Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Leacher Problem

VPX88

Question

An old ingame problem have always been the "Leacher" players, those players that joins a mission and act like a parasyte

letting the others do the work and getting only the rewards.

I Just came out from a Hieracon Mission where a rude leacher joined the team,

Me and my friends wanted to do 20 excavators or more, but it was open to siscussion, the problem was this guy that just wanted

to go for the 1 excavator-credit reward farm, and after the first one he went directly to the exit and remain there for a while.

When we called him out on his behaviour he started to be rude in the chat and even tried making us loose few excavators.

-removed screenshots-

I don't know if it would be right to do a proper ticket report on this Dude, I just wanted to share this issue and suggest

a solution already proposed in the past for this problem is the Team vote expulsion.

Edited by Saske92
Content Moderated

20 answers to this question

first of all forum shaming ain't looked upon very favorably here, second it's writtem leech and Parasite. "the parasyte" is what he mocked you for because it sounds very silly. "you are doing the parasyte" sounds like he's fornicating with a tape worm rather then saying "please don't be a leech and help with the party effort." so of course your going to get a remark about it. if you accuse a person of something rude or bad over and over they tend to lash out, so it's more a case of the tune making the music, IE he perceived you as rude, so he was rude back.  

Personally, just dragging him along for 20 excavations should be punishment enough, especially from his point of view.

Team votes can go to bad places. It's a cure potentially worse than the disease.

The guy have been a wet blanket, but three tenno are perfectly capable of pushing the excavations to high levels of return. The best solution is just to ignore him and put him on a personal NFE list.

The game is set up so that you can't extract until half the team wants to for a reason: so that a minority can't force their will upon a majority.

The only person who should be in a private game is the one who can get the same credit rewards by doing the mission solo.  If they can't solo the mission, even with the lower spawn count with fewer players, then them needing to be in a group to get to the point of extraction is leeching.

1 hour ago, (XB1)ThermalStone said:

That guy wasn't a leech.  He wanted to make credits and you guys were slowing him down.  Next time make a private gane when you have that many players 

No, he wasn't a leech. Instead, he was being an jackhat.

He went into a public endless mode game. When one does that, one should realize the others in the game, might, you know, want to hang around a bit and not bail after one round. Just sayin'.

Sooooooooo...when one extractor was done, he started to whine about his income and the complaints fell on deaf ears, so he lost his S#&$. Assigning blame here isn't a hugely useful undertaking when you had some differing expectations going in. Nevertheless, the whiner is the guy trying to force an issue contrary to how this particular game mode usually functions. In that sense, he was out of his lane and should have reeled his neck in.

He didn't and we get this thread. The fundamental lesson is: don't be That Guy.

When ever I would be looking to go for these sort of runs I would always hit up recruitment tab, set party to invite only so if someone dc's you dont get some random who is trying to do the ultimate credit farm and piss off everyone else at the same time.   If I ever join a random excavation I always ask what the plan is as soon as I get in just so that way I know, they doing a quick 1 for the credits, ok, will tag along and hopefully better luck next join.

10 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

No, he wasn't a leech. Instead, he was being an jackhat.

He went into a public endless mode game. When one does that, one should realize the others in the game, might, you know, want to hang around a bit and not bail after one round. Just sayin'.

Sooooooooo...when one extractor was done, he started to whine about his income and the complaints fell on deaf ears, so he lost his S#&$. Assigning blame here isn't a hugely useful undertaking when you had some differing expectations going in. Nevertheless, the whiner is the guy trying to force an issue contrary to how this particular game mode usually functions. In that sense, he was out of his lane and should have reeled his neck in.

He didn't and we get this thread. The fundamental lesson is: don't be That Guy.

Sure he might have been an arse, but there's no need to come here and name and shame and whine about it.

My cat loves to poop in the bathtub.  If I put a bucket in the tub so she doesn't have space, she won't poop there.  When the cat poops in the tub, it's pointless to get mad at her.  I blame myself instead for not putting the bucket in.  

If you don't want people pooping in your lobby, make it private.  If you go into public for something like Hieracon, you have only yourself to blame when you step in poop.

