The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

body diversity in lady frames

senatorspade

Just now, tnccs215 said:

This might not be common knowledge, but bulky women do exist irl.

Also, neither does Atlas or Inaros look human

You don't understand what I said do you?

I did not mean that bulky woman does not exist irl. I meant that if there is a bulky woman warframe, it'd still difficult for the player to know if the frame is woman or not without digging in the lore.

Equinox day form is the biggest example. You just can tell that's a female form until you actually read it in the wiki.

3 minutes ago, ClinkzEastwood said:

You don't understand what I said do you?

I did not mean that bulky woman does not exist irl. I meant that if there is a bulky woman warframe, it'd still difficult for the player to know if the frame is woman or not without digging in the lore.

Equinox day form is the biggest example. You just can tell that's a female form until you actually read it in the wiki.

So, are you saying that

1)it's impossible for a woman to be bulky without being "masculine"? Cause that goes against personal experience dealing with people and characters;

2)Women characters cant be masculine? There are masculine women irl, why not in games too? And

3)It's mandatory for a videogame character's sex to be obvious at first glance? Cause last time I checked, the world didn't end when Equinox was introduced.

Edited by tnccs215

7 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

So, are you saying that

1)it's impossible for a woman to be bulky without being "masculine"? Cause that goes against personal experience dealing with people and characters;

2)Women characters cant be masculine? There are masculine women irl, why not in games too? And

3)It's mandatory for a videogame character's sex to be obvious at first glance? Cause last time I checked, the world didn't end when Equinox was introduced.

I'm not saying that. Stop putting words into my mouth.

What I'm saying is Warframes are not really 100% human looking, so it's hard to create a bulky/muscular female form that's is distinctive from a bulky/muscular male form.

I mean, if someone from DE coming out saying Hydroid or Rhino or Inaros is actually female, it'd would still be acceptable, since their body form are so general and carry features of both human male and female.

Edited by ClinkzEastwood

20 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

Go check the several pictures of beefed women in here. There isn't one like those in Warframe, trully.

So provide these pics, please.

Quite the contrary. it means there is no reason not to make a beefy female character, because human physique laws don't apply.

Similarly, there is no reason to make a beefy female character

I think you don't know what "muscular" means. And it goes beyond muscle. simple shape. Atlas is distinctively inhuman, and Rhino is so too. wether is muscle, bone or fat is irrelevant.

What I want to say is most of "bulkiness" of these frames come from bulky armors, not from bulky bodies. Most if not all female frames have skintight suits so their body shapes are easier to see.

23 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I never said you said I said that. If I had said you said I said that then I would have said that.  :)

I... give up...

19 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Or did you mean that *neither* men nor women look like strongmen without steroids?

This part

I mean, if someone from DE coming out saying Hydroid or Rhino or Inaros is actually female, it'd would still be acceptable, since their body form are so general and carry features of both human male and female.

Rhino would be hard to swallow (no pun intended) because of that ridiculous codpiece. But Hydroid is basically a shapeless pile of rubber, so I'm afraid you're correct. Nobody could argue if DE said he was a she. But I still don't see that as a reason to not implement bulkier females. Nobody's upset that you can't tell Hydroid is a man, so why would people be upset if a bulky women were introduced?

I'm not saying that. Stop putting words into my mouth.

What I'm saying is Warframes are not really 100% human looking, so it's hard to create a bulky/muscular female form that's is distinctive from a bulky/muscular male form.

Ok, I see.

than the question is: So what?

Because I really don't see the issue. It doesn't really matter that you need "confirmation" to be secure that a character as a certain sex due to their ambiguity. After all, as I said, there really is no creative law defining that male and female characters must be instantaneously distinguishable.

4 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

I'm sure if DE came up with a concept for a bulky female frame, it would count as a reason. I mean, what is the reason for making bulky male frames?

5 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I'm sure if DE came up with a concept for a bulky female frame, it would count as a reason. I mean, what is the reason for making bulky male frames?

I agree on that- after all cowboys are usually depicted as men- but I really have no idea with what theme they could go

5 hours ago, senatorspade said:

I'm just wondering, all the lady frames are beautiful and I love them, but I really think there could be tankier looking ladies. The male frames range from Nezha and Nekros to Rhino and Chroma. and it would be great if this same diversity in body types could be applied to lady frames. I'm in no way saying that sexy feminine lady frames are a bad thing, I'm totally in love with them. Some people might argue that lady frames should all be feminine to differentiate them from males, but characters like nezha and oberon's feyarch skin have feminine features too. Again, not saying lady frames shouldn't be feminine, femininity is great and should never be looked down on. But their body types are just too constant. A frame can be bulky and still be feminine too. Not looking to start any arguements, simply providing constructive criticism. 

we have frames that range from trinity to saryn so...

also cant forget about how beefy zephyr can look.

oh and how slim titania is.

and ivara....

the list goes on

I think DE should keep designing frames based on theme and fun abilities.

If they come up with one that calls for a buff/curvy body then that's great, though I don't think the bodytype should be the basis on which they design the frame.

11 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

So provide these pics, please.

womeninsports3.jpg

5a215e27bc5b7303553f53385f03cf54.jpg005A.jpg?cfaea8

All bulky, none monstruous.

I think "people want to play a bulkier female character, as evidenced by the ocasional thread on the forums" is a good enough reason.

What I want to say is most of "bulkiness" of these frames come from bulky armors, not from bulky bodies. Most if not all female frames have skintight suits so their body shapes are easier to see.

Mh... Than why not introduce a female frame without skin tight armor? There is an obvious demand for bulky female frames, regardless of where that bulkiness comes from; and female frames in this game don't designed exclusively to pander to the male gaze.

