The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnum Force accuracy reduction.

SagaraShinji

I am disappointed. I was using it for the first time on my Sonicor and I noticed that it lowers more than 33% at max rank. Sonicor has 100 accuracy, right? It went down to 20.2, it was like 79.8% accuracy reduction. The wiki notes that too, but why the *censored* is that so? I mean, couldn't it just lowers accuracy in a "true" 33%? Or at least update the description of the mod to actually say 80% or whatever the true reduction percentage is. From my perspective it doesn't make any sense, I may be wrong but in any game that I've played if something says reduction of X%, it actually reduces by an X%, not an Y%, or a Z%, an X%. 

Accuracy is not a linear stat, so it's doesn't decrease or increase in a linear fashion. For example, -% accuracy will affect weapons that have projectiles with travel time more than it will affect hitscan weapons.

Btw, Magnum Force is very very weak, I don't even know why it even exists in the game. Basically, put any damage or elemental mod instead and it will give higher numbers at no accuracy loss.

Edited by -BM-Leonhart

The same effect happens when equipping Heavy Caliber to Javlok, the accuracy decreases from 100 to around 17 I think? It's only an issue with those stranger 100% 'accurate' weapons, all others like the assault rifles and shotguns don't get much of a downgrade.

All in all, don't use Magnum force, it's a trash mod. Your ideal sonicor should be Hornet, Barrel Diff, Lethal Torrent and whatever else you want on it. Magnum Force is useful on pretty much nothing, maybe Pox.

Magnum Force is an older mod back from ye olde times when there were fewer options. It had its uses - for example using it in the Angstrum had a very similar effect to Heavy Caliber on an Ignis, increasing the area of effect.

Nowadays there are far more modding options and the 66% damage + isn't really worth the mod slot. It still works on the Angstrum if you're at the collecting phase and don't have mods, but in general this is one of those collect one and forget about it thereafter items.

It's a bit of a shame, but given the advent of Rivens this mod could do with some kind of rework - although the same could be said of a lot of the older and more niche mods.

The problem with the "-accuracy%" mods is that the accuracy you see in the arsenal is a conglomeration of various stats.
It includes such things as:
-Initial Cone of Fire
-Maximum size of the CoF
-How quickly CoF grows/shrinks
-Initial Shot accuracy
-How quickly shot accuracy deviates
-How quickly accuracy returns
And a few more stats beyond that.
So when magnum force is saying "-X% accuracy" its really meaning "-X% A, -Y% B, -Z% C...." just wrapped up into one number.

The mods that have +/- accuracy can be incredibly misleading due to how they affect different weapons differently.  And how different weapons weight how accuracy affects them.

For instance: The ignis gets a bonus from -accuracy as it widens its cone of fire meaning that it hits a slightly larger (though not by much) area.
Meanwhile as you noticed the Sonicor gets hit very hard by accuracy as it affects the initial shot accuracy quite a bit which screws the weapon over a lot more than -33% would seem to indicate, meanwhile a weapon like the Akstiletto Prime isn't affected nearly as badly as the initial shot accuracy isn't that important since the CoF doesn't get that big so it stays fairly accurate.
And then there are weapons that really aren't affected one way or the other, such as beam weapons or pellet weapons.

Basically DE needs to clarify and lay out accuracy a lot better than they currently do to avoid confusion like this.  And maybe work on making the +/- accuracy mods affect weapons in a more predictable manner.
But it really boils down to DE trying to represent an effect on a large number of different stats that affect different weapons differently with just a single number.

Edited by Tsukinoki

1 hour ago, Tsukinoki said:

[...]the accuracy you see in the arsenal is a conglomeration of various stats.
It includes such things as:
-Initial Cone of Fire
-Maximum size of the CoF
-How quickly CoF grows/shrinks
-Initial Shot accuracy
-How quickly shot accuracy deviates
-How quickly accuracy returns
And a few more stats beyond that.

[...]it really boils down to DE trying to represent an effect on a large number of different stats that affect different weapons differently with just a single number.

Now I understand what Leonhart ment with accuracy not being a linear stat.

And yes, I suppose for developers to clarify this on the game must be a really tedious work.

The calculations can seem a bit wonky due to how accuracy is handled by the game. Like others mentioned, its not a linear stat and I ignore it all together more often then not because the only way to get an accurate idea of a weapons accuracy is by actually using it and seeing how it performs. A numerical representation of accuracy is pretty much a just a bunch of numbers that mean nothing, especially with how WF handles things.

I personally find magnum force/ really only useful for when I actually WANT the loss in accuracy. Like with pox for increasing the area I can cover with toxin clouds. I do a similar thing with my torid.