Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did I cross the line?

Ibro156

Can someone explain what I did wrong? Was I being ignorant? Basically, I just got off a plane in the Turkey from the holiday in Dubai. Waiting for next plane back to the UK. So I met this guy, we talked for short bit. It went down like this:

Guy: Hey, man! Where you from?

Me: Horn of Africa, Somalia. Why you asking?

Guy: Am African myself. Am going back to my motherland!

Me: Uh, cool. Where you from?

Guy: Detroit, USA.

Me: No. I mean, which part of Africa are you from?

Guy: Don't know.

Me: So how do you know that are you're an African?

Guy: Bruv, am an African-American. I know am from Africa and am going back home.

Me: Africa isn't like that. There are 54 different countries in Africa, with their own culture, heritage and government to them. Like how Europe is.

Guy: Why are you hassling me for?

Me: Am not. Am just saying; because you call yourself African-American, but yet you have no clue which part Africa you're from, nor your heritage. So how do you know that you going to the right country? You might be from South, West, East or North part Africa.

Guy: Nah. My people were brought to America from Africa.

Me: Am not arguing with you about that. I don't know much about American politics, but don't they call you "African-American" because politicians don't want to say "Black Americans?"

Then, he just walks away pissed, and I feel like a @ss for busting his balls (and probably placing doubt on his trip to Africa). This been bothering for a while - whether if I crossed the line or not.

Edited by Ibro156