Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to transform Frost into a Tank warframe?

peq42

Question

Man common, which mods i need to make this thing tank?

sem_ty10.jpg

With those i'm dying very easy (alone) on missions level ~50

EDIT: Ah and...before anyone say: Sorry for posting on the wrong area.I only saw where i was posting after posting...

Edited by elpeleq42

5 minutes ago, elpeleq42 said:

Man common, which mods i need to make this thing tank?

sem_ty10.jpg

With those i'm dying very easy (alone) on missions level ~50

EDIT: Ah and...before anyone say: Sorry for posting on the wrong area.I only saw where i was posting after posting...

Fast reflection is good but find the original one and not one broken (max it)

like @Trichouette said, he isnt a tank frame and your doing something wrong if you die at lvl 50

also personally, i would leave only one survivability mod to fit in a flow and either forma a dash in aura slot or do rejuvination

also, if you want a tank frame, go get a nyx, valkyr, or inaros

Edited by (XB1)TomTheImperator

I usually build my frost for range, armor and health (so no redirection), then I add ice wave impedance or chilling globe (or both).

The augments really make frost shine as a crowd control beast. If all enemies are slowed down a lot its much easier to dodge their attacks and stay alive.

12 minutes ago, Trichouette said:

Frost isn't a tank frame.

You don't survive that much if you aren't in your snow globe.

Only advice is to use steel fiber / vitality / redirection

I dunno he seems pretty damn tanky to me even without relying on snow globe. He's one of the frames whose shields, health, and armor is definitely up in the higher ranges.

4 minutes ago, (XB1)BroaderSaucer said:

Frost isnt a tank, hes a defense-objective shielder/CC frame. if your looking for a tank id reccommend you look at rhino, valkyr, or chroma.

As far as I'm concerned being able to absorb a lot of damage (which frost can do both with and without snow globe to a degree) comes under the definition of a tank. Static defense or not. 

2 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

I dunno he seems pretty damn tanky to me even without relying on snow globe. He's one of the frames whose shields, health, and armor is definitely up in the higher ranges.

Unless that shield is useless when considering "tankyness", 740 hp isn't that much and 630 armor means 67% damage mitigation for a total of 2200 effective health... Not that much.

At high level his only chances are CC and globe

Vitality, Redirection and Steel Fiber should be more than enough for Frost to take some punishment. If you are dying so fast, maybe you're too stationary? I would suggest trying to move as much as possible, and use cover whenever your shields run out and let them regenerate. If cover is not an option, or you're caught in the open, place a globe - it's only 50 energy and might save your life.

My frost is mega tanky with Vitality and Redirection.

Snow globe benefits from HUEJ range too, because it slows down everything inside and keeps the bullets away from everything outside, while giving you enough space to pretty much live inside it. Long range also has the benefit of turning your #4 into an outstanding panic button as everything freezes solid 3 rooms away.

Try this cc build and you will love him forever:

Good duration,good range,170% efficiency(fleeting not maxed) and Ice wave impedance augment.I also have Vitality on.

Ice wave has large range and lasts long and Avalanche freezes everything in fairly large range for long time.Efficiency makes you cast them all the time with low power usage and if you have Zenurik passive or Arcane Energize you can cast it all the time with great effect.

So don't go tank go CC .Frost is born for this.

1 hour ago, Trichouette said:

Unless that shield is useless when considering "tankyness", 740 hp isn't that much and 630 armor means 67% damage mitigation for a total of 2200 effective health... Not that much.

At high level his only chances are CC and globe

You could say that about most frames with val and inaros being two of only a few exceptions. His abilities still fall into a tank/CC role. As far as I'm concerned frost was always a tank, ergo, there is no need to "transform" him into a tank. Of course you can build him in a way that focuses more on CC etc. But he still fills the role of a static tank fairly well. I've never seen tank and defence as two separate roles. If your job is to absorb damage and you have abilities that fill that role well, then you're a tank. The only thing he doesn't have that fits into the typical tank role is a taunt, but thats never been a huge feature in WF. Really only two abilities in the game stand out as taunts. Those being molt and Atlas's rumbler augment.

At high level most frames CC abilities are their only hope.

Depends on what you're going for. For solo play, even negative range wouldn't hurt as it makes Snowglobe protect you from closer enemies, but I say use his augment mod for ice wave (ice wave impedance) and high range, and enemies will be too slow to kill you. Pop a bubble and you're good for any level.

My build for a basic no augment frost?

