Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is this realy faster?

Kornvak

Question

11 answers to this question

The difference is hardly noticeable.

If you care about the tiniest of details for a video game that does not require high end specs, then sure whatever floats your boat.
But if you want the upgrade, then get it because you like the new OS - don't base it solely on performance.

Windows 10 is indeed faster, but you'll also have to edit quite a bit of stuff if the loss in Privacy that comes with W10 is of any value to you, or the change in general UI for that matter. I've held on to my W7 for quite a while until recently because of DirectX12, which sadly is W10 only. I have to say, even though i was very, very, very sceptical at first, but after fiddling around with it and disabling all the data-mining stuff (even though there are 1000 others ways to do it and it probably won't stop anyways) it was quite nice. It even boots up way faster than my W7 did, even though after installing the Anniversary Update it now shows the "Hello, User" on Bootup which drags it down by 1-2 Seconds, but oh well. And as mentioned, not everybody notices the performance improvement, but you WILL do when u sing DX12.

Edited by Extroah

for Warframe it won't particularly matter.

privacy concerns can be resolved by removing snooping stuff from the Operating System, just like similar things or other stupid features can be disabled or removed in previous iterations.

more importantly, for most people w10 stock is a lot more usable than w8/w8.1 stock.

3 minutes ago, mobilehacker said:

Windows 10 locks fps on 60 for me, im using Lenovo Z580 laptop. I would redcommend to stay away from W10 if your main intention is gaming.

That doesn't make sense. W10 is the only OS to offer DirectX12, and FPS locked at 60 sounds more like vSync to me than W10 issues.

Im not expert. but i strongly believe that you should not upgrade to windows 10 UNLESS you know what you're after (dx12 for example).
Win 10 has its + and -. So if you know, that win 10 will give you a feature youre after. go for it.
if you dont know what are the gains, you will not benefit from them anyway,

As  said, im not expert, just opinion. (based on my whole family upgrading to win 10, and then had to sort out each peripherals issues, teach them to use it. sort out networks and shared devices and such)

Like others stated, WIN 10 will not make any difference for you in Warframe (and if windows is on Default setup, with medicore machine, it may even slow everything down a little)

If you want, i bet people here have plenty of advices. Sharing your Pc setup might help. If you dont want to post your specs on public forum, send me a PM, ill try to help as i can.

Edited by PiotrGracz

I've used win10 for about a year. Still miss win7.

I haven't really noticed a speed difference but my rig is a bit overqualified for most games.

I only upgraded for DX12 and Vulcan wasn't really getting the backing I was hoping for.

It's important to install Win10 yourself so you can turn off all the spyware options. Then you have to go through the system setting and turn other things off. It's a real pain and makes me miss the days when there was actually more OS options than Windows and Unix.

1 hour ago, Extroah said:

That doesn't make sense. W10 is the only OS to offer DirectX12, and FPS locked at 60 sounds more like vSync to me than W10 issues.

Yes, this doesnt make any sense. But its true. Vsync is globally disabled. Same settings, W10=60fps, W8=90fps in Warframe.