Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I haven't played in like, 2 years, where do I go to get up to speed?

Thereddic

Question

So I started playing Warframe about 2-3 days after it went into open Beta. I remember the first public prime frame. I remember when being able to farm that frame was controversial. I remember when Dakra was called Dakka and we all shamed DE over it butchering Ork culture. And I got kinda bored around the time dogs were added and left the game behind. Now I'm back because shooting things is fun (statements to hear out of context). Obviously, there is an absolutely massive amount of new stuff that's been added, I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go. What I mainly want to know is what's good right now. There have been countless mods and mod combos added into the game, rebalances and all sorts of other things that I don't know about and simply put, I have no idea what I should even be looking to right now. Is there a good info repository on what's considered strong right now? What the good builds and mods are and where to find them? Currently in my inventory is the following

Frames: Frost Prime, Ember, Nekros, Trinity

Primary: Paris Prime, Sybaris, Penta, Snipetron Vandal, Latron Wraith, Strun Wraith

Secondary: Dex Furis, Twin Vipers Wraith, Detron, Marelok

Melee: Sheev, Dex Dakra, Dragon Nikana

Any of these still good? Any interesting new weapons that are worth using? Do you all feel like punching the old guy for asking the question that probably comes up every three seconds? I appreciate any guidance I can get.

Well, nikana prime overshadowed dragon nikana.

The other 3 frames have primed versions as well (still waiting for ember prime to be unvaulted in December...or so I hear)

Keep a lookout for mara detron cos there's a new mod exclusively for detron and mara detron that will be coming up when The Index is officially live. (Thermagnetic shells)

Vacuum mod is now applicable to all sentinels.

if u got bored with dogs, there are cats now...chk kavats

Archwing still sucks.

Stuff I recommend u to do:

Finish second dream. Get ur focus system up.

Clear the pluto-sedna junction in preparation for TWW.

Try to get Inaros (mission bp available when baro comes next week), cos he's the go-to frame for all nightmare missions.

Also, get the halloween stuff if u have loads of plat.

As for clans, I recommend that u enter one that does daily raids, cos the prices for arcane energize is going nuts. (Expect it to rise higher when they remove the need for arcane distillers)

3 minutes ago, Black-chameleon said:

Well, nikana prime overshadowed dragon nikana.

The other 3 frames have primed versions as well (still waiting for ember prime to be unvaulted in December...or so I hear)

Keep a lookout for mara detron cos there's a new mod exclusively for detron and mara detron that will be coming up when The Index is officially live. (Thermagnetic shells)

Vacuum mod is now applicable to all sentinels.

if u got bored with dogs, there are cats now...chk kavats

Archwing still sucks.

Stuff I recommend u to do:

Finish second dream. Get ur focus system up.

Clear the pluto-sedna junction in preparation for TWW.

Try to get Inaros (mission bp available when baro comes next week), cos he's the go-to frame for all nightmare missions.

Also, get the halloween stuff if u have loads of plat.

As for clans, I recommend that u enter one that does daily raids, cos the prices for arcane energize is going nuts. (Expect it to rise higher when they remove the need for arcane distillers)

See, I left before Archwing was even a thing. So while I'm sure this information makes a lot of sense in context, I lack that context. I'm not sure what you mean by baro coming next week or what that implies. I don't know what TWW is. And the only think I remember arcane referring to is when cosmetic heads granted stat bonuses, and then they made those bonuses separate and people like me get the legacy stat helms with the arcane descriptor...unless that's just not a thing anymore. I don't know what my focus system is. Is it related to the focus mod?

2 minutes ago, Thereddic said:

See, I left before Archwing was even a thing. So while I'm sure this information makes a lot of sense in context, I lack that context. I'm not sure what you mean by baro coming next week or what that implies. I don't know what TWW is. And the only think I remember arcane referring to is when cosmetic heads granted stat bonuses, and then they made those bonuses separate and people like me get the legacy stat helms with the arcane descriptor...unless that's just not a thing anymore. I don't know what my focus system is. Is it related to the focus mod?

I like how he knows you haven't played The Second Dream (a cinematic quest, basically what started the "lore era" of Warframe) and still mentions the focus system.

It's a big spoiler, don't search for it unless you finished the quest.

