Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven Mods & MR Requirements

Valthryn

That feeling when you get a great riven mod and need to rank from MR 13-15 just to use it. Mastery rank in Warframe is obtained predominantly by ranking trash and throwing it away. There's no "progression" assigned to gaining Mastery Rank apart from the fact that certain weapons require high MR ranks. At MR Ranks 1-10 it kind of makes sense, since trying out and leveling new weapons can get you that far easily. But I've found myself capping at MR 13 for months simply because I'm not interested in crafting trash weapons and farming Berehynia all day just to throw them away because they're not worth a catalyst and several forma, as well as the plat required for the inventory slots. So, why should I need to have MR rank 15 just to use one mod for the Supra? The amount of work required to hit MR 15 is not worth the payoff of being able to use one mod, and that's not even as high as the MR requirement goes. The highest damaging weapons in the game right now, Tigris Prime and Galatine Prime, only require MR 13.

In summary, I believe MR restrictions should be removed or limited to MR ranks 1-13 (since Tigris Prime and Galatine Prime are the top tier damage weapons in the game, and require MR 13) because the amount of work and time (or platinum) required to hit MR ranks in excess of 13 is, in my opinion, not worth the payoff of being able to use one mod for a non-meta weapon that randomly decides it needs an MR 15 Tenno to use it.

Edited by Daggerpaw1

There are other benefits to increasing your Mastery rank aside from weapons and Riven mods, and the benefits are likely to become more numerous as the game becomes more complex. In addition to your Riven mod, you'd gain a load-out slot, cap increases to all syndicate and neutral syndicate daily limits, the ability to hold more void trace at one time, more mod capacity for unranked gear, and you'd be safeguarded against having to level to 15 for any new "meta" weapon which comes out. 

It's extremely unlikely Mastery Rank is going anywhere, as it's been a core part of the game since the start. 

You're not forced to do Berehynia all day. You can bring those weapons in fissures and other everyday missions that do not require a DPS monster, and level them there, ie learn to actually use them.

And as pointed above, MR is being tied more and more to other mechanics, so even if they detach that from Riven mods, you'll have to adapt when something else needs a higher MR than the one you have. 

On 11/20/2016 at 2:16 AM, Wolfglaive said:

There are other benefits to increasing your Mastery rank aside from weapons and Riven mods, and the benefits are likely to become more numerous as the game becomes more complex. In addition to your Riven mod, you'd gain a load-out slot, cap increases to all syndicate and neutral syndicate daily limits, the ability to hold more void trace at one time, more mod capacity for unranked gear, and you'd be safeguarded against having to level to 15 for any new "meta" weapon which comes out. 

It's extremely unlikely Mastery Rank is going anywhere, as it's been a core part of the game since the start. 

Additional Load-out slot? Useless when u have 3 to 4 (inclusive of current use)

Cap increase... increase by 1,000 per MR... USEFUL! NOT!

Why hold more void trace is even a benefit? All you need is 100 to 200 max capacity, and craft the max (4th one) after 3 to 5 Relic runs. Crafting them/improving them doesn't even requires crafting time (ie, foundry).

Again, 1 MR = 1 Mod for unranked. Useful? only if you'r solo'ing with a forma'ed gear. Other than that, public, u leech while using your not-0-rank gear. But this time, you roughly know where to go for fast xp leech run...

Add-on: What happen when you'r MR 31 then? 31 Mod for unranked gear for un-potato'ed gear?

27 minutes ago, Wolfglaive said:

Mastery Rank 30 will be the highest attainable, "Grandmaster" rank. 

Is that an iron rule listed by DE? I mean... by playing the game, u agree to ToS.

And all content are subjected to changed regardless of Beta or not, under ToS. (from what i know of the usual stuff from other Game.)

9 hours ago, low1991 said:

Is that an iron rule listed by DE? I mean... by playing the game, u agree to ToS.

And all content are subjected to changed regardless of Beta or not, under ToS. (from what i know of the usual stuff from other Game.)

Lol. When they make any sound as to adding a 31st Rank, then you can use that argument. As of right now, asking what an imagined MR31 would do is a waste of time, since they have never expressed any sentiment to change the number of ranks in their system. You're basically arguing for the sake of argument, and I have better things to do than deal in arguments regarding potentialities which have no roots in fact.

The Mastery Rank related to Rivens could be done like this:

* All Riven mods require a minimum of MR8 (which is the currently lowest MR they can require)
* As your personal MR goes up, so does the stats of the Riven mods! (Capped at whatever limit seems reasonable, currently 16?).

