Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best bow in warframe ?

Bk201HeadShot

Question

Hello guys !

I am modding my weapons :) and recently, i managed to get ivara (after a lot of runs)

Now i am facing a serious problem, i don't know which "Bow" i should make my main bow (My plans are 2 formas at least and 1 orokin catalyst)

So what is the best bow at the moment in warframe ?

is it Dread ? Rakta cernos ? Or paris prime ? or is it something beyond that ? 

And have fun guys :) thanks for your precious time :) 

21 answers to this question

The Dread. Has better crit chance and superior physical damage type[Slash > Impact=Puncture]. While you have to sacrifice a slot for a firerate mod comparared to the Rakta Cernos which does not, it makes up for it in crits and slash procs. 

Edited by aligatorno

They each have some perks you'd have to decide based on you're interest and play style.

Rakta Cernos: Best kill rate for lvl 30-80 content. Forgiving through faster projectile and fast draw speed. Syndicate proc.

Dread: Best damage per shot. Good for lvl 80+ Heavy units. Armored or otherwise. Slow draw speed. Good build diversity.

Mutalist Cernos: Synergy with frames like Mag / Saryn. AoE to compensate the weakness of bows. Good Vs 80+ armored units or otherwise. Good build diversity.

Special mention since it's not technically a bow.

Zhuge:  Good mix of Damage per shot and DPS, Decent build diversity, kicks like a mule unless you "tap shot", becomes an absolute beast with a Riven mod.

Edited by Xzorn

None are the "best" flat-out. It all depends on how you feel like playing.

Dread is the best for single shots and is arguably the best for stealth. However, Slash damage is much weaker against shields and armor than Impact and Puncture are. This means the Dread suffers against high armor scaling. Built properly, though, it won't matter - you'll be doing enough damage to overcome that. On top of its high damage, it also has high critical chance and damage stats, making it even more powerful. 

Rakta Cernos is a fan favorite, being the fastest bow with the highest damage per second. The drawback is that it can't reach 100% crit as easily as Dread and Paris Prime can, so it has the potential not to crit and instead do reduced damage. Arguably among the worst of the bows for stealth runs since you may not kill enemies in one hit. It does have the advantage of the "Blight" proc, which gives all enemies within like 25 meters a Viral proc. Immensely useful. 

Paris Prime is my personal favorite bow, since it reaches 100% crit easily, is powerful, and the puncture damage type does increased damage to armor, so it shines against Grineer when you have no armor reduction abilities or auras. Overall, I feel it's a mix between Dread's power and Rakta's wider range of uses. 

I think you should also consider Cernos Prime as a bow. Maybe a lot of people would disagree with me, but it's got some ridiculous damage potential when modded and used properly. Unlike the other bows, it should not be used for sniping since it has innate multi-shot, which spreads the damage across multiple arrows and makes it weaker at range. However, if you use it a bit closer, it's got considerably more damage than Dread does. Using it, you lose the sniping capability of bows, but you gain massive damage potential, and I've grown quite fond of it in the short time I've had it. If I had to compare it to another weapon, it's most like a shotgun in bow form. To add to that, It may be the best looking bow we've got. And everyone knows that Fashion is King.

1 hour ago, Bk201HeadShot said:

Hello guys !

I am modding my weapons :) and recently, i managed to get ivara (after a lot of runs)

Now i am facing a serious problem, i don't know which "Bow" i should make my main bow (My plans are 2 formas at least and 1 orokin catalyst)

So what is the best bow at the moment in warframe ?

is it Dread ? Rakta cernos ? Or paris prime ? or is it something beyond that ? 

And have fun guys :) thanks for your precious time :) 

Well the best bow can change easily depending on the frame it's being used with.  For example, the Rakta Cernos is kinda the best bow for Ivara.  Dread would be so for Ash.  Some like me even prefer the Daikyu over the Paris series.  Other than the examples I listed and maybe a few others, it's really personal preference.  I have them all, but mostly use Rakta Cernos and Daikyu more than the others. 

28 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Well the best bow can change easily depending on the frame it's being used with.  For example, the Rakta Cernos is kinda the best bow for Ivara.  Dread would be so for Ash.  Some like me even prefer the Daikyu over the Paris series.  Other than the examples I listed and maybe a few others, it's really personal preference.  I have them all, but mostly use Rakta Cernos and Daikyu more than the others. 

Thanks man ! I am going to use this boy on ivara and loki prime, i just want something strong and suits them perfectly, a friend of mine suggested Cernos and dread, but ATM i can only focus on one, and i don't know which one i should take.. what are their pros and cons ? and what makes them special ? 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Akabane85 said:

I'd say, Rakta Cernos for killing everything, Energy replenish and Viral procs. Dread for insane Slash proc and Red Crits.

These two are good bows, or maybe best. There's no particular stronger or weaker between these two, choose which you like or feel the best.

Energy replenish and Viral procs ? what do you mean by that ?

1 hour ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

None are the "best" flat-out. It all depends on how you feel like playing.

Dread is the best for single shots and is arguably the best for stealth. However, Slash damage is much weaker against shields and armor than Impact and Puncture are. This means the Dread suffers against high armor scaling. Built properly, though, it won't matter - you'll be doing enough damage to overcome that. On top of its high damage, it also has high critical chance and damage stats, making it even more powerful. 

Rakta Cernos is a fan favorite, being the fastest bow with the highest damage per second. The drawback is that it can't reach 100% crit as easily as Dread and Paris Prime can, so it has the potential not to crit and instead do reduced damage. Arguably among the worst of the bows for stealth runs since you may not kill enemies in one hit. It does have the advantage of the "Blight" proc, which gives all enemies within like 25 meters a Viral proc. Immensely useful. 

