Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just downloaded Warframe last week (New Player)

KoolGuyDags

Question

Downloaded the game last week and figured I would share some of my thoughts on the game so far.

From first glance the game is VERY fast, which is fine by me (just disable motion blur before you throw up). The first quest you receive to kill Vor (?) was pretty good overall but after that, the game just stops with story progression. You are just told to do these missions on a planet to go to other planets to start other quests that are all over the place. Other than that the game is solid, I absolutely LOVE the melee systems and the movement. You can pull off some insane combos with them that make you feel like a badass but you are going to have to get very used to the controls, it took me a little bit to get used to the wall running and jumping.

I hope the devs add better tips for new players, 80% of the things I know so far I had to google or youtube it which is pretty bad honestly and I still don't even know the whole game yet. For example:

1.) Should I do missions online or solo?

2.) How do you get new warframes?

3.) How do you trade?

4.) What is Affinity?

5.) What are stance mods?

6.) Whats the difference between prime and regular warframes/weapons?

7.) How do you get more customization options?

8.) What are faction wars?

9.) Who is Ordus?

10.) What is the dojo?

11.) What does my companion do?

etc. (I probably will have more as I continue playing but this is what I don't know so far).

But by far my favorite part is CONCLAVE. PvP is beast in this game, the combos people pull and the cool slow motion effects while ADS in the air and getting a headshot is so satisfying. My only complaint so far is no kill cam (which I think should be added because the game is very fast paced and a lot of times when I get killed its very hard to tell what I got killed by so I can adjust) and nobody playing it (I play on PC)? In free for all I tend to find lobbys with 6-8 people which is fine, team deathmatch is ok, most of the time its 2v2 or 3v3 for me, but capture the flag I barely get into any lobbys I'm always waiting in an empty lobby like 90% of the time. This might be cause of the fact that this was originally suppose to be a PvE game and the devs added pvp later on, which is fine but conclave has so much potential and I hope the devs don't just trash it.

Yes, I will continue playing this game for a while and yes, I do love the game.

I honestly can't believe this is a free game lol.

11 answers to this question

Okay I'll try and answer some, why not, right? You should post this in players helping players though.

Anyways.

2. To get new warframes you need to acquire 4 parts: The blueprint, the chassis, the systems, and the neuroptics. Some bosses drop these things, blueprints can often be purchased from the market. You also need available warframe slots before you can store a new warframe in your inventory. This is where your initial starting platinum is best spent (1 wf slot and a few weapon slots are usually a good starting point)

3. You trade by either using Maroo's bazaar on earth, or by entering a trade kiosk in someone's Dojo. Think of a Dojo as a clan hall or clan housing. People will often invite you to their dojo should you request it for a trade.

4.Affinity is Exp.

5. Stance mods are for melee weapons that give you a mod capacity boost as well as determine what kind of combos you can perform while using that melee weapon.

6. The difference between prime warframes and regular warframes are usually very small stat boosts as well as the passive ability to gain energy from death orbs found from within the void. Prime weapons on the other hand, are usually significant upgrades from their non-prime counterparts.

Okay thats it for me, its quitting time. Hope that helps a bit.

I think the lack of tutorials and advices is the game's charm. It changed a lot already though, it now is more new user friendly. But I'd leave it as it is. Well, at least the veteran level stuff (like the trials - high level 8-peeps missions), having something to figure out on your own is a perfect way of combining challenge and fun. Just my opinions :satisfied: 

9 minutes ago, KoolGuyDags said:

I hope the devs add better tips for new players, 80% of the things I know so far I had to google or youtube it which is pretty bad honestly and I still don't even know the whole game yet. For example:...

Indeed, the devs are currently working on it but in the mean time, keep the wiki under your pillow.

12 minutes ago, KoolGuyDags said:

I honestly can't believe this is a free game lol.

Remember, Warframe's true slogan is: 'Better than Destiny since 2012' ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I highly recommend asking around in general chat or trying to find a local relay, if you're in luck a person with purple text will reply to you and will wear a special emblem on their Warframe with the Lotus' face. These are players who are dedicated to helping out new players. If you ever need any assistance I highly recommend seeking them out.

In general the Warframe community is nice, patient and helpful so there is no need to be shy and no question too trivial.

1.) It is up to you but I recommend co-op for the most fun/mayhem/ease

2.) Various ways but the simplest way is to buy a blueprint from the market and then repeatedly assassinate the boss who drops the other parts required for the blueprint.

3.) You invite someone to your Dojo, someone invites you to their Dojo and you walk up to the Trade Kiosk before requesting a trade. Alternatively you can go to Maroo's Bazaar on Earth where it is possible to trade without going into Dojos. There is a special trade chat. WTB means Want To Buy and WTS means Want To Sell. You must be Mastery Rank 2 to trade.

4.) A fancy way of saying Experience Points.

5.) Special mods equipped on melee weapons to unlock new animations, combos and earn additional mod capacity points.

6.) Lore wise, Prime equipment was made first. Stat wise it is, generally speaking, better than their normal counterparts.

7.) I'm afraid you will have to be more specific. You can customize a lot of things in Warframe in many different ways. For example, you can customize your Warframe, weapons, pet companions and transport ship.

8.) Are you referring to the war between the main factions or the Syndicates?

9.) Ordis is your ship's Cephalon (Artificial Intelligence), he essentially takes care of your ship.

10.) Clan's can build a Dojo as a sort of hub where they can gather, trade, chat and compete.

11.) In general; they support you. This depends on the kind of companion you have as well. All companions can attack the enemy but mostly also serve another function and support you in other ways. For example they could make you invisible, restore your shields or even knock back enemies.