Think you missed the point, but whatever.

Guy went into a public game expecting something that wasn't there. He was disappointed and acted badly.

He decided to be That Guy and upset some people despite the fact they were doing what could be expected to be found in the sort of game mode involved. It's not a huge deal, but one shouldn't make excuses for what was legitimately bad behavior.

I want to apologize for the Name-shame, I didn't know it C***ed as a shame posting the chat content without unediting the names, but aside that, if you go on an Endless mission with your team of friends and open up for a fourth player, he can't Impose his game preference on another team in which he is a guest.

I do too the "1 excavator-credit reward farm" but or alone or with a private team avoiding to bother other players.

If it wasn't clear in my first post, he used the"1 excavator-credit reward farm" as an excuse and when questioned why he went to the exit, after 2 or 3 excavators and chatting, it became clear he didn't care and he would have gotten the rewards anyway, then he, out of boredom after being rude in the chat, after a while of doing nothing, started sabotating our gamplay activating far away excavators and letting them destroy.

We didn't care much about that, we where doing the mission for relics, endo and exp farming, we reached the 21 without so much effort, we went prepared for doing that; the problem was the bad behavior of this player and his "Parasitic" gameplay, that it's not an Isolate event, It happens frequently and a good solution would be the team vote expulsion.

A team vote expulsion can just force a player to go in a separate istance where he is the host, without making him loos everything get so far, it happens already with host problems or disconnections, why not making it a tool to remoove problematic players?

1 hour ago, VPX88 said:

I want to apologize for the Name-shame, I didn't know it C***ed as a shame posting the chat content without unediting the names, but aside that, if you go on an Endless mission with your team of friends and open up for a fourth player, he can't Impose his game preference on another team in which he is a guest.

I do too the "1 excavator-credit reward farm" but or alone or with a private team avoiding to bother other players.

If it wasn't clear in my first post, he used the"1 excavator-credit reward farm" as an excuse and when questioned why he went to the exit, after 2 or 3 excavators and chatting, it became clear he didn't care and he would have gotten the rewards anyway, then he, out of boredom after being rude in the chat, after a while of doing nothing, started sabotating our gamplay activating far away excavators and letting them destroy.

We didn't care much about that, we where doing the mission for relics, endo and exp farming, we reached the 21 without so much effort, we went prepared for doing that; the problem was the bad behavior of this player and his "Parasitic" gameplay, that it's not an Isolate event, It happens frequently and a good solution would be the team vote expulsion.

A team vote expulsion can just force a player to go in a separate istance where he is the host, without making him loos everything get so far, it happens already with host problems or disconnections, why not making it a tool to remoove problematic players?

Bad behavior maybe (i dont even see the picture to know that ) but go to extract if he want to do runs for credits and you dont it's not "parasitic"  behavior ... why he should remain helping you in your mision of doing more extractors when you dont help him with his misions of farming credits ? . The 2 sides have different objetives and both objetives are valid .... the problem is that you are crying for that .... if you want people with your same objetive , dont be lazy and form a group instead of going public .

When in public playing with randoms, if i see that my team is not defending, droping batteries in or doing anything useful, i am going to extraction right a way and leach.
Why? Because i dont want to be That Guy Carrier who will do everyones job, in the name of "teamwork" that is just a myth in this game. Their rage, insutls and rude attitude wont make me even move 1 step from extraction, it can only lead them to reports for offensive language and mute hopefully. Also, being dead whole mission or siting near extraction count as the same thing.  Expecting somebody to carry you just because you think it would be great is bad also.
Same thing is present in "endless" fissure missions, when you are forced to wait until other 3 guys get bored from it, and get to extraction, while you cant/or wont play because you dont have relics or whatever. They rly need to add that option to leave mission when you want, without loosing things you farmed. That would solve a lot of problems in community.

