The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Open World Discussion and appreciation

Imagine a world where more than four Tenno step on the land and where you can roam around the land where exploration would be rewarding when farming resources and make quests The Silver Grove more viable. Where you can be really a "Hunter" by the words of cephalon Simaris.

This is not just a thread discussing the possibilities of whether an open world could be viable etc but also what an open world could bring

As far as I know, DE has pointed their interest in an open world, if anyone can give me the sources to add to the thread than that would be cool. 

Back to the topic at hand, I do believe that an open world on warframe scale would be an amazing universe to live in, however I can only imagine how big a map would be for it not to become boring after a few exploration, because that's mostly the problem with open worlds, once you visit it once, twice and a third time you just happen to know where EVERYTHING is. The random map generator that warframe has is what makes it kind of unique.

Take a normal earth mission for example, the scene changes on almost every mission.
Take LoR Raid now, the very first part and the second one are the same old runs every time, you know the pathway that enemies take, you know the objective by heart and there's no entertainment to it, it's just become a task to go through that map.

Edited by (PS4)XxDarkyanxX

Two things I will never understand, people's fixation with the Megathread tag, and why DE doesn't make it so only authorized people can use it.

On topic, again this is one of those cases where people wish for Warframe to be more like w/e other favortie games they have, when WF has an identity of it's own. Implementing stuff from elsewhere, specially stuff thats distanced from our core concept, will only lead to unhappyness and mountains of salt.

For this particular one  I highly doubt we have the power to handle that scenario. I remember how the game used to have only small closed tilesets due to technical restrictions - while they have increased tile and general map sizes, we still seem to lack in that department.

My personal opinion, it's not needed nor wanted. If I wanted an open world I'd be in another game.

19 minutes ago, ArchPhaeton said:

Two things I will never understand, people's fixation with the Megathread tag, and why DE doesn't make it so only authorized people can use it.

On topic, again this is one of those cases where people wish for Warframe to be more like w/e other favortie games they have, when WF has an identity of it's own. Implementing stuff from elsewhere, specially stuff thats distanced from our core concept, will only lead to unhappyness and mountains of salt.

For this particular one  I highly doubt we have the power to handle that scenario. I remember how the game used to have only small closed tilesets due to technical restrictions - while they have increased tile and general map sizes, we still seem to lack in that department.

My personal opinion, it's not needed nor wanted. If I wanted an open world I'd be in another game.

I highly disagree with the want part. 

34 minutes ago, ArchPhaeton said:

They can't, not unless they want to prevent everyone even mods from using it. 

I don't think the gameplay is well suited to an open world. This is a "short mission" type of game where you go from insertion to extraction as fast as possible using ninja mobility skills. The fact the game basically cobbles together maps by connecting pre-built rooms into a succession of parkour-enabled tilesets also works on it's advantage, since it preserves the illusion of playing new maps even though you keep seeing the same prebuilt rooms.

Open world are basically the opposite, huge spaces you traverse somewhat slow and can take your time to explore. Open world tend to have static, non randomised structures. Open world tend to have landmarks with alot of filler space in between landmarks. Lastly, open world are usually open by nature (you need to be able to see from afar and plan the route to getting where you need to go) , leaving you little room for parkour, side paths and other similar things. Unless DE can create an open world that's filled with parkour opportunity, it'll be just be a bunch of tennos bullet jumping all over big spaces trying to get to the landmarks where they can do some actual mission stuff / do some real parkour.

Also, honestly, quite a few of the maps currenty in warframe are kinda filled with map holes , stuck spots and other similar bugs the minute you drift off the main path... So i can only imagine the phenomenal amount of bugs that a fully open world game with parkour would have.... It's one thing making an open world where a guy walks slowly on the ground, but an open world with the mobility afforded by warframe..

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

I find the level design just bland and boring. I just wish the levels were much bigger giving you far more options to get to an objective. atm 80% of the game is running around through small, linear boring levels. The pathetic excuse of using different planets as well. The levels dont change much planet to planet.