Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hush, Suppress, Silent Battery mods.

Echorion

Maybe adding silenced weapon effects to every weapon is too much work; I get that. However it wouldn't be nearly as difficult to add in sound reduction on the weapon sounds they already use. 

I mean if you put hush on your rifle, it should reduce the volume of the firing, or shift the pitch so that it sounds somewhat like a silenced weapon would sound like. 

If you wanted to take it a step further the level it's volume changes could scale like 20 - 30- 60% or w/e ratios you feel are fitting; to match the level of the mod in terms of sound reduction.

It just doesn't make much sense that this weapon I supposedly silenced; I am still running around with going "KER-BLOW! KER-BLOW!" and no one hears a thing. 

You first say that maybe it is too much work to add silenced effects to weapons.

You go on to say that they should add silenced effects. Also having multiple sound effects for different levels of the mod.

It is nearly the same amount of work.

I'd prefer they develop a more in-depth noise system before even bothering with changing how mods affect sound.  Though I suppose it would be done simultaneously, so long as they don't just go "60% reduction of volume when mod is equipped" and be done.

I mean, my dart shooting acrid has the same level of sound as my tonkor?  Really?

Edited by Xekrin

20 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

You first say that maybe it is too much work to add silenced effects to weapons.

You go on to say that they should add silenced effects. Also having multiple sound effects for different levels of the mod.

It is nearly the same amount of work.

No it's not. I've done it before on my own projects. It's much easier to use values and assets in game, or modify them- then creating and adding entirely new assets en masse for as much things as warframe has. We are not talking about just adding a ton of new sounds, so much as allowing the game to detect the mod is installed and then just turning it's volume down by a percentage; or changing it's pitch by a percentage if they wanted to put more work into it.

I won't comment on how much work either method would be though, I don't know about DE's engine or anything like that; but the point is something should be done to improve the affect these mods have on the actual sound in game.

16 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

I'd prefer they develop a more in-depth noise system before even bothering with changing how mods affect sound.  Though I suppose it would be done simultaneously, so long as they don't just go "60% reduction of volume when mod is equipped" and be done.

I mean, my dart shooting acrid has the same level of sound as my tonkor?  Really?

Yeah I agree; that is basically what I am asking except I am saying even just a flat sound reduction when you have the mod equipped is better than nothing at all.

Your comment at the end though, the game is already like that. If I fire the Zarr atm it's as alarming as my near silent Tysis. Then you add a Silent Battery mod to a shot gun and you are going off firing it, as loud as it is; and no one can hear that? If you have a silencer mod on it though yeah it should have it's sound reduced compared to a weapon that doesn't have one, even if that weapon is normally louder.

Edited by Echorion

Just now, Echorion said:

No it's not. I've done it before on my own projects. It's much easier to use values and assets in game, or modify them- then creating and adding entirely new assets en masse for as much things as warframe has. We are not talking about just adding a ton of new sounds, so much as allowing the game to detect the mod is installed and then just turning it's volume down by a percentage; or changing it's pitch by a percentage if they wanted to put more work into it.

It's still making something that currently does not exist. Entirely new assets would probably be easier than creating a system that dynamically alters the sound based on the mod that is equipped and the level of the mod.

This isn't just going to the mixer and dropping the volume.

3 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

It's still making something that currently does not exist. Entirely new assets would probably be easier than creating a system that dynamically alters the sound based on the mod that is equipped and the level of the mod.

This isn't just going to the mixer and dropping the volume.

Generally it's easier to put a system in place that takes more time, than do something over and over and over again for every asset in game and any similar asset to come. That could also not be the case in DE's engine, I am assuming it would be though.

If you want to debate with assumptions for some reason. we can do that sure. That is still going off topic as to what the problem is and the fact it should be looked into one way or another.

Sound mods don't affect the sound in any way whatsoever in game right now. That does not make a whole lot of sense. Something should probably be considered for improving that aspect sometime in the future. It doesn't even have to be, nor am I even expecting it to be in the way I mentioned; DE could have their own unique way of handling it.

The point is bringing up what the issue actually is in hopes that something as opposed to nothing at all is done.

Yeah...That is something that should be done along with whole "noise level" system rework.  With proper noise distances for every weapon and such.    No weapon should be ABSOLUTELY silent.  

Also, warframes should produce different amount of noises when running too.  Not drastic...But Rhino should alert enemies if sprinting or heavy landing behind them. 

Edited by Kainosh
eh...