Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plasma as a base element for more variation

Fylas

Hello people :O!

What I mean is that plasma as a state of matter where atoms are pumped so full of thermal energy their atoms lose electrons is highly energetic and thus quite volatile without proper containment. The idea is that Plasma as a base element could combine with other elements like fire, cold, toxin electricity, for weaker, more volatile forms that produce a small local aoe effect like gas does. This would give certain rapid fire or high status weapons new ways to use em against large groups or crowd control  as well as let people mod melee weapons with a new elemental effect to pretend they are waving around a lightsaber :O WOOSH! nyeoown~

I know it still needs work but that's what discussions are for :D personaly I'd love the idea of weaker or shorter effects with a new combination to alter how you can use a weapon.

Basic idea for combinations and effects

Plasma = highly energetic matter, massive damage on shields as well as alloy armor   nigh instant melting of flesh and cauterization (read burning out) of wound causes a paralytic shock that stuns the surviving victim for  a short period of time.

Plasma + Toxin = highly unstable acidic compound that triggers a splash aoe effect, weaker form of acid that only reduces armor by 10% instead of 25% per trigger in return for affecting multiple enemies in a small area

Plasma + Electricity = plasma sheathed in a electric cover produces a small area of impact emp effect similar to magnetic if proc is triggered. think jupitel thunder from ragnarok online :o

Plasma + cold = opposing forces create a small gravity anomaly that pulls enemies close to the point of impact, good for chokepoints in corridors and such

Plasma + fire = fusion highly saturated plasma that when impacting a enemy on proc activation triggers a fusion of hydrogen atoms into helium, creating a aoe radiation effect

5 minutes ago, Fylas said:

Plasma = highly energetic matter, massive damage on shields as well as alloy armor   nigh instant melting of flesh and cauterization (read burning out) of wound causes a paralytic shock that stuns the surviving victim for  a short period of time.

New Flavour of the Century right there. Say goodbye to using anything else if not for the proc lemao.

Otherwise interesting idea though I'd say I'm on the fence about it. Corrosive/Cold is my go-to for status cannons.

2 minutes ago, Keybopsef said:

New Flavour of the Century right there. Say goodbye to using anything else if not for the proc lemao.

Otherwise interesting idea though I'd say I'm on the fence about it. Corrosive/Cold is my go-to for status cannons.

there are ways to balance it out like reduced damage from the elemental combos on most enemies it also helps that you need to proc 3 times as much for the same duration /effect :o

47 minutes ago, taiiat said:

Plasma as a Damage Type makes no sense because the difference between it and Heat/Fire Damage is literally zero.

unnecessarily frivolous feature.

plasma is a aggregate state like gaseous solid and frozen,  heat is just heat, a large amount of thermal energy while plasma is the resoult of any form of matter being energized to a point the electrons orbit the atom on such a distance they can no longer be contained by the attraction from the proton filled core.

TL DR plasma is a state of matter, heat is a form of energy.  so there IS a difference

Edited by Fylas
removed a excess E in matter >///>

23 minutes ago, Fylas said:

-snip-

no. this is a Video Game, they are the effectively the same thing. a source of Thermal Energy, and an extreme source of Thermal Energy.
to be more precise, as far as a Video Game is concerned, Plasma an Napalm are identical.

a high source of energy, and a high source of energy. the best you can do to differentiate is for Plasma being represented by 'rainbowing' the facets of it together, mixing Electricity, Thermal, Radiation, and Magnetic together.
but that's still not very interesting because it's basically what we already have.

Plasma is highly useful in reality, but a Vidjya Game has no concept of temperature or energy level, they're handled as binary states because not many games are looking to be a 'research lab simulator'.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)BY-51 said:

With that logic Entropy shouldn't be a syndicate procs. 

with that logic you make no sense.

it's a Radial Status Application of one of the Damage Types in the game. that Damage Type is distinctly different from the others.
that makes sense. it's not realistic but the game isn't in the first place. the other Syndicate Explosions work under similar pretenses. a radial Status and Damage Application of varying Damage Types, with various extra Effects on the side.

Science rules all. but this is a Video Game, and we're making a game first, not a replication of the universe.
people should try to understand that.

7 hours ago, Fylas said:

Interesting, but overpowered. I would make a couple of tweaks to balance it. For example, remove the final stun. Its ilogic and op.

Then, as it damages efectively all types of defenses, make it do a little damage only.

Then for the effects i think they are fine.

To shields makes logic that plasma destroys them, and maybe would be nice to leave them un-rechargable forever or for X time.

To alloy armor makes logic also that it gets melted because of the overheat.

And for flesh the cauterization proc its nice, but maybe an addon that when an enemy is cauterized cannot heal would be cool.

10 hours ago, taiiat said:

no. this is a Video Game, they are the effectively the same thing. a source of Thermal Energy, and an extreme source of Thermal Energy.
to be more precise, as far as a Video Game is concerned, Plasma an Napalm are identical.

a high source of energy, and a high source of energy. the best you can do to differentiate is for Plasma being represented by 'rainbowing' the facets of it together, mixing Electricity, Thermal, Radiation, and Magnetic together.
but that's still not very interesting because it's basically what we already have.

Plasma is highly useful in reality, but a Vidjya Game has no concept of temperature or energy level, they're handled as binary states because not many games are looking to be a 'research lab simulator'.

A video game has no actual science or laws of nature. So you might as well have cold fire, water that burns and fekk'n space ninjas using magic.

2 hours ago, tbeest said:

A video game has no actual science or laws of nature. So you might as well have cold fire, water that burns and fekk'n space ninjas using magic.

indeed. (even though the first two things there are actually possible)

but you need to make it different to make it worthwhile. and if you just start inventing magic to make it different, you're better off giving it a magic name too, to avoid confusion.

Edited by taiiat

We already have quite enough base elements, thank you very much. If this idea were to be carried forward, do you know what would happen? Each and every enemy would have to have their resistance/weakness to this 5th element added, and its elemental combos with the 4 existing elements would need to be added, and then the weaknesses and resistances to THOSE would need to be added.

EDIT: Oh, and then MODS for this new element would have to be added, of course. All in all, quite the hassle for something we definitely don't need that would just further complicate modding and damage.

Furthermore, the element and its combinations seem very, very redundant, and fairly OP as well. They're basically just souped-up verisons of existing procs, with the nonsensical bonus of being AoE, and the whole point about modding is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. That is to say, you have to specialize as opposed to just modding for everything.

Of course, your language on exactly what your proposed elements do is a bit ambiguous, but I have a strong suspicion that this idea is flat out bad as opposed to just being badly explained.

Edited by Dreddeth
Forgot the mods.

Oh wow so many posts while I was asleep X_X okay okay.. how about it being simpler? instead of a combo element it being a available base element for new energy weapons ? then like puncture or slash it would only have 1 proc and does not combine with other elements with reduced proc chance compared to added elemental procs :O!