The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do people in trade chat get mad when you aren't willing to pay their price?

(PSN)Coyote_x_Starrk

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I generally offer 60-70% of market value.

With all due respect, as little as that may be, I don't think you really get it. If you can't stand paying a fair price, you can always farm. People are under no obligation to sell themselves short for your convenience, and if anything you owe it to them for putting in the work where you clearly didn't. If the asking price is already fair, any offer less than ~75% is simply attempted theft.

Edited by Dreddeth

7 minutes ago, Dreddeth said:

With all due respect, as little as that may be, I don't think you really get it. If you can't stand paying a fair price, you can always farm. People are under no obligation to sell themselves short for your convenience, and if anything you owe it to them for putting in the work where you clearly didn't. If the asking price is already fair, anything less than ~75% is simply attempted theft.

I love the subtle "As little as that may be" Top tier bait there lol 

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay and what someone is willing to take. 

The fact I count on people being more desperate for plat than wanting a fair price doesn't make be a bad player or person. It just makes me smarter than the people shelling out full prices for everything. As I have said me offering the way I do has worked plenty of times. If I have to make low offers to 100 people or 10 people all I need is to find that ONE guy who needs the plat more than he needs a fair deal. Bam. I get exactly what I wanted for WAY less than what everyone else is paying. 

SWTOR, Diablo 3, WoW, etc etc all of the games I play that has any form of auction house I do the very best I can to get as much as I can for as little as possible. 

Also when I am the one selling I am the guy that is selling for 90 if everyone else is asking 100, because I would rather i have the plat in my pocket asap than sit in trade chat asking max value for everything. I don't mind cutting money off the top if it equals a quick sell for someone who otherwise couldn't afford it or like me didn't wanna pay full price. 

Auction houses and trading are my favorite parts of games like this. Its like cocaine to me. Haggling and hunting down deals is like half the fun. 

Edited by (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I know you already explained, but what else am I gonna do while sitting on my butt trading my odds and ends. This thread and my Simulor thread are entertaining as hell. 

Beats region chat or clan chat. 

I know :D Already got some popcorn for your simulor thread :3 Unfortunely it's not salty enough. But we all know, your thread will fix it :D

Edited by WhyNotBro

When i want to buy something and someone try to rob me by overpricing like hell, i usually reply, "it's now worth it for this price". After few rage whisper spams i told them, that if they don't want to earn PL, i can go on market website and found buyer in matter of seconds. After 1 minute, suddenly seller have 75% off action :D It's bit harder when you are seller, but it basically work same. This or telling, that he either want that item or you will go to bazaar and sell it on first offer. This usually make them cooperate.

About Akstiletto Prime..it's hard.

You see, people selling it for 120+ but buyers buying it for 50-100. So i think the 70-90 is rational price tag. If you find good sellers, you might get it for your 70.

Edited by JustSneaky

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

To be 100% honest I had NO CLUE that thread was gonna explode like that. 

Popcorn! :D This has happened a few times. People ask me to send an offer. I say I don't know the price, they can always tell me if its too low. Give them an offer. Insta-block ;( Sad but it will happen

Unless someone says "Selling w/e for 70p" and you say "50?" then maybe that would happen.

Edited by DrunkKoalaWF

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

-snip-

If we were using virtual money, i.e. Gold, Credits, whatever, you might have actually had a point there, but someone down the line is gonna have to buy plat eventually, so preying on the impatient is kinda... Well, just because it's allowed doesn't mean it's ethical in some people's eyes, and that's the sticking point for us two here. You see no problem with it; I regard it as theft. You're here for the entertainment value at this point, as you've admitted, and I must shamefully admit that I was under the impression that you wanted an answer as opposed to attention, negative though it may be.

To get back on topic, it's actually kinda funny that you trade like that and then dare to ask why you get the occasional hostile party. As I'm sure you've surmised, the gist of it is that there are going to be people who realize you're ripping them off, or who are willing to wait to get their work's actual worth as opposed to chump change from some hotshot who'll be gone in a minute after someone else. If you're willing to wait through a hundred offers for the one guy who doesn't care at that moment what his stuff is actually worth, it shouldn't surprise you that sometimes people hold out for a more respectful buyer than the likes of you.

