Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Soma Prime OP? Shotgun VS Rifles.

ZiLei

Is Soma Prime OP?

I would like to know all of your opinions.

Before the Riven mod got nerfed for Soma today. I did some damage test yesterday.

My Soma P stats (before Riven change):

Iar8FTf.jpg

It roughly takes around 40~60 bullet to kill a level 100 Eximus Elite Lancer. So that means in a mission I have to unload all 1000 bullet killing only roughly 16~20 of these enemies. Which is a possible situation at the Last level of Sortie daily with Eximus Strong hold. Also I have to calculate The amount time unloading the bullets and reloading. So in conclusion Soma Prime DPS is not that great even with Riven Mod "Buff". While Shotgun like Hek and Tigiris can still 1 shot and have very nice ammo efficiency. So my question for you all! Is THIS suppose to be the difference between rifle and shotgun? is Soma Prime as OP as [DE] Steve presume it to be? Should Soma Riven mod stay as Faint or buff to Neutral? Maybe I am modding it wrong? Maybe rifle not meant to be late game? I would love to hear all your opinion and thoughts! Thank you for reading!

Edited by ZiLei

No, it's not. Soma has always been a fantastic weapon for mid-tier, but never high level. The riven mods changed that, allowing the Soma to reach a level that was very similar to the Tigris prime. I am 100% against the recent nerf, as having it like it was allowed us to finally use a weapon that came close to shotgun damage in a rifle. They wanted us to use weapons we didn't use before...well they succeeded with the Soma, and now it will go back to being a mid tier weapon, and it will alienate anyone who spent 1k+ getting their Soma to finally deal high level damage. This was a terrible, terrible decision across the board, and if anyone thinks I'm just being salty, I don't even own a crit chance/crit damage riven mod. 

1 hour ago, Misgenesis said:

Hek and Tigris being better dont make Soma any worse. Its still a top tier weapon so yes, Rivens for Soma should stay as faint or neutral.

It was never top tier on its own, it was mostly used by banshee players before tigris prime/chroma changed it.  

Edited by IamRageypoo

The problem with the game is people look at weapons differently depending on what level enemy they are fighting. I suspect 99% of the player base fight up to sortie level and thats about it and even then its only a small percentage of game time compared to the star chart levels. Also you need to take into consideration are people running with 4cp/buffs and correct elements with said weapon. For example I was in a public game some time ago and the guy was saying how OP his pistol was against a bombard as he died with one shot.  The problem is he was only level 30 odd ;-) 

13 minutes ago, --Nef-Anyo-- said:

The problem with the game is people look at weapons differently depending on what level enemy they are fighting. I suspect 99% of the player base fight up to sortie level and thats about it and even then its only a small percentage of game time compared to the star chart levels. Also you need to take into consideration are people running with 4cp/buffs and correct elements with said weapon. For example I was in a public game some time ago and the guy was saying how OP his pistol was against a bombard as he died with one shot.  The problem is he was only level 30 odd ;-) 

So you are saying Rifles and shot guns are at good place? Actually my Secondary weapon like Lex Prime does a lot better than Some Prime...Is there a Good Rifle for high end missions?

In the world of rifles, most "high level" players use the boltor prime or the soma, but need to use other frames to boost the damage (such as banshee sonar) or use x4 corrosive projections etc. With the Tigris Prime finally capable of doing tons of damage procs that can eat away at armor and cause massive bleed damage, it is absolutely fantastic on extremely high armored enemies. The only downside is that it packs 2 shots, u need to be rather accurate with it, and it's not good vs crowds even with punch through compared to a rifle that can push out more bullets with their own punch through builds, it's just that rifles can't do the damage and never have compared to the shotgun. 

Having the riven mods finally put rifles on par with shotguns was incredible, and the recent nerf ruined it imo. 

1 hour ago, ZiLei said:

So you are saying Rifles and shot guns are at good place? Actually my Secondary weapon like Lex Prime does a lot better than Some Prime...Is there a Good Rifle for high end missions?

I cant say anything to that because as I have stated set ups/elements play a big role in assessing how good a weapon is. If you're going to fight armored targets then a well forma boltor prime wiil serve you just fine in the star chart but the same is also true with other weapons, just some are more effective based on the faction you are playing. You'd never take a boltor for infested for example. . 

