Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it just me or does the stealth multiplier not work anymore?

Gabbynaru

Question

Hey!

So, I was leveling up my doggy/kitty today, in my usual spot (Oceanum, Pluto), with a Loki Prime (with Hushed Invisibility) and Hek (with Silent Battery, not Vaykor, and without the Steel Meridian mod). I kept shooting enemies to hopefully get some more extra XP, and after a while noticed that, at most, the stealth multiplier was just 100%. Also, no, there was no alarm active, and my doggy/cat were  way behind and invisible as well (and hopefully not attacking stuff, considering I didn't equip mods on them).

Is the revamped reaction thing they did with the new update screwing with shotgun shells, or are my pets acting stupid? I should note, I kept seeing 2-3 pet identifying icons for most of the mission, every mission.

Thank you!

9 answers to this question

While enemies no longer have a shared hive-mind that allows them to know 100% of the time where you are without visual or audible confirmation, there are some things that will alert them that formerly didn't.

Projectiles/hitscan weapons impacting the ground near them is one of those. Even if the gun is silent, the impact may not be. You can see this by equipping a hushed grenade launcher, and firing somewhere close to them, in their field of view. The enemy will look at where the projectile bounces, look around, then go into patrol mode until they, or someone nearby, spots you.

What I assume you experienced was not having all of the shotty's pellets impact the target, and a stray bullet flew past the enemy in question. If you hit the target with all of the projectiles and kill it, the others should not be alerted unless they can see the target dying. At which point they will become alerted to danger, but not alerted to your presence just yet. Oh, and punch-through might cause the pellets to alert enemies as well, as they're bound to impact something else, be it the surroundings or another enemy.

There is still a lot of testing to be done to fully understand how the AI works, but you can basically guide the AI by firing a projectile from cover, then run somewhere else and see how they go to check out that spot you were in, rather than running straight towards you (to the point where enemies will use their special ability upon reaching the spot, to try and knock you out of stealth (Grineer Ground Slams will happen). Last Known Location, ala Splinter Cell comes to mind.

I think the stealth bonus is taken away if the enemies are aware of your presence.

Awareness is raised if a loud weapon is fired or if a fellow enemy dies within another enemy's field of view.

You'll have to either switch tilesets (rooms) or find another mob several meters away from the one that's aware of you.

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

12 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

with a Loki Prime (with Hushed Invisibility) and Hek (with Silent Battery

You don't need both, hushed invis or the mod would be enough either way, I'd hate to think that silencing a weapon with a mod while all weapons are silent due to an augment somehow reverses the sound. I doubt that is the problem though.

Two possibilities spring to mind (that aren't bugs), first someone sees something you killed and is alerted (low alert, but enough), or they just spawned and I think there was an update that makes freshly spawned enemies react as alert if killed within a specific time frame.  

The second is the least likely but possible, the first is the most likely.  As for bug possibilities sometimes I feel like even though a group of enemies all die at roughly the same time, there is a nanosecond of sudden awareness that ruins stealth kills.

Gone are the days where we could slide attack kill hordes with none the wiser it seems, any little misstep and it ruins the whole thing.  Shotguns are probably the trickiest weapons of all to get stealth kills due to multiple pellet shots.  I'd imagine anyway.

Maintaining a balance between allowing easy stealth farming (which they have time and again hotfixed ways to prevent it) and keeping the AI from ruining a perfectly good stealth kill is a tricky business.  I don' think they've found the sweet spot yet.

In your case it's most likely enemies are alerted by the enemy you killed. If an enemy is dead, then nearby enemies will be alerted. You can check if the enemies is alerted by minimap, the red arrow icon will have a dot in the center while not fully red if alerted.

The best way to stealth farm is use ivara with prowl and sleep arrow, put the one and nearby enemies to sleep before killing.

35 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

You don't need both, hushed invis or the mod would be enough either way, I'd hate to think that silencing a weapon with a mod while all weapons are silent due to an augment somehow reverses the sound. I doubt that is the problem though.

Oh, no, I know just Hushed Invisibility is enough. Thing is, I use the silenced Hek for ranking any non-stealth warframe, since it's incredibly good at one-shoting stuff on Oceanum, but since I currently have no other non-syndicate weapon to stealth with (besides 2 bows and an Opticor, all of which have a slower fire rate than the Hek), I decided to use the Hek, and I am too lazy to modify a working build just for a minor difference.

Also, yeah, fully aware of both those instances of enemy awareness, so, my stealth play style has been modified a long time ago to account for that. So, maybe it's just pellets hitting somewhere nearby a nanosecond earlier than the enemy is hit that gives me that problem. ...Guess it's time to adapt my play style again.

Thank you for your answers, everyone!