Primed Continuity (regular continuity will due)

Transient Fortitude

Intensify

Stretch

Steel Fiber

Vitality (Redirection will work only if you have it maxed out, otherwise stick with vitality)

Streamline (Ice Wave Impedance can replace this unless the energy cost is too much)

Cunning drift (Power Drift also works, both if you have space and open exilus slot, Ice Wave Impedance can replace this too)

Edited by (PS4)Crixus044

3 hours ago, GLTHX said:

Vitality, Redirection and Steel Fiber should be more than enough for Frost to take some punishment. If you are dying so fast, maybe you're too stationary? I would suggest trying to move as much as possible, and use cover whenever your shields run out and let them regenerate. If cover is not an option, or you're caught in the open, place a globe - it's only 50 energy and might save your life.

This!

There's many posts here covering the Mod-ing aspects well and it looks like you already had the build pretty well covered to start with.

But as you work your way up the scale-chain fighting tougher enemies that hit harder and harder the only thing (outside of a frame with actual Invulnerability and besides really good CC) that can keep you alive is Active Evasion!

Use Cover, now that DE was gracious enough to fix it so that Bombard rockets don't blow right thru cover it's amazing!

Use Bullet Jump and Dodge. Dodge in particular is something I don't think anyone has said yet and I see so very few people actually honing as a skill in game and it's one of our vert best survivability/damage mitigation tools. 

My friends I play with seem to pretty much never dodge, I myself even being aware of it don't dodge nearly as much or as often as I should.

It is a literal life saver.

These fundamental skills can make playing a no powers Banshee just as hard to kill as a maxed out on Tanky-ness Frost. *(Snow Globe not included of course, heh!)

Cheers and Have Fun Tenno! ;-)
~R~

Edited by Rolunde
fixed a typo

4 minutes ago, Rolunde said:

This!

There's many posts here covering the Mod-ing aspects well and it looks like you already had the build pretty well covered to start with.

But as you work your way up the scale-chain fighting tougher enemies that hit harder and harder the only thing (outside of a frame with actual Invulnerability and besides really good CC) that can keep you alive is Active Evasion!

Use Cover, now that DE was gracious enough to fix it so that Bombard rockets down blow right thru cover it's amazing!

Use Bullet Jump and Dodge. Dodge in particular is something I don't think anyone has said yet and I see so very few people actually honing as a skill in game and it's one of our vert best survivability/damage mitigation tools. 

My friends I play with seem to pretty much never dodge, I myself even being aware of it don't dodge nearly as much or as often as I should.

It is a literal life saver.

These fundamental skills can make playing a no powers Banshee just as hard to kill as a maxed out on Tanky-ness Frost. *(Snow Globe not included of course, heh!)

Cheers and Have Fun Tenno! ;-)
~R~

It's the first thing I teach newcomers. Parkour in this game is way more important than anything else.

As said before in the grand scheme of things Frost isn't a tank perse. None of his statistics are particularly noteworthy in the tanking department. Hell Mag can tank better with Shield Transference. If you want Frost to, "tank," build him for snow globe. That's how he tanks.

If you want a more traditional tank use Valkyr, Inaros, Zephyr, Nezha, WuKong, Rhino, Chroma or the best tank IN THE GAME Trinity. A few of these are deceptive in their tanking ability, Zephyr for example has the highest combined shields and health, and what she doesn't have in armor she makes up for in turbulence which a lot of people don't know this, but it makes you entirely immune to projectiles while it is up. Nezha and Rhino use the exact same tanking mechanics, and Trinity is the best tank because she can stack more DR than another other frame, fully heal at the press of a button and can keep herself going with infinite energy. She is hands down the best tank because of this. Valkyr has a literal invincibility button and a base of 600 armor. Inaros and Chroma with the right set up can use healing to keep themselves alive. In chroma's case life strike is what I suggest. Then WuKong has that like ability to prevent himself from dying or whatever. All I know is it makes him tank as hell.

Although someone mentioned Nyx, she really isn't a tank. However she can CC entire rooms, can absorb damage with one if her abilities and fit redirection, vitality and vigor on one build making her probably the best frame in the game along with Vauban and Loki. None of them I would consider tanks.

Edited by silkygoodness

Wow.... reading these posts... Something must have changed over the last 3 years.... cause frost had the same stats as rhino, and both were considered tanks. Now Frost has 110 armor more than rhino.

Even with Iron Crutch, Frost isnt that far off from rhino unless you are doing some sort of super meta build or whatever.

Which begs the question, what is a tank? Do you expect to go afk for 15 min, make a sandwich, and come back expecting your frame to still be alive?

As some people have already stated, mobility is key to survival first and foremost.

Redirection, Vitality, Steel Fiber. Max em out. Thats more than enough to take a few hits and keep on going. Start utilizing ALL of his powers, and youve got a recipe for a beast.

Meta builds will get you in trouble IMO