That way people have a bit earlier access to them, but won't get the full benefits out of them until they reach the higher areas of MR.
It also reduces the RNG-annoyance of lower MR-Rivens being deemed rather meh.

well, if your idea of gaining Mastery Rank equates to passively leeching XP in a popular (but far, far, far from the only way?) XP leeching Mission....

then you definitely aren't a high enough Mastery Rank to use Riven Mods correctly, even if you're Mastery 30.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2016 at 7:24 AM, low1991 said:

Additional Load-out slot? Useless when u have 3 to 4 (inclusive of current use)

Cap increase... increase by 1,000 per MR... USEFUL! NOT!

Why hold more void trace is even a benefit? All you need is 100 to 200 max capacity, and craft the max (4th one) after 3 to 5 Relic runs. Crafting them/improving them doesn't even requires crafting time (ie, foundry).

Again, 1 MR = 1 Mod for unranked. Useful? only if you'r solo'ing with a forma'ed gear. Other than that, public, u leech while using your not-0-rank gear. But this time, you roughly know where to go for fast xp leech run...

Add-on: What happen when you'r MR 31 then? 31 Mod for unranked gear for un-potato'ed gear?

At MR 23 I can put 7 out of 8 mods on a weapon while I forma it, so I can level it up directly. And "leeching"? Weren't you so against going all day to Berehynia? This aspect of Mastery Rank is very powerful for someone that levels gear non-stop like me, I can level my gear in any way that I want.

Btw, MR31 is not something you need to think about now and it's not up to you to find out what we need to do after that. We will still have years of content before that will become possible. Worrying about this now is like putting the horse a mile ahead of the carriage.

Some people say MR on Rivens is arbitrary, doesn't affect it in anyway and is random. Others reckon it influences the strength of the Riven (higher MR = more damages). MR of the Riven is not tied to the weapon's strength but the Riven's, or to nothing. E.g. I have an MR16 Hind Riven. It is a beast Riven.

MR in the rest of the game isn't important, but does open up a bit more flexibility to the player. More loadout slots is very important for making styled builds. I have used up 8 slots, including some specific to roles I play and who I play with.

Thinking of every weapon weaker than your Tonkor as MR fodder is a really easy way to kill the enjoyment of the game. Granted having a higher MR makes it easier to enjoy these less powerful weapons because I  can stick 2-4 mods on it depending on how many polarities it comes with. There are lots of weapons with unique mechanics that when utilised well make it perform really well. And others that are just outright weak (mk-1 Braton), but sometimes there's a reason for that.

And leeching xp is another easy way to kill the fun of the game. Try the weapons out, you won't know if they are just MR fodder until you try it.
Some weapons with weak stats actually are really good/fun/comfortable to use/play with. E.g. the Strun series. Not super strong but the individual reload of bullets actually means you can get that 1 extra shot off if you really need it, and they're reasonably accurate.

Yes I am one of those people that thinks snipers are great fun, and there are ways to make them work. But its not easy, but it is rewarding.

On 20/11/2016 at 5:03 AM, Daggerpaw1 said:

In summary, I believe MR restrictions should be removed or limited to MR ranks 1-13 (since Tigris Prime and Galatine Prime are the top tier damage weapons in the game, and require MR 13) because the amount of work and time (or platinum) required to hit MR ranks in excess of 13 is, in my opinion, not worth the payoff of being able to use one mod for a non-meta weapon that randomly decides it needs an MR 15 Tenno to use it.

Non-meta weapons are easily a lot more fun than meta weapons. Max firerate Supra is a blast. I would love a multishot Riven for mine, it would be hectic. XD
Meta weapons to me are really boring and not fun to use. They are easy to use and do lots of damage, that is why they are meta.

Keep in mind most of this is my opinion. Also, get some friends and start comparing weapons (the non-meta ones) as you level them and racing to the next MR (while avoiding xp farming or leeching). You may find you enjoy it a bit more.

Warframe is trying to be an inexhaustible game where there's always something for you to want/need. Now that it's given you a reason to farm, you've come back.

Not that i'm defending the illogical mr requirement of rivens. That's plain stupid. I've seen a sybaris mod that's mr 18 to use.

Maybe if mr depended on the weapon (say a tigris/soma riven requires mr 13+ and a braton/supra riven requires mr 9)

Anyhow, dont stress urself out tenno.