31 minutes ago, Thereddic said:

[Blanked out]

Frames: Frost Prime [Note: Decent defensive frame, also decent in Conclave if you're into that], Ember [Note: Moving crowd controller], Nekros [Note: No longer the farmer, but he can now control crowds effectively with a perpetual army of dead people, if you keep your energy high enough to heal them], Trinity [Note: Still a frame focused on providing energy and bonus defenses]

Primary: Paris Prime [Note: Prioritize critical chance and damage output for highest effectiveness], Sybaris [Note: You missed out on the Dex Sybaris; it's much better], Penta [Note: One of the two 'no aim' 'Meta' weapons for those who can't aim if modded properly], Snipetron Vandal [Note: In Conclave, is decent, is a good sniper], Latron Wraith, Strun Wraith

Secondary: Dex Furis [Note: Ammo economy on this sidearm is poor, Ammo Mutation will help a lot on it], Twin Vipers Wraith, Detron, Marelok

Melee: Sheev, Dex Dakra, Dragon Nikana

Any of these still good? Any interesting new weapons that are worth using? Do you all feel like punching the old guy for asking the question that probably comes up every three seconds? I appreciate any guidance I can get.

What have you missed, other than The Second Dream*:

-Dex Sybaris.

-A number of events that would've given you a supply of Catalyst/Reactor blueprints, and maybe a few weapons.

-A hefty amount of new mods and content.

-Changes to EVERYTHING, some of them are not approved by people, but "to each their own".

*To begin, complete 'The New Strange', then proceed to Uranus with a scanner. Listen for a particular sound and visual cue, like that of Stalker's appearence, then listen for a strange humming tone. Once you see something blue that's scanning everything around it, scan it.

Complete the quest it gives you. Complete the Uranus-Neptune Junction.

But first, I urge you to complete the Earth-Mars Junction. And Draco is no longer what it was.

If you require my assistance with anything, I'm on Steam as Koldraxon.

First, get through the Second Dream quest - it was a real game-changer, and it is essential to experience that story - it got me hooked after a long absence. If that isn't in your quest list, go through the main storyline quests til it does. TWW / The War Within is the next installment, and we're all REALLY excited for it.

Arcanes come from Raids, and those require lots of people and experience and coordination - leave that til later. For now, build some of the new weapons, farm stuff to build the new weapons and warframes (there are some amazing frames that have appeared more recently) and enjoy the variety in gameplay for each type of frame.

The rest will come in time - buying top-end gear is not important immediately, you can have a heap of fun with what you have.

1 minute ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

Complete the quest it gives you. Complete the Uranus-Neptune Junction.

But first, I urge you to complete the Earth-Mars Junction. And Draco is no longer what it was.

Psst. He wouldn't know what Junctions are. You should maybe explain that before telling him to do them.

@Thereddic

Yeah I know I know, we're supposed to not spoil the lore of the game for those that haven't tried it yet. 

But I'm at the stage where I'd rather they spoil it for me.

The focus system is nothing but a major grindfest tbh and I'd rather hurry that up and get the perks instead of waiting to enjoy the lore. Besides, EVERYTHING here is a spoiler for the new guy. I'd rather u guys jump in and fill in the blanks so he can actually enjoy playing thru the stuff he missed.

Still salty over the fact that focus is ironically, distracting as hell to farm for. Seriously, I'd rather they decrease the percentage of exp going into it BUT let exp go into it gradually without having to pick up the medallions. I mean, most missions have a main objective but the medallion thingys kinda just sidetracks u from it.

BTW if the terms I used are unfamiliar, use warframe.wikia

Hope u guys have fun :)

29 minutes ago, Black-chameleon said:

@Thereddic

Yeah I know I know, we're supposed to not spoil the lore of the game for those that haven't tried it yet. 

But I'm at the stage where I'd rather they spoil it for me.

The focus system is nothing but a major grindfest tbh and I'd rather hurry that up and get the perks instead of waiting to enjoy the lore. Besides, EVERYTHING here is a spoiler for the new guy. I'd rather u guys jump in and fill in the blanks so he can actually enjoy playing thru the stuff he missed.

Still salty over the fact that focus is ironically, distracting as hell to farm for. Seriously, I'd rather they decrease the percentage of exp going into it BUT let exp go into it gradually without having to pick up the medallions. I mean, most missions have a main objective but the medallion thingys kinda just sidetracks u from it.

BTW if the terms I used are unfamiliar, use warframe.wikia

Hope u guys have fun :)

Spoiling him the quest isn't going to help him get back into the game at all, especially considering how unnecessary the focus system is.

@Thereddic As I already said before, don't listen to this guy and don't search for this stuff until you completed The Second Dream. The Second Dream is so far the most important quest there ever has been in Warframe, don't let the rush of getting back into the game ruin it for you.

Edit: I'm not exaggerating, the quest completely blew my mind and it was the best feeling I ever felt in my over 1600h of Warframe. For the first time Warframe has an actual intriguing main storyline, follow it piece by piece (spoilerfree) and you'll end up wanting more, like the rest of us.

Edited by PapaFragolino

3 hours ago, PapaFragolino said:

Spoiling him the quest isn't going to help him get back into the game at all, especially considering how unnecessary the focus system is.

@Thereddic As I already said before, don't listen to this guy and don't search for this stuff until you completed The Second Dream. The Second Dream is so far the most important quest there ever has been in Warframe, don't let the rush of getting back into the game ruin it for you.

