Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are status builds worth? What are they good for?

Prepotenza

Question

The time to understand what are status weapons good for has come.
I generally mod weapons looking for critical chance, that seems the strongest way to mod things for (unless particular cases like Covert Lethality).
I heard somewhere that status weapons are great.
In the past I made many 2h survival, 100 waves defense without having a single status weapon in team, so they are not required to play end game content.
Then I'm wondering, what are they good for? I can think of Blast and Radiation as CCs, but honestly there are many frames that can CC a large area without having to actually target enemies.
Corrisive Proc is useless due to usually having more than 100% enemy armor reduction, Viral Proc looks good, but.. Saryn you know... as for the others I can think of anything particularly good.
So why do I keep reading about people modding things for status? What are they good for?

21 answers to this question

Just now, Sitchrea said:

So I guess you've never heard of a Lanka gas build, have you?

No I haven't, my Lanka has the most classical critical build. But I never use Lanka, I don't like snipers in this game. I sometimes use it paired with Mag bubble.

Well, if you have a good composition, status weapon are not mandatory. But if you wanna use something else than corrosive projection on high level content ( meaning, useless long survival run, because sorties doesn't provide enough challenge ) you'll need a high status corrosive weapon for armor, and some control status for squishies. ( fire, rad, ice etc )

Besides, some weapons can be hybrid. My akstilleto prime are 95%status 37% crit, and with viral or corrosive it is very effective.

I could mention my favorite build, ignis RoF 100%status( per second ) with radiation or gaz, it is hilarious and very effective. As an example, i've done 40min solo survival with a squishy frame( I know it's not exceptionnal but it's for the purpose of demonstrating ) because ignis's range is great and I could apply radiation to ennemies through walls, so they'd virtually never come at me. Instead, they'd kill each other and all I had to do was to finish off heavies.

From a certain level onwards, status weapons outperform crit weapons in terms of dps due to enemy scaling (viral procs, corrosive procs reduce enemy surviveability a lot). AoE status weapons like pox or torid can be used to completely lock down chokepoints with blast and electricity procs, giving teamates more than enough time to finish them off (or your other weapon).

1 minute ago, Mideto said:

Well, if you have a good composition, status weapon are not mandatory. But if you wanna use something else than corrosive projection on high level content ( meaning, useless long survival run, because sorties doesn't provide enough challenge ) you'll need a high status corrosive weapon for armor, and some control status for squishies. ( fire, rad, ice etc )

Besides, some weapons can be hybrid. My akstilleto prime are 95%status 37% crit, and with viral or corrosive it is very effective.

I could mention my favorite build, ignis RoF 100%status( per second ) with radiation or gaz, it is hilarious and very effective. As an example, i've done 40min solo survival with a squishy frame( I know it's not exceptionnal but it's for the purpose of demonstrating ) because ignis's range is great and I could apply radiation to ennemies through walls, so they'd virtually never come at me. Instead, they'd kill each other and all I had to do was to finish off heavies.

Doesn't sound great to me at all. With 3x Coaction Drift you can actually run with over 100% enemy armor reduction, and the 4th guy can use a rifle amp aura or something else.
If they are good just to apply CC I'll stick to my critical builds and start moaning about players that actually use status weapons.
There are too many frames that can CC greatly, I don't think a weapon is needed. But anyway non-melee weapons have a really bad scaling, so I might try some status builds on them.
Ignis will be my first choice, but I would like to know some other weapons that can apply a status in an area, or share it to other enemies etc.

10 minutes ago, Prepotenza said:

Doesn't sound great to me at all. With 3x Coaction Drift you can actually run with over 100% enemy armor reduction, and the 4th guy can use a rifle amp aura or something else.
If they are good just to apply CC I'll stick to my critical builds and start moaning about players that actually use status weapons.
There are too many frames that can CC greatly, I don't think a weapon is needed. But anyway non-melee weapons have a really bad scaling, so I might try some status builds on them.
Ignis will be my first choice, but I would like to know some other weapons that can apply a status in an area, or share it to other enemies etc.

