Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions regarding macros.

(PSN)veronas_ghost

Question

I have a question tenno, i have seen post regarding macros in the past. most of them came to the conclusion they were fine so long as it did not give you an edge above others. however here is my question, what about macros developed / designed to help aid convenience, are they accepted? are they a bannable offense? im not to familiar with macros so i don't even know if my examples will be possible but i figured id ask anyway.

for example with the addition of banshee prime (whom is fantastic thanks DE) i was thinking about silence and sonar. they are not recastable sure makes sense i get it. here is where the macro comes in would it be possible / accepted to create a macro that checks to see if those abilities are running if the answer is yes it checks again in a second or two, however if the answer is no though the ability would be recast automatically so long as you have the energy required. is that possible? also would that be acceptable or would it be potentially a bannable offense? it really only functions as a boost to convenience and does not give an edge to the player/user nor does it exploit anything, it simply automates the casting process.

example number 2 is for melee. most people tire of hitting buttons over and over for each melee attack however some bypass this function by mapping quick mellee to mouse scroll wheel. could instead a macro be created so that bu holding down your melee button while it is equipped it would attack automatically depending on your melle speed stats whithen reason (like 1 hit a second the default generally) but simply attacking via holding down a button.again would that A: be possible? and B: be acceptable or bannible? 

i do not condone hacking in video games so please do not misunderstand me. im simply asking in regards to the simple convenience factor. lets assume this hypothetical is set up on the PC version of warframe since generally consoles discourage macros and its significantly more difficult to apply to those systems. however if it is accepted on pc would it not be fine on console? lets talk, i look forward to your responses. 

15 answers to this question

i personally have a slide attack macro that i use since i get very sharp pain in my hand if i slide attack alot (tellos boltace or any weapon with maiming strike). From DEs post i know this is an acceptable use since to actually preform the slide attack i have to still move around. if i were to press the button without pressing a movment key my warframe just crouches and melees. id say this could be considered a white area macro. it automates a certain key combination but still requires the player to give the most input. ie, walking/running and aiming.

what falls into the grey area, as i understand, would be if i were to change my macro to also include walking. that is to say that by pressing a button my character moves forward, crouches, and attacks. doing the entire slide attack without any input other than a button press on my part. in this instance all id be doing is aiming and everything else is automated.

a black area macro as i understand it would be a macro designed to completely automate game play, such as tapping a button to toggle your character constantly looking to the left and holding the attack button. this could be used with say, an ignis or phage, to constantly attack the area around your self with you doing nothing but watching the game.

bottom line is, if you have doubts about weather a macro is legal or not it probably isnt. your safest bet is to only use macros for basic combinations like i have, something that DE might add in the future as a bindable button like slide attacks or bullet jumps.

I wouldn't see a any problem with using macro keys. quite a few times i have thought about adding them.

a good example of an acceptable macro (my opinion) is Telos boltace slide attack; as using default key binding of control and E can strain your fingers, but binding both actions to 1 key would be OK. Just don't make macros that can essentially play the game for you. 

23 minutes ago, GOEATSOMEFUSHM8 said:

an acceptable macro (my opinion) is Telos boltace slide attack

Not totally sure about that. Generally 99% of games does not accept macros of any kind, but i'm not totally sure about Warframe.

imoh that macro is bannable with no problem.

46 minutes ago, (PS4)veronas_ghost said:

I have a question tenno, i have seen post regarding macros in the past. most of them came to the conclusion they were fine so long as it did not give you an edge above others. however here is my question, what about macros developed / designed to help aid convenience, are they accepted? are they a bannable offense? im not to familiar with macros so i don't even know if my examples will be possible but i figured id ask anyway.

for example with the addition of banshee prime (whom is fantastic thanks DE) i was thinking about silence and sonar. they are not recastable sure makes sense i get it. here is where the macro comes in would it be possible / accepted to create a macro that checks to see if those abilities are running if the answer is yes it checks again in a second or two, however if the answer is no though the ability would be recast automatically so long as you have the energy required. is that possible? also would that be acceptable or would it be potentially a bannable offense? it really only functions as a boost to convenience and does not give an edge to the player/user nor does it exploit anything, it simply automates the casting process.

example number 2 is for melee. most people tire of hitting buttons over and over for each melee attack however some bypass this function by mapping quick mellee to mouse scroll wheel. could instead a macro be created so that bu holding down your melee button while it is equipped it would attack automatically depending on your melle speed stats whithen reason (like 1 hit a second the default generally) but simply attacking via holding down a button.again would that A: be possible? and B: be acceptable or bannible? 

i do not condone hacking in video games so please do not misunderstand me. im simply asking in regards to the simple convenience factor. lets assume this hypothetical is set up on the PC version of warframe since generally consoles discourage macros and its significantly more difficult to apply to those systems. however if it is accepted on pc would it not be fine on console? lets talk, i look forward to your responses. 

