Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam revisted, Seperate Clients?

Kaltriya

Question

Ok, so I too have recently discovered the steam exclusive workshop items, and have decided I'd like to try to acquire them (Yes, cash in hand).

So the typical response one gets to "How does one link steam to my WF account" is to "Just log on".  But there seems to be a few side reports that allowing Steam to subsume your standard install will just straight up convert it to a steam game and require the use of the Steam Overlay?  I've seen people talk about not having to do that?  The assumption is that one just has Steam download a second client through it and log in there?

Thanks

-Kalt

7 answers to this question

Different install locations and thus different keys and other things associated in your PC. You have to install through Steam to use it through Steam last I checked. Not really a huge deal, and you can open and run the game from wherever you like, including the other existing install (although it is a separate launcher and must update independently). 

Really no reason not to have it on Steam already.

yes, you just need t login to Warframe through the Steam version of Warframe.

it will link your Steam account to your Warframe account.
no, this doesn't force you to use Steam forever. it changes nothing on your account other than that there is now a Steam account linked to it.

each version of Warframe can also exist on a system at once and they will operate completely independently from each other, should one wish to do that.

Also it is possible to convert your stand alone client to Steam and not have to redownload the whole thing. There is a guide, the guy who wrote it was half drunk when he wrote it but I have personally converted Warframe to Steam, back to stand alone, then back to steam again. I will tell you right now, if you're not kind of an advanced user, or cannot figure out the instructions exactly, you are better off just downloading Warframe through your Steam.

Here is the link to the guide I spoke of, it does work and you wouldn't need to download 18gb just to play it through steam for the tennogen.

Only use the guide if you know what you're doing, have hard drive space or external drive space to back up your warframe just incase. I can answer pretty much all of your questions you may have that isn't found in the guide so if you choose to go this road, I am open to questions.

EDIT: I just noticed there were a couple of comments saying you can just link your warframe through steam, while this is true, you just go to steam and at the bottom left corner, and add a non-steam game to your steam libary. But, this will only link your account and not actually get you the ability to access Tennogen in the Market. It will allow you to get items like Vauban Phased Skin, from the Steam Market but, not Tennogen.

Edited by Alcatraz