And of course since we're both so assured of our position's superiority and equally disdainful of the other's, getting into a row about this is completely pointless unless we want some warning points, so here's where my part in this discussion ends.

3 hours ago, HerpDerpy said:

If someone says they are selling something for lets say 150 plat, then you PM them and say "no I wont pay that price ill only pay 100"

then that's on you buddy.

If you want to buy something and you're only willing to spend so much, then you post on the chat what you want to buy and for how much.

Except those annoying numpty's that say "make me an offer" when you ask them about something they are selling.

They don't give a price so we're expected to guess, of course we're going to start low. 

If these folk want a better starting price then they need to tell people what they want for it rather than expecting people to play the guessing game. 

55 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

Auction houses and trading are my favorite parts of games like this. Its like cocaine to me. Haggling and hunting down deals is like half the fun. 

Please.

Haggling only happens in Barter system (What Warframe uses).

Auction house is just staring at the screen and clicking buttons when you see someone offering something at below market value because they don't know the price (What most MMO uses).

I totally get what you mean by hunting down good deals though, sometimes when new stuff comes out, I go around trade and spam WTB XXXX for w.e Plat, and I occasionally get a good deal and sell the things I just bought for 2x profit.

Still, associating Auction Houses and haggling is like saying Vinegar is sweet. (I mean like, white, 100% vinegar used for cleaning stuff, the stuff that burns your flesh and will kill you if you drink it (because I know there are sweet vinegars in the world))

Just no.

Edited by Noobverest

15 minutes ago, Noobverest said:

Please.

Haggling only happens in Barter system (What Warframe uses).

Auction house is just staring at the screen and clicking buttons when you see someone offering something at below market value because they don't know the price (What most MMO uses).

I totally get what you mean by hunting down good deals though, sometimes when new stuff comes out, I go around trade and spam WTB XXXX for w.e Plat, and I occasionally get a good deal and sell the things I just bought for 2x profit.

Still, associating Auction Houses and haggling is like saying Vinegar is sweet. (I mean like, white, 100% vinegar used for cleaning stuff, the stuff that burns your flesh and will kill you if you drink it (because I know there are sweet vinegars in the world))

Just no.

I sent direct messages to people with items listed on the AH in WoW all the time to haggle lol

When Akstilettos first arrived we were selling them for 250p! Now I see them for as low as 50p? I sold 10 sets before I built them and found out how good they are. In my opinion they are worth at least 100 but like I said I've seen them lower.

I would also say that 80% of people in trade chat need to learn some manners / etiquette as they really can be rather rude. Trading has also been kind of messed up by the new relic system so it's harder to sell items for their true value (at least that's how I see it ).

Typical trade usually goes...

P1)WTS Akstilletto Set... P2)Hi How much are you selling for?... P1)Offer!... P2)Ummm 50pl?... P1)NTY

The end!

No haggling no counter offers! Seriously! Trading can be fun when you get a good exchange.

P1)WTS Akstilletto Set... P2)Hi How much are you selling for?... P1)150p is a good price... P2) 80p is better ^^.. P1) Too low, It's six parts and two trades... how about 115p?...

and so on.. from here you might find they have something else you're after or as I have found after a good exchange they might give you more than you agreed because they had a price in mind they're willing to pay and have got it lower (rare but has happened plenty of times for me).

I have had some horrifying experiences trading with some people but I just smile and move to the next. Ultimately you're playing to enjoy yourself, don't let anyone get to you, laugh it off (as it's their issue not yours) 

Happy trading!

5 hours ago, (PS4)GbHaseo said:

Trade is full of rude ppl.. just hit ignore and move on or use warframe.market

actually warframe.market is a terrible website imo. I also never hit ignore. You never know who could be the next customer a week from then... Just close tab and move on. Trade chat takes determination and as long as you are polite to the rude people then you should be all set

5 hours ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I can understand getting annoyed or whatever, but the last few days while I have been looking for an Akstilleto set (I gave up and decided to just use the Aksomati) on more than one occasion I was insulted and/or blocked when I said I wasn't interested in the set at the price they quoted me for and offered a lower price. So then I just said that I would pass and wait for a price drop or a better deal only to be yelled at in all caps, insulted, and/or blocked. 