As I said, with corrosive projection you can go all crit if you want, but be aware of some facts first : 

- Nullifier bubble take less damage from a crit weapon, because crit damage doesn't work on it. It can be dangerous at some point where multiple high level nullifiers are in da place 

- Status helps getting rid of aura ( Radiation ) That can be very usefull when there're multiple parasite eximus or damage reducing ancient aura.

- Scaling is the nemesis of crit weapon. At some point even a Gaz ignis will deal more than a Soma P crit, because of the proc.

- Finally, in pubs you are not sure allies will use corrosive, nor coaction drift, because some frames prefer to use siphon, growing power, steel charge...Having a corrosive weapon always help. In an organized team, even 3 corrosive projection with 3 coaction is a huge sacrifice depending on what frame you play. For instance,  valkyr/wukong/chroma/any melee frame would benefit more from 3 steel charge with coaction, and a corrosive melee weap ( or viral slash) than 3 corrosive p.

That's just my opinion, if you wanna play full crit with CP, go ahead :D

Edited by Mideto

11 minutes ago, Prepotenza said:

Status is an alternate modding style not the end all/be all of DPS.  Some weapons can work wonders with it, others not so much. Generally speaking critical are going to put damage status until you hit that hump where health scaling hits unreal levels. 

As far as weapons, Torrid, Boar Prime, any of the Tigris series any of the grakata series. 

Edited by xRufus7x

12 minutes ago, Prepotenza said:

Another good example of status builds outdamaging crit/normal builds that's seldom mentioned by people is the Tigris Prime. Basically, that thing has an insane potential for a bleed status build since it has a very high slash damage along with high status chance. The moment an enemy doesn't survive the initial shots, they'll usually bleed to death due to its insanely high bleed DoT (even the heavily armored ones because bleed effects bypass armor).

Also, you can create CC combinations better than the ones offered by normal/crit weapons. For example, you can create a "Nyx gun" using a Burston Prime/Akstiletto Prime with status build and radiation elemental.

I generally use Status builds on the Corpus or Infested.

A magnetic, gas build, (On my Braton P) tears through the Corpus like no other. It is, to me, much more satisfying to use as well.

Edited by PoisonHD

39 minutes ago, Prepotenza said:

Corrisive Proc is useless due to usually having more than 100% enemy armor reduction, Viral Proc looks good, but.. Saryn you know... as for the others I can think of anything particularly good.

Corrosive is good, especially for solo.  There are a number of high dmg, aoe weapons that can proc status quickly.  Status on melee weapons, especially slash weapons, is extremely good.  It will stack on the slash that ignores armor and shields quickly.  There are a number of reasons to use status weapons, one of which is corpus.  A lot of corpus have very high shields, toxin/gas procs ignore them.

Gas in general can be pretty great in high levels, it will eat away at enemies very quickly.  Sometimes I use nukor in sorties with gas.  Of course it also works very well with Saryn, as her spores carry viral and toxin procs to everyone within range, that is how she gets her dps.

If you are using CPx4 then you don't have to worry about armor so viral/gas builds can be really effective to really destroy enemies.  There are a number of frames that rely heavily on weapons to do their damage as their abilities alone are just buffs and don't do damage on their own.  Rhino's roar, Mirage's twilight are a couple examples, these boost damage nicely and work well with slash/viral/gas proccing weapons.  And of course banshee can turn any aoe weapon into some insane damage.

Overall most status procs are terrible, puncture is pretty worthless (lowers THEIR damage), impact knocks things down but does little in the way of damage against the majority of enemies, radiation is fun but is resisted by most things except a few grineer.

One of the things we hope to see in damage 3.0 if it ever happens is for status to be comparatively viable with crit.

Remember the level 9999 survival alert? Some people did it without the Covert Lethality cheese. They used status weapons :P

In your post you mentioned blast, viral, corrosive, radiation. You forgot about the glorious gas. Never forget the glorious gas.

