The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About The Starting Number Of Warframe Slots.

Edrep

I feel like 2 is pretty harshly low.  That leaves people who decide to play for free with one slot beyond what you get to start with.  Personally I would feel a lot better with 3 slots, or a way to obtain slots without having to pay (most likely via blueprints obtained from alerts/daily log-ins ala potato style).

My reasoning is that there are a pretty large difference between warframes and their play styles.  Right now I would say there's at least 3 archetypes of frames: Stealth (which from what I heard in the dev stream is being worked on to make it more prevalent), Support, and Offensive.  Those are pretty general categories but I feel that 3 leaves enough variety for the players who are not paying.  If possible though allowing players to obtain slots without paying is the choice of preference.  It's currently impossible to simultaneously own everything without paying.

This is honestly the single aspect of the game that I feel shafts the f2p players the most.  Personally I've spent some money because I'm impatient, but I have friends who haven't spent money and can't, due to their financial situations, that are pretty upset at their inability to have more frames.

*EDIT*  I was reminded of the 50 platinum that you receive when you start.  While it's true that you can just spend that on slots, new players have no way of knowing that the number of slots that has is limited and will never increase without use of platinum.  Giving players a satisfactory number of starting slots would give the player more choice as to what to spend their platinum on rather than the current system which is "If you don't buy at least 1 slot you've probably made a mistake."

Edited by BillionStorm

Remember that you also get 50  free Pt - that's more than enough for 2 more slots. Personally I'm against any repetitive way to get slots like blueprints or credits purchase however slots as mastery rank rewards seems quite fair.

you also have to take into account that this is a free game, and if the devs make too much free ppl wont pay. Now that's not really a problem with warframe since it has grown so large and as you said some people get impatient and pay anyway. But there is still the issue some people make random accounts that never get used enough to even fill the two slots. Those accounts are often just mistakenly made with a wrong email address or as just a test. But yea if you get past a certain milestone that says "you've played this game enough that you should get medical help" then yes you should be rewarded, because you have invested so much time, and time equals money. :D

Remember that you also get 50  free Pt - that's more than enough for 2 more slots. Personally I'm against any repetitive way to get slots like blueprints or credits purchase however slots as mastery rank rewards seems quite fair.

I did forget about this.  There should be an achievement required to get that, something easy like a tutorial.  Basically they give it to you but you have no idea what to spend it on.  My friend spent it on mod boosters because he really likes booster packs (SPOILER: Lots of people love boosters).  I spent it on potatoes thinking I was so clever.  They should somehow let you know what options you have and the implications of them for that 50 platinum.

actually if u buy the warframes with platinum. that slot doesnt matter

bought some WFs, and the slot keep expanding without have to buy additional slot

not sure tho

Yes, but if you buy platinum this isn't a problem anyway.  This is a thread for the people who don't buy platinum for whatever reason.

That is a very good idea.Still DE must eat.

actually if u buy the warframes with platinum. that slot doesnt matter

bought some WFs, and the slot keep expanding without have to buy additional slot

not sure tho

Platinum-bough warframes and weapons comes with own slot and pre-installed  Reactor/Catalyst.

Keep calm and how about no.

1. Spent your plat to the potatoes. And see that maxing it is only matter of 2 days

2. Reset your account and try this time to spent your 50 free plat for the 2 additional warframe slots.

Hey! you steal the bread out of the mouth of the DE's.. Stop it!!

This is a bit of a moot point.  The f2p with micro-transactions model has proven itself to be the most profitable system for MMOs.  That being said most MMOs do not typically have anything affecting game play that cannot be obtained without paying at all.  "But the devs have to make their money," is a mentality of people scared that nobody will spend money on their game.  The game is fun and there is significant reason to spend money even without the need to buy Warframe slots.  Of the people I know who play f2p games 100% of the people who usually spend money have already spent money on Warframe and 100% of the people who usually do not spend money have not.  It's a small sampling, but that's typically the trend in f2p games.  If a person is going to spend money they will and if not they won't.

Keep calm and how about no.

1. Spent your plat to the potatoes. And see that maxing it is only matter of 2 days

2. Reset your account and try this time to spent your 50 free plat for the 2 additional warframe slots.

Making a player reset all of their hard earned progress (even if it took only 2 days) because they made a mistake early on is extremely poor design.