Here is one story...during Long Shadows event, i joined in random squad, with MRs 20+ thinking it will be great long run. I was so damn wrong...In first 3 mins one guy said he NEEDS TO EAT right now (?!?!), and he was afk 15 mins!!! Then i said i need to masturbate right now, so i went on extraction to camp and asking other 2 guys to come so we dont carry that piece of S#&$, but they refused it. I said, ok but i wont carry that C*** around because he is hungry...i mean, thats some very lame excuse to be afk and be carried, right? What would you do, OP? Keep playing or leave if you were in my situation? I know i would feel like a fool if i continued to play. So...no, just no!

My right is to be there on extraction because i dont want to play. Your right is to refuse to extract and continue playing.
You better get used on this OP, because this is gonna happend many many times. 

oor.. silly suggestion.. you could just use the recruitment chat to form a party of people with the same intention as you instead of going randoms :o it tends to have that weird side effect of ending up with people that want to do the same thing as you do /o/ spending 3-5 minutes to assemble a team instead of ending up having to redo a mission over and over because there's a conflict in interest between party members is a rather sensible thing to do X_X 

I don't understand if all the people that have commented that "I should not expect on a random team to get all the teammates with the same goal" are just trolls, or have actually not understood the part in which I've specified that I was in a Team with other 2 friends, with the same goal and that we opened up for a fourth random player, specifying from the beginning our goal of 20 excavators, his presence would have been irrelevant to us if not for the sabotage and the harsh mocking in the chat.

The topic is not about a whiny post, It's about a suggestion for a too common issue; The issue, is that there are people that join missions just to leach on the effort of the others
 or have fun sabotating it.

A Team expulsion vote, as explained before, it's not something so unreasonable to me.

Since the forum is monitored, I want to invite people to share similar events and to suggest solutions maybe different from mine or add some modifications.

19 minutes ago, VPX88 said:

I don't understand if all the people that have commented that "I should not expect on a random team to get all the teammates with the same goal" are just trolls, or have actually not understood the part in which I've specified that I was in a Team with other 2 friends, with the same goal and that we opened up for a fourth random player, specifying from the beginning our goal of 20 excavators, his presence would have been irrelevant to us if not for the sabotage and the harsh mocking in the chat.

The topic is not about a whiny post, It's about a suggestion for a too common issue; The issue, is that there are people that join missions just to leach on the effort of the others

A Team expulsion vote, as explained before, it's not something so unreasonable to me.

Since the forum is monitored, I want to invite people to share similar events and to suggest solutions maybe different from mine or add some modifications.

Well, sometimes are players so conceited and think: when i play this way every1 play that way, it ´s more noobish then leaching. Yes it was his problem: when 1 Excavator play solo, but u can also leave the session, loosing 1 Excavator isn ´t Worlds end.

I cant stand these people as well. Why are you joining and going to THE FARMING SPOTS in a team when if all you want is 1 and done you can easily solo it with about any loadout available.

People are extremely self centered and think they are all that matters in the universe.

9 hours ago, VPX88 said:

I don't want to defend this guy, mostly because I don't know what actually happened. From your point of view random guy joins pre-made team so he should play along. I completely agree with it. But from his point of view he joined other 3 randoms, so why he should play along? :) There is no indicator if the team was setup before or at mission start. All he wanted is one more guy that joins him at extraction as that would finish the mission so I bet he thought you all are trolling him.

Yes, bad behaviour is not acceptable - regardless if provoked or not (it's both for him and for you). Yes, he should left after first few extractors if you guys didn't want to play along (21 extractors was huge waste of credits for him). No you can't expect everyone joining your team of 3 to know you are pre-made and play along. For that reason I never play open ended excavations or survivals with randoms.

10 hours ago, VPX88 said:

Ok, how was he leeching on your efforts?  You specified your goals in the middle of a public lobby.  He obviously didn't want to go 20 excavators with randoms in a public lobby.  That's something no sane person would do.  Why should he be the one to quit and waste the time he has invested in the mision?  I'd be upset too.  Next time use recruit chat.

Every time someone comes on the forums to complain about the behavior of others, they always make themselves look worse.  

there's something dishonest about making a preformed party of 3 and invoking "majority rule" as if it was a democratic decision.... it's kinda like 3 people meeting up at a bar, inviting someone to join em for drinks and then the three vote that the fourth should pick up the bar tab for all since it's a democratic majority rule decision X_X