Edit: I'm not exaggerating, the quest completely blew my mind and it was the best feeling I ever felt in my over 1600h of Warframe. For the first time Warframe has an actual intriguing main storyline, follow it piece by piece (spoilerfree) and you'll end up wanting more, like the rest of us.

To put this into a bigger perspective, The second dream has made soooo many people come back and fall in love with it. Some of it was a bit controversial, but it was still a big standing ovation for us tenno. But, I strongly urge you to also focus your attention on the story and get an understanding of whats going on.

A good thing in the pipeworks is being able to replay old missions too. So if you missed something, and it is puzzling you, you will eventually be able to replay those missions. I won't lie the narrative was hard to follow for me. I had to watch other people play, or record, to piece it all together. But dang did DE do a good job. Lots of questions will be answered, but many more questions will erupt.

17 minutes ago, megastorm said:

Its kinda implied because you can't do Second Dream without doing Natah.

Sure, for people that were around when the quest was announced.

But we're actively discuraging the use of the wiki to avoid spoilers and last time I checked, nothing in game tells you that the quest exists.

Unless it's been drastically changed since I did it.  I didnt even know what planet to start looking, and when I got to Uranus, it took about 3 encounters before I checked the wiki to find out I had to scan the things and not attack them.

Edited by Noamuth

7 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Sure, for people that we're around when the quest was announced.

But we're actively discuraging the use of the wiki to avoid spoilers and last time I checked, nothing in game tells you that the quest exists.

Maybe I didn't say this properly because I have no idea what you are on about. I do not think you can skip Natah quest and jump into Second dream. I believe you are forced to play Natah before you can play Second dream. You don't need a wiki, nor here, to learn that. The game will tell you as you are progressing, and happen to skip natah to play second dream. 

1 minute ago, megastorm said:

Maybe I didn't say this properly because I have no idea what you are on about. I do not think you can skip Natah quest and jump into Second dream. I believe you are forced to play Natah before you can play Second dream. You don't need a wiki, nor here, to learn that. The game will tell you as you are progressing, and happen to skip natah to play second dream. 

Maybe you should reread my post where I said "...OP has to do Natah to even do the Second Dream..." and it'll make more sense.

Never said they could skip it, just that maybe we should tell them about the quest they have to do first.

3 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Maybe you should reread my post where I said "...OP has to do Natah to even do the Second Dream..." and it'll make more sense.

Never said they could skip it, just that maybe we should tell them about the quest they have to do first.

30 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Anyone mention OP has to do the Natah quest to even start the Second Dream one?

28 minutes ago, megastorm said:

Its kinda implied because you can't do Second Dream without doing Natah.

Implied means you have to no matter what. So in order to climb that latter you have to do this first. And before you said that my remark, I have already made it known it was implied....as in you have to. He didn't need us telling him he had to when the game will tell him.

Edited by megastorm

Just now, megastorm said:

Implied means you have to no matter what. So in order to climb that latter you have to do this first. And before you said that my remark, I have already made it known it was implied....as in you have to.

And I already said that they HAVE to do the quest in the first place.

What are you on about?  You're on me for saying the exact thing you are; Natah first, Second Dream second.

1 minute ago, Noamuth said:

And I already said that they HAVE to do the quest in the first place.

What are you on about?  You're on me for saying the exact thing you are; Natah first, Second Dream second.

What is the point in telling him he had to do that when the game will already direct him in that path? There is zero reason to let him know as its implied.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned but the movement system has been changed too. It is referred as Parkour 2.0 and is more maneuverable than the old one but may seem to be a bit slower if you were a melee copter spammer.

Ability mods have been removed and added to the Warframes as a default. Also, you only have 8 mod slots + 1 exilus mod slot + 1 aura mod slot.

See, you say I have to do whatever Natah is...I've already done a couple missions on the Second Dream line and I've never seen anything about Natah. Was that the first quest where you wake up and smack Vor around?

Also I haven't looked at the whole thing yet but I'm pretty sure I had the entire starmap unlocked before I left and I don't seem to be missing anything. Am I going to have to reopen the map in some places?

If you check your codex you'll see which quests you have completed. If you don't see one called Natah then you need to work through to that point. I believe you do Stolen Dreams, Natah, Second Dream.

The star map was only recently updated - even if you had unlocked all the missions on every planet, you now need to work through connecting the planets via junctions. It's not too bad - just a few little prerequisites for each one. The War Within quest prerequisite is that you need to work round the map and unlock the Pluto->Sedna junction, but since you haven't done Second Dream yet, that's also a lower priority for you. Aside from the very-recently-announced Pluto-Sedna junction prerequisite for TWW, the junctions don't really have much in-game benefit.