Again, no logical reason preventing the introduction of one...

5 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

I agree on that- after all cowboys are usually depicted as men- but I really have no idea with what theme they could go

Well...Easter island, Artic, Celtic tank,... The list is quite literally infinite.

tbh, any theme good for a bulky male frame is good for a bulky female frame.

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. What, uh... what's your point?

What I'm trying to say, to put it bluntly is that It looks like a very skillful photoshop of making a man look like a woman but I know it's not.  I'm not a apologist and I'm not going to apologize for what I see.  I will however say that she has a wonderful figure, much better than mine (which I already said, if you cannot understand what I'm saying now Azrael..., read again?)

1 hour ago, tnccs215 said:

eh, that ends up being the issue of this society, doesn't it?

So focused on the differences that we forget male and female body types can actually overlap quite a bit. Instead of that, we say that women with muscular bodies have "a men body" and men with skinny, large hipped bodies have "a feminine body".... even though one is obviously a woman and the other obviously a man.

So yeah, maybe we should stop ensuring we can differentiate men from women and start ensuring good diversity in characters. After all, I think making people happy is more important then differentiating them.

Being honest I rather have all the Warframes be as identifiable as the Skells (Mechs) From Xenoblade Chronicles X.  I don't play warframe for the genders so much as I do just the theme they bring to the game themselves.  so in the end it kind just blurs to me in the end but eh.

1 hour ago, morningstar999 said:

but small boobs can be good boobs. 

also there's nothing wrong with a female looking a bit more 'manish' and not a delicate flower! 

love from a bisexual woman x 

I mistook Nezha as a young girl at first, its the slender/smaller build/ pigtail extras and more delicate movements he has. But thats mostly down to it being a more 'young boyish frame' 

-I dunno the idea a school girl like frame killing tonnes of big buff Grineer amused me more. 

at the end of the day how a frame looks doesn't stop me from enjoying/using it. 

Never said there was anything wrong, it's just unusual.

Just now, tnccs215 said:

why?

There are people wanting diversity in female body types so there is a "realistic" body type for women. Keeping the design for warframes in mind, slightly bulkier than valkyr is realistic to what a female can achieve without immense amounts of drugs, zarya build isn't. Like I said above, there is a difference between a large woman and a fat woman. Bulkier than Valkyr is large. What it appears that some players want is atlas with boobs which, while being diverse, is kinda jarring.

20 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

for example, check this:

2 minutes ago, achromos said:

Being honest I rather have all the Warframes be as identifiable as the Skells (Mechs) From Xenoblade Chronicles X.  I don't play warframe for the genders so much as I do just the theme they bring to the game themselves.  so in the end it kind just blurs to me in the end but eh.

Agreed. Never made sense to me why should frames have gender in the first place. Killing machines don't need secondary sexual characteristics after all.

5 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

All bulky, none monstruous.

Majority of these women have fairly similar shapes to warframes.

8 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

I think "people want to play a bulkier female character, as evidenced by the ocasional thread on the forums" is a good enough reason.

And I want heavy metal frame. And some guys want anime frames. Does it mean they should be introduced?

10 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

Mh... Than why not introduce a female frame without skin tight armor? There is an obvious demand for bulky female frames, regardless of where that bulkiness comes from; and female frames in this game don't designed exclusively to pander to the male gaze.

You keep arguing over bulky women. Then you suddenly say she can be slim if she has bulky armor.

11 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

Again, no logical reason preventing the introduction of one...

Again, no logical reason to introduce one.

9 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

Well...Easter island, Artic, Celtic tank,... The list is quite literally infinite.

tbh, any theme good for a bulky male frame is good for a bulky female frame.

I don't know about Easter Island and by Arctic I assume you mean spirit/shaman theme. This could work though shaman theme is usually associated with Native Americans and ice is already Frost's domain.

Celtic tank, on the other hand, is essentially barbarian warrior, therefore Conan. So no, not every theme good for a man is good for woman and vice versa

1 minute ago, LordOfScrugging said:

There are people wanting diversity in female body types so there is a "realistic" body type for women. Keeping the design for warframes in mind, slightly bulkier than valkyr is realistic to what a female can achieve without immense amounts of drugs, zarya build isn't. Like I said above, there is a difference between a large woman and a fat woman. Bulkier than Valkyr is large. What it appears that some players want is atlas with boobs which, while being diverse, is kinda jarring.

Ehrm... Thing is, Warframes, has characthers, end up being caricatures.

A character's physique transpires more a personality than actual physical atributes.

So even if a bulky female frame is unrealistically bulky, they will still enjoy playing with it.

If we would to limit female build variety to "slightly bulkier than Valkyr" (which, btw, is a much narrower bulkiness range that actual female bodies can belong to), than we would also have to limit male build... Rhino would have to get more belly and larger hips, inaros would have to get a bit larger on their belly, and Atlas would have to be fully reworked.

If people are asking for it, and there is no logical ingame rule to prevent it, there is no reason to limit creative freedom because of "realism"-- specially when that realism isn't even has varied as actual reality.

11 minutes ago, achromos said:

What I'm trying to say, to put it bluntly is that It looks like a very skillful photoshop of making a man look like a woman but I know it's not.  I'm not a apologist and I'm not going to apologize for what I see.  I will however say that she has a wonderful figure, much better than mine (which I already said, if you cannot understand what I'm saying now Azrael..., read again?)

Okay, maybe I should ask my question again, a little clearer. What does this have to do with the topic, or anything? Why are you even saying this? Did you just want to comment on her? Or was there some connection that I can't see?