DE created a thread on this:

This part is relevant:

Because of this there are other factors involved in receive a ban due to the use of AutoHotKey.exe, including a review of multiple stats on the account in question.

DE_Steve gave a little more insight into how Warframe works in his Sunday stream either last week, or a couple weeks back. DE use statistical analysis (in conjunction with other methods) to determine if what you are doing is legit or not.

If you only want some convenience of not hitting a button or two, you probably wont show up. But if you plan to exploit the macro (like some have been doing with melee), you are likely to show up when your stats are...audited (lets say).

I only have a little background in statistical work, but if their data collection is good (which it should be) they can have a very good indication of what you are doing with your macro, and they should be able to tell roughly when you started using it too.

With that being said, not sure why you'd want a macro on Banshee. All Banshee's powers lock her in place for a casting duration. Not sure why you'd want to open up a squishy frame to something that will automatically stop you as you move about?

26 minutes ago, Kyryo said:

Not totally sure about that. Generally 99% of games does not accept macros of any kind, but i'm not totally sure about Warframe.

imoh that macro is bannable with no problem.

A macro that does all of two things that would still be capped by melee speed. now imagine a macro that does mesa's 3 & 4 abilities, auto fires and spins around for you. so in comparison the Boltace one is simple and not a problem

19 minutes ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

--snip--

Very nicely explained with very clear, specific, and relevant answers. Please everyone refer to this guy's post, he/she understands it. In fact, can we please make a "forum macro" so that if anyone else tries to make any more threads about macros they are instead just shown this post right here? Seriously we haven't gone more than a week without a new macro thread.

2 minutes ago, Xaranoth said:

Very nicely explained with very clear, specific, and relevant answers. Please everyone refer to this guy's post, he/she understands it. In fact, can we please make a "forum macro" so that if anyone else tries to make any more threads about macros they are instead just shown this post right here? Seriously we haven't gone more than a week without a new macro thread.

i could if i wanted to. it would take me an hour or so to actually make it a macro but i could set up a single button to write that whole post again ;D

8 minutes ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

i could if i wanted to. it would take me an hour or so to actually make it a macro but i could set up a single button to write that whole post again ;D

O.o It would take you an hour to write a macro to repost that?

It might take me 15 minutes to make one to scan the top posts to look for the word macro and automatically post to it.

5 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

O.o It would take you an hour to write a macro to repost that?

It might take me 15 minutes to make one to scan the top posts to look for the word macro and automatically post to it.

thats a bot, not a macro.i use razer synapse for my macros. its an amazing program for razer mice and keyboards but only works with them and is amazing for basic macros but not for large scale macros. you have to manually enter each keypress

Edited by --Laughing-Soul--

5 minutes ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

thats a bot, not a macro.i use razer synapse for my macros. its an amazing program for razer mice and keyboards but only works with them and is amazing for basic macros but not for large scale macros. you have to manually enter each keypress

Both would use BASIC and the difference between a bot and an automated macro is zero.

They are just cycling a command, only one just has an additional trigger to do a second or more reaction.

i would say no. since that isnt just a "press these 3 keys" macro and its actually checking the game for data to preform a function.

Id bet you would get banned pretty fast for it, and i doubt they would even let you start the game with something like that running.

6 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

i would say no. since that isnt just a "press these 3 keys" macro and its actually checking the game for data to preform a function.

Id bet you would get banned pretty fast for it, and i doubt they would even let you start the game with something like that running.

Actually most don't look for data directly from the game, some do use injected .dll files which unlock hidden developer tools that display hit boxes which the bots then look for... But I'm going to stay that vague since most are thankfully ignorant.

thanks everyone for the answers. lol im sorry i did not know this was the second macro post in a week, its cool to see such well informed, thought out, and kind responses. i was definitely not expecting that. this is just one of the many reasons why i love warframe and the community as a whole, its pretty darn great. thank you all and good luck farming and have fun to all.