Are people seriously that thin skinned? 

just to be curious..how much are you willing to pay for the set ? 

3 hours ago, Dreddeth said:

With all due respect, as little as that may be, I don't think you really get it. If you can't stand paying a fair price, you can always farm. People are under no obligation to sell themselves short for your convenience, and if anything you owe it to them for putting in the work where you clearly didn't. If the asking price is already fair, any offer less than ~75% is simply attempted theft.

I think you're giving a little too much credit to the seller.  A majority of people farm up standing/medalions before prime stuff is dropped.  they usually have a full set of all the prime stuff+ extras.  it's not an inconvienence for the people who do that to sell at a lower price.  Plenty of people take advantage of the impatient and bad luck players.  So to make OP sound like he's purely the bad guy or people who ask for a smaller price in general is just ignorance.

And who dictates "fair" to begin with?  There are no set prices for any of the items.  "theft" is a low blow.  Everyone rips on everyone in trade chat.  No one is innocent.  I'm much in the same boat as OP.  I always argue for a cheaper price simply because I almost never have plat.  and whenever I do sell I always sell it cheaper then the inflated nonsense prices most do.  Because I'd rather help someone out who might be just as screwed as me plat/luck wise than have a bit more platinum.

Regardless of personal feelings on what the OP was asking for nothing ever excuses poor behavior.  If the gent didn't like OP's price he could have politely declined.  insults are not excusable regardless of the price at hand.

Lowballers are scum, plain and simple, but this guy isn't nearly as bad as they can be.  I cannot tell you how many people I've dealt with in the last week offering 10-15% of an item's street price, and this is speaking as someone who usually prices at the current lowest ask on warframe.market.  The problem is that you have the same people doing this day after day, looking for their perfect bargain hoping to find someone gullible enough to take them up on their scam and messaging you again because they forgot they just insulted you the day before with the same bs offer.

A seller would be insane not to block these people.

Edited by niekaa

22 minutes ago, niekaa said:

Lowballers are scum, plain and simple, but this guy isn't nearly as bad as they can be.  I cannot tell you how many people I've dealt with in the last week offering 10-15% of an item's street price, and this is speaking as someone who usually prices at the current lowest ask on warframe.market.  The problem is that you have the same people doing this day after day, looking for their perfect bargain hoping to find someone gullible enough to take them up on their scam and messaging you again because they forgot they just insulted you the day before with the same bs offer.

A seller would be insane not to block these people.

cool story bro 

10-15% yeah sure block them. 

people like me just looking for a good deal? Seriously? 

Edited by (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk

1 hour ago, -Voltage- said:

actually warframe.market is a terrible website imo. I also never hit ignore. You never know who could be the next customer a week from then... Just close tab and move on. Trade chat takes determination and as long as you are polite to the rude people then you should be all set

I beg to disagree. All my best transactions were through this site. Especially if you want something, and sellers are trying to rob you. Just boot up browser and look for first offer on this item. Is he online? bam after 10 seconds you got your item.

About trading ethics..use bazaar. Seriously this place is completely different than trade chat. Much more humble traders who chit chat with you while selling/buying things and offer better prices. Why? Because if they try to scam you, victim can say it in chat and no one will buy from you, because you are in same place as other traders. 

Edited by JustSneaky

5 minutes ago, JustSneaky said:

I beg to disagree. All my best transactions were through this site. Especially if you want something, and sellers are trying to rob you. Just boot up browser and look for first offer on this item. Is he online? bam after 10 seconds you got your item.

About trading ethics..use bazaar. Seriously this place is completely different than trade chat. Much more humble traders who chit chat with you while selling/buying things and offer better prices.

This, bazaar is always fun to take a break from punching hordes to death. Selling sculptures for 25p etc...