Didn't they mention slots for Mastery Ranks at one point?

Perhaps every 2 Mastery Levels you get 1 of each slot or something?

That way at Mastery 2, you have 3 Warframe Slots, and at mastery 8 you max out at 6?

+2 from your 50Pt gives you 8 Warframe Slots.

That's plenty if you're Free-to-Play; there's only what, 14 warframes in the game now + antimatter that's coming?

This is a bit of a moot point.  The f2p with micro-transactions model has proven itself to be the most profitable system for MMOs.  That being said most MMOs do not typically have anything affecting game play that cannot be obtained without paying at all.  "But the devs have to make their money," is a mentality of people scared that nobody will spend money on their game.  The game is fun and there is significant reason to spend money even without the need to buy Warframe slots.  Of the people I know who play f2p games 100% of the people who usually spend money have already spent money on Warframe and 100% of the people who usually do not spend money have not.  It's a small sampling, but that's typically the trend in f2p games.  If a person is going to spend money they will and if not they won't.

Making a player reset all of their hard earned progress (even if it took only 2 days) because they made a mistake early on is extremely poor design.

Warframe isn't an MMO.  In a genuine MMO, FTP players are valuable.  They add to the pool of population in major locations, the availability of other players for grouping, the trading pool for the economy.   Currently, Warframe lacks nearly all the reasons a developer would actually want FTP players to begin with.  There are no central regions to feel populated or depopulated, nearly the entire game can be soloed easily, and there's no trading.

Until more of the social elements make it in, FTP players are more a cost then an asset.  From a simple business perspective, I'd expect Warframe FTP to be treated essentially as an extended demo.

Warframe slots are something that directly influences the needed server capacity, meaning those slots actually cost DE money.

I think it's just fair that you have to may a measly amount of platinum to have multiple frames.

Mastery ranks should give slots, different slots at different ranks. It would make sense, since you have to have use more weapons to rank up.

Warframe isn't an MMO.  In a genuine MMO, FTP players are valuable.  They add to the pool of population in major locations, the availability of other players for grouping, the trading pool for the economy.   Currently, Warframe lacks nearly all the reasons a developer would actually want FTP players to begin with.  There are no central regions to feel populated or depopulated, nearly the entire game can be soloed easily, and there's no trading.

Until more of the social elements make it in, FTP players are more a cost then an asset.  From a simple business perspective, I'd expect Warframe FTP to be treated essentially as an extended demo.

but in the last stream they said they were going to be adding trading, and its getting hard to get more ppl into clans because everyone is already in one. This means FTP players are becoming more necessary, so it is possible that some more features will be added to FTP players

Explain League of Legends's success then.  It has similar traits in that the only thing free players contribute to are queue times.  More players = more publicity and any publicity is good publicity.  The more popular the game gets the more people that will come in and the more likely they are to spend money.

Personally I think DE should get rid of limited inventory, they should be focused on getting money for adding content instead.

id love to see some new content yeah :) i feel like mastery ranks could give more bonuses like random reward for every "lvl up" but the rewards would be specific for lvl ups like: extra warframe slot, potato, 20%resource drop rate or something :x 

Explain League of Legends's success then.  It has similar traits in that the only thing free players contribute to are queue times.  More players = more publicity and any publicity is good publicity.  The more popular the game gets the more people that will come in and the more likely they are to spend money.

If I'm not incorrect, LoL is largely PvP, isn't it?  There's your value to free players.

I feel like 2 is pretty harshly low.  That leaves people who decide to play for free with one slot beyond what you get to start with.  Personally I would feel a lot better with 3 slots, or a way to obtain slots without having to pay (most likely via blueprints obtained from alerts/daily log-ins ala potato style).

There is a way to get more without paying. It's the 50 platinum you start with. Can get two warframe slots with that if you want. Though one slot (puts you at the 3 that you wanted) and four weapon slots is a better way to spend it (in my opinion). Should they tell you how you should spend it? Well... maybe. They could make you aware of warframe slots from the start. Is it made intentionally open so that new players spend it elsewhere and feel the need to buy platinum to make up for wasting it? Well... maybe.