Depends on weapon. From my experience majority of status weapons are rather bad. So, you can CC them. Too bad you still need to kill them and frames do CC way better. But there are notable exceptions. I'm listing those I've used and can confirm are good.

Tigris Prime is status beast. With four dual stat elementals is reaches 100% status chance. It means every pellet crits and thanks to its dominant slash damage you can shred literally everything. Effective especially vs armored mobs.

Ignis: Ignis' power lies in its AoE. It's weak vs single target but great versus groups. Mod for CC and watch groups of mobs constantly knocked down or electrocuted while receiving damage.

Gas modded Exalted Blade used on blinded mobs. Toxic clouds will murder lvl 100+ easily. Only issue is EB's low status.

To answer OP's question; yes. I'll just summarize it all simply just in case anyone else is curious. These:

Impact b Impact Knockback (Staggers movement for a brief second)
Puncture b Puncture Weaken (Reduces damage dealt by 30% for 6 seconds)
Slash b Slash Bleed (Deals additional 245% base Finishing damage over 6 seconds)
Cold b Cold Freeze (Reduces movement speed, fire rate, and attack speed by 50% for 6 seconds)
Electricity b Electricity Chain Lightning (Deals additional 50% base damage to enemies within 5m of target, stuns them briefly)
Heat b Heat Ignite (Deals additional 350% base damage over 6 seconds, causes panic on target)
Toxin b Toxin Poison (Deals additional 450% base damage over 8 seconds)
Blast b Blast Knockdown (Stuns target and enemies within 5m)
Corrosive b Corrosive Corrode (Reduces current Armor by 25%, permanently)
Gas b Gas Poison Cloud (Target and enemies within 5m suffer Toxin b Toxin damage)
Magnetic b Magnetic Disrupt (Reduces maximum shield by 75% for 4 seconds and drains all energy)
Radiation b Radiation Confusion (Enemies may target their allies for 12 seconds; afflicts Tenno for 4 seconds instead)
Viral b Viral Virus (Reduces current and maximum health by 50% for 8 seconds)

are very useful.

Generally that means you can only combine elements as follows (will list what faction this makes them good against on a general basis):

Corrosive (Toxic+Electric) + Blast (Fire+Cold) > Infested + Corrupted

Radiation (Electric+Fire) + Viral (Toxic+Cold) > Grineer + Robotic

Magnetic (Electric+Cold) + Gas (Toxic+Fire) > Corpus

So basically you could categorize elements in three subtypes if you think about it:

CC - Blast, Electricity, Impact, Radiation

Damage - Bleeding, Gas, Heat, Toxic

Debuff -  Cold, Corrossive, Magnetic, Puncture, Viral

This can lead to some decent combinations. If for example you have a high status chance with slash damage on your weapon you could combine it with gas or viral to deal lethal damage to most foes or impact and blast to skyrocket enemies to the moon - perfect for interception missions. Look for weapons that come with predetermined elements (particularly dual ones) so you can have great situational types. A gun with corrosive would be perfect against the grineer for example as you can throw on radiation and viral so there's not a single unit whose armor you can't tear through.

I'm actually glad I clicked on this thread myself as I had always been lead to believe gas was useless. I may do some playtesting now for curiosity but it's good to know there's always something different you can unearth with this game.

On October 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Prepotenza said:

The time to understand what are status weapons good for has come.
I generally mod weapons looking for critical chance, that seems the strongest way to mod things for (unless particular cases like Covert Lethality).
I heard somewhere that status weapons are great.
In the past I made many 2h survival, 100 waves defense without having a single status weapon in team, so they are not required to play end game content.
Then I'm wondering, what are they good for? I can think of Blast and Radiation as CCs, but honestly there are many frames that can CC a large area without having to actually target enemies.
So why do I keep reading about people modding things for status? What are they good for?

100% Status corrosive boar p can shred armor.