Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Strange "Defeat Chroma: Tharsis, Mars" too hard for new players

[DE]Saske

The last mission of the New Strange Quest is a 10 wave defense against lvl 20-25 enemies, on the last waves even Nulifiers and Corpus tech spawn.

Frankly this is too hard for newer players, why you see people asking for help for that specific mission all the time in region and recruiting chat. 

Having soloed this myself using a non-potato Rhino with a non-potato Hek shotgun, this mission is not too hard for new players.  Nevermind that Frost is now obtainable from the Mars boss, and that players will have access to Jupiter by the time The New Strange roles around to get neural sensors, even the easy mode defense is available to a solo player.  I will also echo ClockworkSpectre, no one said every single mission in the starchart and quests must be solo-able.  Building a team for a challenging mission is not a bad thing, and frankly it helps the community grow.

Takes a bit of knowledge of what to bring, did it on my new player account with frost + augmented Hek and Simulor Gammacor.  Multi globe the defence point so they had to get though at least 1 layer of globes to hit the terminal with heals from the hek and power from gammacor.

Biggest problems are the grenade drones and as you said the Nullifiers.  Since the buffs to mobs in recent and not so recent patches some quests have become harder solo asc DE have never done a revamp to account for the mob changes in quests.

For a new player, yes, its bad pacing but otherwise it represents a gear check which can show mid-range players that they need to work on their gear or strategies before continuing. The problem stems also from the mission's nature as a defense in a quest versus standard mission - many players would associate them with a similar level of challenge when the final defense does have increased difficultly for players who haven't even breached a Derelict defense before.

The problem that I have with this mission is that it actually did used to be a hell of a lot easier.

When I did the quest (back in my Mastery Rank 6 days, before Trin Prime or Syndicate Primaries) I did this mission solo without any problems.  After I failed the first time, read up, and modded properly.

Now I'm seeing MR 10's begging for help in recruitment chat, which to me is an indication that either

A)  the Draco Babies are all trying to get Chroma at the same time.

or

B)  something about this mission needs to change.

That being said:

I've helped a couple of teams through the mission now, and I think I've figured out one of the main problems: no one new plays Trinity anymore.

Being an EV Prime main, I can tell you with absolute certainty that even a barely competent EV Trin will make this mission trivial for a team of players who are doing the quest, which leads me to believe that they simply aren't prepared.  Proper modding and a modicum of strategy should enable them to complete the mission without issue.

This leads me to conclude that the above mentioned option A, or something similar, is what's occurring.  The problem Saske is having likely stems from a combination of memories of the quest being easier and assuming that all players are modding properly by the time they reach the end of The New Strange (I know I wasn't).

Bottom line: yes, the mission got harder when the faction was changed from Infested to Corpus.  No, it's not a problem, any more than any other defense mission is a problem.  Dealing with Nullifiers isn't difficult, just annoying.  Employ judicious use of nukeframe (e.g., Mag, Nova) and the nullies will be the only things left.

51 minutes ago, Saske92 said:

The last mission of the New Strange Quest is a 10 wave defense against lvl 20-25 enemies, on the last waves even Nulifiers and Corpus tech spawn.

Frankly this is too hard for newer players, why you see people asking for help for that specific mission all the time in region and recruiting chat. 

I remember doing it alone and to be honest i was pretty geared up. 

Its not an easy mission for new player at all.

I got called a bunch of time by new player who wants to do this part.

Now do this need to be easyer ? I dont think. Maybe giving the tenno a hint to the recruiting channel might be a better idea ^.^

I rly liked when i did it with fellow tenno just to help them.

58 minutes ago, Saske92 said:

Promote team play ? that's a good thing

I disagree with this post simply because I don't think it has anything to do with the difficulty of the game or mission in general, What I think the problem is, is the progression of the game and how players are pointed towards certain quests or game modes to get their equipment, for example you say that quest is to hard for a newer player but now if you take a step back and look at what that new player has access to once they hit that point they can get frost, a multitude of really good mods from void containers, corrupted mods, mods are easier to rank up more than ever before. It's not that the mission is hard people just do not understand how to play the game. People who watch my beginner guide FLY past that point simply because I explain how damage and modding works very early on and that completely destroys the need for a beginner guide atleast imo. 

I did that quest when I was MR7 I think. I entered the last mission with a corrosive build on my hek and my rhino (both had potatos on). After the initial shock of the corpus, I put my head down and fought hard and managed to finish this. It was hard yes, but not undoable. Ofc you cannot do it with unranked gear, but that is to be expected... Frankly, I am pretty used with Rhino and he can handle corpus pretty well, especially the mines and bombs, not sure how other frames would do it but I am sure there is a way.

It all comes down on the frame you use and how you use it and of course your primary. If I had the karak still, I would not even get through the first wave...