Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Random Idea on Shield Gating

AlienOvermind

Shield gating will surely be useful against one-shots. But that's it. All warframes with at least some shields will get benefit from shield gating and Redirection will probably stay highly inferior to Vitality. So, what would it take to make Redirection more viable? Well, easy — several "stages" of shield gating. It can work like this:

• All shields are divided in several sections 300 shield each (or 200 / 250 / 350 / 400 / etc — exact number is obviously debatable).
  • Depleting one section gives invincibility for 1 second.

This mechanics would be pretty scalable into late game and can give a real reason to prefer Redirection over Vitality / Steel Fiber.

Also, Shield Restore pizza would probably need to be removed as it can be too powerful with multi-stage gating.

Edited by AlienOvermind

19 minutes ago, D20 said:

How about one gate every 400 shields + gate when shields are at 0 ?

Yeah I like this idea. To be honest I'd be happy if all they did was gate when shields reach 0.
The only real issue I have is getting one shot, and having the shield "block" that remaining damage, which normally goes to the health, would make things a lot fairer.

+1

I personally would like to see both shield and health gates. To balance it, the health gate should be around 2x the value of shield gates (e.g. if the shield is gated at 300/segment, the health is gated at 600/segment), since I'm thinking about giving high-hp-low-shield frames something too.

7 minutes ago, Reefermun said:

Reminds me of an idea I had for a Warframe gimmick some time back: a 'frame that only takes 1 damage when his shields are struck, no matter how strong the attack is, but the catch is that he has abysmally low shields.

It's actually a very good idea.

Also, instead of 1-damage-always, a cap for inflicted damage would work too. Cap value would be based on enemy's firerate — like lower ~10 damage cap for Lancers and ~100 damage cap for Bombards for example, so basically shield would work in the same manner against any level enemies.

Edited by AlienOvermind

How about shield reduce incoming damage by a fixed amount?

ie, if shield is modded as a 'lighting - type' shield, this shield now reduced 20 lighting-element damage per every 100 shield they frame have. (minimal in-take is 1 damage).

Meaning this shield can now reduce a total nullified damage to a total of 20 X (1/100) shield to 1 damage, as long have shields and it's lighting-element.

On the other hand, modding to lighting - type shield reduces the fixed damage reduction for ice - type element damage. (ie, original is 10 per 100 shield. But after modded, it's 5 per 100 shield).

28 minutes ago, Volinus7 said:

Corpus with shield gate is cute.

Well, thier shields scales much better that ours. So, they don't really need it. But considering that DE already made Corpus full-BS-faction, I won't be too surprised if they get gating too.

3 minutes ago, low1991 said:

How about shield reduce incoming damage by a fixed amount?

It would be the same as simply increasing amount of shields. So, won't help much with endless enemy scaling. Gating with small invisibility windows on the other side would be useful even against Lv150 enemies.

Or reducing incoming damage to some fixed value. Like this: "frame that only takes 1 damage when his shields are struck, no matter how strong the attack is, but the catch is that he has abysmally low shields"

Edited by AlienOvermind

11 minutes ago, AlienOvermind said:

It would be the same as simply increasing amount of shields. So, won't help much with endless enemy scaling. Gating with small invisibility windows on the other side would be useful even against Lv150 enemies.

Or reducing incoming damage to some fixed value. Like this: "frame that only takes 1 damage when his shields are struck, no matter how strong the attack is, but the catch is that he has abysmally low shields"

Game doesn't revolve around endless where enemies scale endless and can even reach level 1360 (U15+?) from what i see.

7 minutes ago, AlienOvermind said:

Sure it doens't. But still having scaling is always better than not having it.

Scale?

Why not, have shield of each type be able to minimum damage taken to 1 on shield?

ie, blast shield reduce all blast-proportion damage (from 1 to infinite) to 1 damage on shield while increasing damage in-take on shield on the opposite of blast by 2x to 3x on shield?

Sounds ridiculous? It does...