Paris Prime is my personal favorite bow, since it reaches 100% crit easily, is powerful, and the puncture damage type does increased damage to armor, so it shines against Grineer when you have no armor reduction abilities or auras. Overall, I feel it's a mix between Dread's power and Rakta's wider range of uses. 

I think you should also consider Cernos Prime as a bow. Maybe a lot of people would disagree with me, but it's got some ridiculous damage potential when modded and used properly. Unlike the other bows, it should not be used for sniping since it has innate multi-shot, which spreads the damage across multiple arrows and makes it weaker at range. However, if you use it a bit closer, it's got considerably more damage than Dread does. Using it, you lose the sniping capability of bows, but you gain massive damage potential, and I've grown quite fond of it in the short time I've had it. If I had to compare it to another weapon, it's most like a shotgun in bow form. To add to that, It may be the best looking bow we've got. And everyone knows that Fashion is King.

Thank you so much !

to make it clear, Dread got Burst, while cernos got DPS, right ? if it's the case, I think burst on bows it's better, if you want dps then you can go for a soma or something like that, bows are made to burst enemies from far away, silently,

and i want to confirm something, does Dread outdamage cernos ?

Let's use maths a little, how much dmg do they deal per shot ?, How much dmg do they deal per second, how much dmg do they deal per 2 seconds ? and finaly, how much dmg do they deal per 10 seconds ?

this is the best wat to judge dmg in my opinion :)

Just now, Bk201HeadShot said:

to make it clear, Dread got Burst, while cernos got DPS, right ? if it's the case, I think burst on bows it's better, if you want dps then you can go for a soma or something like that, bows are made to burst enemies from far away, silently,

and i want to confirm something, does Dread outdamage cernos ?

Yes. Dread has higher burst. It has much more damage per shot and always crits (as long as you have a Point Strike on). 

Dread can out-damage Cernos shot-for-shot on a single enemy, but Cernos can fire much faster, which gives it more damage over time. 

I am not sure about those specific questions lmao. You'd have to do that math yourself, especially since the damage varies depending on what mods are used on the bows. But I can give you these links so you can figure it out yourself :P

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Dread

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rakta_Cernos Note: Rakta Cernos requires you to be Mastery Rank 12 before you can even buy/trade for it.

I ask this a while back with regards to Ivara specifically myself. 

I tried out a bunch of options including some non-bows and my conclusion basically confirmed what's been most recommended here.

Dread is a very fine bow once you get the b.p. it's totally worth building and keeping. High Crit built around slash damage is very nice.

For Ivara I found Rakta Cernos to be even better because of the innate proc, that energy is so great for her. And if you want to use Artemis Bow I find using Fast hands reduced reload to be better than Speed Trigger's fire rate.  Again unless I am totally messing this up Fast Hands lets you spam the shots faster where Speed Trigger lets you change the arrow alignment quicker. 

So if I want to just let the weapon provide me with energy and/or use Artemis Bow then RC is the top choice between those 2. 

But most of the time I run her using the Zhuge instead. 

I usually find the game is too fast paced for using a Bow and prefer the full auto power of the crossbow. 

And I run mine mod-ed with Artemis Bow in mind. 

Spoiler

My current set-ups. I don't claim they are the best, but they seem to work OK so far.

7CFB1C98BEC4B7AFE62AB8455F534C1662688160 (1680×1050)962347B3C4B8F524321B522ECE508850A9539BBA (1680×1050)

5ED07331172C7F3EB9C7F67877B6B810FEF6D292 (1680×1050)

Cheers!
~R~

4 hours ago, Bk201HeadShot said:

Energy replenish and Viral procs ? what do you mean by that ?

The Rakta Cernos has a syndicate proc that hits after you kill so many enemies or get enough affinity to fill the bar.  That proc sends out a radial wave doing 1000 viral damage and giving back energy.  This means that Rakta Cernos is one of the very few ways Ivara can regain energy while in Prowl.  The only other way for Ivara to get energy while in Prowl is getting Energy Orbs.  This is why I said the Rakta Cernos is kinda the best bow for her. 

4 hours ago, Bk201HeadShot said:

Thanks man ! I am going to use this boy on ivara and loki prime, i just want something strong and suits them perfectly, a friend of mine suggested Cernos and dread, but ATM i can only focus on one, and i don't know which one i should take.. what are their pros and cons ? and what makes them special ? 

I covered the R. Cernos above.  hehe.  T.S.Mcgee advised some more on the Dread.  I will try to simplify it even more.

Dread has the highest single damage of all the bows because of it's very high Crit Chance stat.  You can get it to Red Crit quite often.  Then it also has Slash damage that will cause bleeding status on enemies.  More damage over time due to that and also why Ash can be lethal with it.  :D

Rakta Cernos has the fastest charge of all the bows.  This faster firing time plus AoE damage from synd proc will allow it to kill more enemies faster than the Dread over time. 

Then you get to add the effects and abilities of the Frames to adjust this even more.  Volt's power would allow him to shoot the Dread faster than another frame can fire a Rakta Cernos.  Ivara's Prowl has a headshot multiplier that can boost the overall damage of the Rakta Cernos to levels close Dread if not over.  Then you have the Adarza Kavat's Cat's Eye buff that gives bonus 60% crit chance to damn near everything.  (Smeeta has Charm which gives everything automatic Red Crits). 

I hope this helps you more.  As you can see, this is probably why Rakta Cernos and Dread are considered THE top bows.  Sorry Paris Prime and my poor Daikyu.