Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Beginner Frame (After the First 3)

NewAgeDoom

Question

Just now, SurrealEdge said:

Rhino is the easiest to obtain early, since Venus junction is easy to complete.

That's just coming from someone that started over on PS4 recently, just to see how different the game is after these changes.

I have all the blueprints for both Frost, and Rhino (Just unlocked the Phobos Junction, so I've got a DECENT start, but I'm milling around what frames I want to use).

Also, how often do platinum sales happen on PC? It felt like they were few and far between on PS4.

One of my first few Warframes post-starter was Rhino, since as @SurrealEdge pointed out, you can get him early. I also tagged along with some friends on Infested invasions and was able to get Nyx after killing Phorid a few times. Rhino was good for "baby's first tank", but Nyx really helped me to understand how to prioritize between CC and cast moves, and with Nyx having more basic stats instead of having to rely on Rhino's armor, I felt that using her helped me prepare myself for more Warframes down the road.

Edited by Telluric

Just now, Telluric said:

One of my first few Warframes post-starter was Rhino, since as @SurrealEdge pointed out, you can get him early. I also tagged along with some friends on Infested invasions and was able to get Nyx after killing Phorid a few times. Rhino was good for "baby's first tank", but Nyx really helped me to understand how to prioritize CC and cast moves, and with Nyx having basic stats instead of having to rely on Rhino's armor, I felt that using her helped me prepare myself for more Warframes down the road.

I'll keep that in mind. I also did recently join a clan who were nice enough to let me tag along to farm for Nekros, another one of my favorites on Playstation. Definitely going to be investing in him.

1 minute ago, NewAgeDoom said:

I have all the blueprints for both Frost, and Rhino (Just unlocked the Phobos Junction, so I've got a DECENT start, but I'm milling around what frames I want to use).

Also, how often do platinum sales happen on PC? It felt like they were few and far between on PS4.

Go for the frames with resources you can access honestly. I only got Rhino on PS4, since I've been running solo most times with a few random PUGs.

In my case, since I haven't used any of the plat discounts in about  6 months, somewhat common with 20% and 50% being the most common. Otherwise, it's a dry spell if you want to wait for the discount.

Just now, SurrealEdge said:

Go for the frames with resources you can access honestly. I only got Rhino on PS4, since I've been running solo most times with a few random PUGs.

In my case, since I haven't used any of the plat discounts in about  6 months, somewhat common with 20% and 50% being the most common. Otherwise, it's a dry spell if you want to wait for the discount.

I mean like Platinum sales on Steam.

Id say Frost or Rhino for certain. Both frames can help you defend yourself properly enough to grasp more of the game while both are also not to hard to come by in terms of how far it takes to obtain them. Pretty much starts you off into your first specific defense frame.

1 minute ago, schilds said:

Frost. As you progress through the starmap you can't always rely on finding a group. Frost will help with defence and excavation missions.

I did notice he got a new skin lately. For the sword skin, is that all sword items, or just specific ones?

What a coincidence, I started a PC account just awhile back myself after playing PS4 warframe for nearly two years now.  I'm only mid way into Mars myself but man is the new player experience rougher than I remember.

I guess I just got used to playing with access to even the ability to farm all the resources I need for too long, now its driving me insane that I'm having to make difficult choices because I don't have enough CREDITS, let alone the standard resources.  (I can't even farm nanospores yet for RNGesus' sake) Plus everything was shiny and new so I didn't really see it as farming, I was merely progressing, now all I can really see is all the stuff I don't currently have that I now know is ridiculously handy.

But yeah I recommend maybe building Rhino first and leveling him, and then phasing him out in favor of frost as you get the resources, frost is just more generally useful to the team even with minimal modding and is a hek of a lot more useful in the eventual solo defense you're going to be forced to do to progress.  If you have the slots then try to build both, again starting with rhino and level both, if you used your starter plat on only warframe slots you should have the room.

EDIT: If you're buying I recommend frost instead simply because of how handy he is.

Edited by (PS4)gamerpie12

Rhino. he takes little effort to get, but I promise you, as a Rhino main with so many hours clocked I don't know the number, only that it's high, he will get you through the ENTIRE starchart, including the Void and the later Lua and Kuva Fortress Tilesets once you unlock those. as long as you keep Iron Skin up, you can easily take regular mobs. shame his Prime's vaulted now though.

59 minutes ago, NewAgeDoom said:

Very rarely. The last one I know of was summer'ish.

You get a chance to unlock a 24 hour discount with the daily log in reward that can be anything from 20% - 50% - 75% off but the 75% off is incredibly rare to the point where some of us have never seen it.

Edited by Ailissa

Rhino and Frost are easy to obtain and mod.  They do really well right out of the box without corrupted mods or forma.

Rhino's Iron Skin lets a noob player clear  higher level content they wouldn't survive otherwise.

Frost is the most necessary frame in the game.  Everyone needs a Frost sometimes.  He lets the noob player solo excavations and defenses that would otherwise be impossible.  He also lets you contribute to a team of experienced players in ways other frames can't without better mods.

21 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ThermalStone said:

Frost is the most necessary frame in the game.  Everyone needs a Frost sometimes.  He lets the noob player solo excavations and defenses that would otherwise be impossible.  He also lets you contribute to a team of experienced players in ways other frames can't without better mods.

I wouldn't say necessary, I honestly can't remember the last time I used my Frost. But he is on my list of frames to go back to and try out when I've finally got all his augments.

These days I find myself using a Firequake Ember for virtually all regular starchart content, I can almost completely ignore all enemies and just focus on the objective, finding medallions or whatever. For tougher content my Chaos Sphere / Assimilate Nyx is virtually unkillable.

But back on topic, both Rhino and Frost are very solid frames that are simple to play for early to mid game and still perform well beyond that.

3 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

I wouldn't say necessary, I honestly can't remember the last time I used my Frost. But he is on my list of frames to go back to and try out when I've finally got all his augments.

These days I find myself using a Firequake Ember for virtually all regular starchart content, I can almost completely ignore all enemies and just focus on the objective, finding medallions or whatever. For tougher content my Chaos Sphere / Assimilate Nyx is virtually unkillable.

But back on topic, both Rhino and Frost are very solid frames that are simple to play for early to mid game and still perform well beyond that.

How do you excavate on sorties?  Nyx?  Someone else's Frost?

Ember Prime recently became my most used frame.  We have to replay so much low and mid level content and she's really efficient at it.  She's not as easy for a new player to mod up as Rhino or Frost would be though.

As an old player, I have to say personally I use my frost prime like no other when it comes to certain missions, Rhino for others like assassinations and other things, maybe survivals. anyway, the normal frames are 100% worthwhile to get and I'd have to say most missions can be done both with party and solo with those frames. but last but not least always try to find frames that fit your playstyle. a frost in some may not always be the best in others, same for any other frame.

Rhino. at the top for the beginning!! iron skin for the beginning is the easiest way to hold your health up. while with frost you need to know how to play him for the first. he is good at a team to protect but for solo players best way at the beginning is like mentioned RHINO!

Edited by (PS4)NoVa_Erk

On 23 January 2017 at 10:56 PM, SurrealEdge said:

Oh those never happen.

To elaborate, DE is the one that has any hand in sales, including the packs on steam. Otherwise, there isn't a steam sale.

Not quite true. Steam's xmas sale included plat packs. 

As for frames, try Ember. With the right forma placement and weapon loadout, you could pretty much ace any map. WoF with augment is awesome. Ditto with Saryn (even after the nerfs).