I wanna point out that heavy caliber is probably doing more harm than good when i consider just how accurate soma is, basically all you bullets would be headshots at a pretty good range and give you more damage that that heavy cal.

-Was Soma strong enough that it's mod should have been nerfed?  Not really

-Was the weapons chosen to have their mods nerfed have more to do with popularity or with them being strong?  Popularity, lots of weapons that i would never bring to endless missions got nerfed

The intention was to get people to use the less popular weapons, honestly if i didn't like a weapon before I wouldn't go through the trouble of getting a riven mod for it because i would continue to never use it as if it wasn't a fun weapon before a single mod won't make it fun now. 

Actually Soma Prime is godlike weapon at low to mid-range levels for now I think.

at level 120+ it is just a bullet waster, have to reload just after kill 2 or 3 enemies and soon all of your remaining ammo will gone,

no matter how you equipped well with mutation mod and ammo case.

I have no complaint if DE is willing rebalance its ammo efficiency, but it seems like they are never gonna do. *sigh*

Edited by Chantepleur

2 minutes ago, ZiLei said:

Can you tell me what rifle you use for late game? That is crit based and is a rifle?

depends on frame and enemy level/armor

pretty much all fully modded weapon can delete anything on the starchart aside from some high level sortie eximuses.

armor stripping or finisher damage is more valuable than "which rifle"

Edited by hukurokuju5

3 hours ago, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

Depends but here is my Shotgun build and it's currently not maxed out. Because i don't feel the need to spend 15k Endo to make it stronger currently. Eventually will but it is strong enough to handle anything i do in Warframe.

PS_Messages_20161119_070319.jpg

Yeah my tigiris can pretty much delete anything in the game period. The whole point of this post is for me to see where does rifle stand in this game. Is rifle meant for only low and mid tier enemies? Are shot gun, bow, blast, and melee type weapon the only ones viable for high end endless mission or sorties? Just asking for other play's feed back. So far all I got is armor are OP, also crit Rifles and rifles in genenral do not excel in sorties. Status > Crit. Maybe DE should make head part of enemy have no armor? So rifle can kill more enemies?

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, ZiLei said:

Is Soma Prime OP?

I would like to know all of your opinions.

Before the Riven mod got nerfed for Soma today. I did some damage test yesterday.

My Soma P stats (before Riven change):

Iar8FTf.jpg

It roughly takes around 40~60 bullet to kill a level 100 Eximus Elite Lancer. So that means in a mission I have to unload all 1000 bullet killing only roughly 16~20 of these enemies. Which is a possible situation at the Last level of Sortie daily with Eximus Strong hold. Also I have to calculate The amount time unloading the bullets and reloading. So in conclusion Soma Prime DPS is not that great even with Riven Mod "Buff". While Shotgun like Hek and Tigiris can still 1 shot and have very nice ammo efficiency. So my question for you all! Is THIS suppose to be the difference between rifle and shotgun? is Soma Prime as OP as [DE] Steve presume it to be? Should Soma Riven mod stay as Faint or buff to Neutral? Maybe I am modding it wrong? Maybe rifle not meant to be late game? I would love to hear all your opinion and thoughts! Thank you for reading!

Personally I don't understand why people consider Soma Prime and Boltor Prime OP, since automatic weapons have considerably terrible ammo economy at higher levels. Maybe they look good in the Simulacrum, but anything can look good in the Simulacrum. Stripping a level 140 heavy gunner of its armor and killing it in around 10 seconds may seem OP, but if it takes 150 bullets...that's not OP, that's just bullet volume.

Edited by Daggerpaw1

2 minutes ago, bubbabenali said:

If it's amor stripping and crits you want, I recommend the Prisma Grakata.

But honestly you should go with 4xCP anyways.

Actually Damage test that i done above was with headshots... so + more bullet count if you talking about missing shots + body shots.

Also when you run with random sometime... you can't really have that nice 4xCP  24/7

Also i am going to up your post to ruin your 1,337 :angry:

Edited by ZiLei