Edited by OriVerda

Online for beginner, solo for challenge yourself...

Almost on each Boss from each Planets...

3.) How do you trade?

Mastery rank 2 + Dojo + something to trade/sell...

4.) What is Affinity?

Exp.

Used for melee weapons, that give combos and give more slot for your build.

Look mostly, and stats...

With Platinium most of time.

A mission type to get the reward from the faction.

9.) Who is Ordus?

You're "Angel" 

10.) What is the dojo?

The place where everyone in the clan can meet/trade...

Depend wich one you have equiped...

And of course, welcome to Warframe !

Edited by Eleodon

9 minutes ago, KoolGuyDags said:

I hope the devs add better tips for new players, 80% of the things I know so far I had to google or youtube it which is pretty bad honestly and I still don't even know the whole game yet. For example:

3.) How do you trade?

4.) What is Affinity?

9.) Who is Ordus?

10.) What is the dojo?

etc. (I probably will have more as I continue playing but this is what I don't know so far).

New Player experience could definitely use some work.

1. Totally up to you. Playing online will certainly make missions easier.

2. Generally you get new warframes by buying the blueprint from the market and killing a certain boss a few times to get the blueprints for the parts of the warframe.

3. I think you have to be Mastery Rank 2 to be able to trade. You can go to Maroo's Bazaar to trade or be invited to a dojo with a trading station.

4. Affinity is basically XP.

5. Stances give you different attacks for melee weapons.

6. Primes are stronger versions of normal weapons/frames.

7. Depends on what you want to customize. For colors you would have to buy color palettes. There is also armors and syandanas.

8. One faction is trying to invade the node or repel another faction. By choosing sides you can help influence which side will take over that node and receive a reward for helping them.

9. Basically he runs the ship. If you want to find out more start scanning cephalon fragments.

10. This is the base for a clan. Clans can have massive dojos because you can constantly add on to them.

11. Depends on which companion you have. You probably started with dethcube, shade, wyrm, or carrier. Each has different functions that are unique to them. You should have received mods that are specific to them that will help explain what they do.

53 minutes ago, KoolGuyDags said:

I hope the devs add better tips for new players, 80% of the things I know so far I had to google or youtube it which is pretty bad honestly and I still don't even know the whole game yet.

I can assure you new player experience is definitely something [DE]Steve has on his brain currently. He has recently started doing Twitch streams and it is something that he consistently brings up as being on his list.

On to your questions.

Completely up to the player. If you think you're doing okay on your own and having fun as such, have at it. If you're struggling with a level or decide you want some company, flip Solo to Public and give it a try. XP (Called affinity) is shared between players within 50 meters so competition between players for kills is not typically an issue, but some players like to rush to the end of missions, while some like to collect resources. This is something to be aware of if playing with others as it depends on what each players individual goals are while playing the mission.

Depends on the frame. Some are by collecting parts from killing bosses, some are gotten from quests that you get as you progress through the game, some parts are junction rewards that are received when you complete the junction and move onto the next planet. 

3.) How do you trade?

Once you hit rank 2 by leveling up weapons and warframe to 30 and then completing your mastery rank test, you'll be able to trade with others. If you are part of a clan, you can visit your trading kiosk that you build to trade or head over to Maroo's bizarre on earth as it functions as a public trading kiosk.

4.) What is Affinity?

Affinity is the in game equivalent to experience (Exp.). You gain it from killing enemies, using abilities and the typical things you'd expect.

Stance mods are special mods that are placed on your melee weapon to unlock a series of combo moves when you've equipped your melee weapon in the game (Holding it in your hands, rather than just having it on you).

Prime warframe typically have higher stats, and usually an additional mod slot with a symbol on it, which reduces the cost of mods that match that symbol when placed on it.

If you're speaking about Warframe accessories (Skins, syandanas aka scarfs, etc) most cosmetics are bought using platinum, which is the currency that costs real money. Platinum can be traded for from other players. The typical rule of thumb for accessories is that they are bought with platinum. Every so often something will be released for free, but as warframe and weapons can all be gotten through free means, cosmetics remain purchase only.

Faction wars are special nodes that pop up where two main factions will clash together (Corpus vs Grineer, or Corpus/Grineer vs Infested) and both faction enemies will be present on the mission actively fighting each other. You can choose to side with either faction (Except the infested) and beating the mission 3 times for one faction will result in a reward of some kind. If you do 3 missions fighting for the corpus, but then do that exact same mission again for the grineer, you will lose 1 from the corpus side so you do have to choose your side. 

As there are several missions involved in each war, you are free to choose which side you wish to fight for on each node involved. You can get a reward from the corpus on one node, and then do another for the grineer and retain both rewards. It just can't be on the same mission.

9.) Who is Ordus?

Ordis is a cephalon, a sort of AI that was constructed by the Orokin (A previous civilization that you will learn more about in time). He is tasked with the health and safety of the player (In terms of story) and is part of your ship. If you buy scanners from the market (For credits) and scan "Cephalon fragments" that are sometimes found in the missions, you may find a way to learn more about Ordis.

10.) What is the dojo?

The dojo is the home base of Clans, which are like guilds or groupings of players under one banner. It can be decorated and customized to their liking and is the place clan members can congregate.

Sentinels act like mobile turrets, sticking by you and shooting enemies while activating their own unique abilities depending on which sentinel you carry with you.
Kubrow are dog like animals that run around and attack enemies, most are offensive focused and deal higher amounts of damage.
Kavats are cat like animals that also run around, but tend to be more utility focused and thus, don't do as much physical damage but may distract or disrupt enemies.