Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could use some help tuning TAA 8x (Nvidia)

cromignon

Question

I'll start with specs, then launch into questions.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 (MSI-branded 'Seahawk X'; 8GB VRAM)
Intel Core i7 (Skylake) 6700K @ 4.00GHz
16GB DDR4 RAM
Resolution set to 1920x1080

Anyhow, TAA 8x. Every which-a-way I've tried tuning it, it never looks as sharp and crisp as SMAA. Everything at a relatively short distance begins to "lose" resolution, and become ugly and jagged, animated things like turrets and Ayatan sculptures have this weird blur trail, like it's being displayed on a mid-90's laptop screen, and so on. I've tried tuning sharpness way up, I've tried tuning it way down. I've tried middle-up (around 70), and middle-down (20). Nothing fits. I kinda had the same problem with Doom 2016, all the extra multisampling stuff just made things worse, and I wasn't sure what it's purpose was when it was called "Highest setting". 

So what do? Just leave it off? Is it something meant for Comm--, I mean Team Red?

9 answers to this question

I think it's meant like that. We had another TAA filter before, and a SMAA+TAA option. The old SMAA+Temporal gave a crisp picture. The new Temporal AA is, well, not as good for that.

Since you're on Nvidia AND using such a powerful rig: Have you considered turning off AA and running Warframe on DSR at 4K? I can't with my GTX1060 and 3570K (I can use 2880x1620 well enough though), but a GTX1080 and a 6700K? I'd be on it right now lel.

Just make sure to set Warframe x64 on Nvidia CP to run at Max Power :)

Edited by NightmareT12

I have similar issues with TAA in Warframe. Where distant textures just look blurry and It creates these weird refraction against some surfaces.

I believe the TAA in Warframe is their own tweaked version. I recall they purposely added exaggerated motion trails and some other effects.

Either way it looks like trash compared to other games.

Have you got no to limit FPS selected and/or switched off v-sync?

I have a g-sync screen so I never have v-sync on anyways but when we had physics introduced to Frost around the time of TWW there was an issue where unlimited FPS caused cloth physics to go crazy, so I had to switch it to 60 FPS. That was fixed ages ago but I never reverted my settings. Only recently had I switched back to limitless FPS and I noticed an immediate difference with the fuzzy and haziness you got with TAA, especially on ayatan sculptures. It's still there if you really look but it is definitely not as obvious.

Temporal Filtering is strong vs some types of visual issues that more traditional forms are almost completely ineffective at.
but, it's weak at many of the things more traditional forms are strong at.

so this sounds well within expectations.
ergo why SMAA(2x plox? Warframe looks like it uses SMAA 1x) + Temporal Filter + Sharpen Filter is an amazing combination that gives excellent image quality with very low impact.
i imagine we'll be able to mix the two again in the future once issues with it in the past are resolved.

Just now, cromignon said:

I keep forgetting that's a thing. That's like, faking 4K on a 1080p monitor, right?

Yeah. You can turn it on on the Nvidia CP (general tab, not game specific), so you can make the game render at a higher resolution (you need to select it in game in Fullscreen), but it keeps downscaling. Nvidia has some blurring added in so it doesn't look too pixelated, usually at the default 33% or around 25% looks crisp and beautiful.

Right now the UI suffers from it (too tiny) but Pablo posted a Dev Workshop on updating this the other day so I hope the change comes soonTM.

Oof, yeah, tried it just now, and even with Gunnars on I'm getting a stomachache trying to read everything. But hey! Not a jagged line in sight! Do you know how to make it work in Borderless? I tried applying the same DSR to desktop, but if I switch to BF, it defaults to the native max.

Edited by cromignon

On 5/3/2017 at 9:07 PM, cromignon said:

Oof, yeah, tried it just now, and even with Gunnars on I'm getting a stomachache trying to read everything. But hey! Not a jagged line in sight! Do you know how to make it work in Borderless? I tried applying the same DSR to desktop, but if I switch to BF, it defaults to the native max.

Doesn't work on borderless, and when it does the blurr is not applied leaving a super jagged image due all the pixels getting cramped :P (it was so bad on Xenoverse 2 borderless lol)

Edited by NightmareT12