The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Javlok's Main-fire self-damage intended or bug?

aligatorno

I decided to make things a little bit random today so I randomized my loadout, the primary that was picked was Javlok.  I said ok, I`ll give it a try. [ As a disclaimer, I find this weapon to be the worst weapon that i`ve tried in the game so far, a complete dogsh...]

I was fighting the infested and and I observed that I had a corrosive proc on me, which got me really confused for a few seconds since it had never happened. Then , right after I fired the weapon again at close range, the proc updated and damage was taken. 

I don't remember ever seeing in a patch note that self damage was also added on the main fire, only about the little AOE on the enemies. Is the ability to damage the frame as well intended  or it's just a bug that they haven't sorted out yet? 

No offence to the people who love this weapon, it was beyond awful ,for me, when I was stuck with a mediocre main fire and useless yet suicidal alt fire. Now, it's even worse sine you can't use it in close quarters . Well, at least we got Ferrox, not this is a fun weapon. 

Edited by aligatorno

1 minute ago, Ragingwasabi said:

well what did u expect when u detonated a bomb in ur face?

Try not to use too much logic here.

Otherwise friendly fire should apply everywhere. What did you expect from slide attacking with a giant hammer next to a friend without any regard for their position?

9 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

Try not to use too much logic here.

Otherwise friendly fire should apply everywhere. What did you expect from slide attacking with a giant hammer next to a friend without any regard for their position?

were talking about self damage, not friendly fire. all explosives weapons in this game except for the tonkor (apparently they wanted a weapon for rocketjumping..) causes self damage. for balancing sake, i think self damage should be placed on all explosives. other wise theres no real reason to use non explosive/aoe weapons. they need their strengths/weakness and sometimes following logic can balance pretty well

Edited by Ragingwasabi

2 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

At least maybe it can be used to proc fire for Embers passive since at least in your case it didn't seem to kill you.

I do just that. I have modded it with Vile Acceleration and Continuous Misery which gives me a very low damage blast with 12 seconds of energy regen plus the increased power strength. 

10 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

At least maybe it can be used to proc fire for Embers passive since at least in your case it didn't seem to kill you.

The damage is not significant enough to kill you at max health, but it can take a decent chunk out of it if the frame is not tanky. 

I completely forgot about Ember's passive tho, I guess it still has a use then. 

Edited by aligatorno

10 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

The damage is not significant enough to kill you at max health, but it can take a decent chunk out of it if the frame is not tanky. 

depends on how you have your javlok moded...Ive got mine modded for gas + high crit dmg at 50% crit...lets just say if im not careful i oneshot myself...because at minimum im doing ~2500 and with a 4.4x crit dmg....it hurts..a lot....i really think the javlok's self damage should only do a max of 100-150 damage, because its not fun when either an npc or a player gets in your way right as it fires and boom, you go straight to revive screen lol

14 minutes ago, Ragingwasabi said:

were talking about self damage, not friendly fire. all explosives weapons in this game except for the tonkor (apparently they wanted a weapon for rocketjumping..) causes self damage. for balancing sake, i think self damage should be placed on all explosives. other wise theres no real reason to use non explosive/aoe weapons. they need their strengths/weakness and sometimes following logic can balance pretty well

The Tonkor does deal self damage. Just a very very negligable amount.

Though I can't verify this (as I don't have time to test it), some explosive weapons are listed as dealing 30% self damage on their wiki (don't remember the exact one but it may be the Ogris)

I would agree on the self damage as a downside prospect if it weren't for 2 things.

1. Elemental/Physical damage on its own doesn't scale well. You'd expect firing an explosion on the enemies would scale much better if it can kill you in the process.

2. Dying in this game even if you have allies to revive you is very annoying and should be avoided. Though after it's buff I would say the Zarr is the best example of how an explosive weapon should be handled (though mainly cause of the non self damage alt fire and good support stats that most others don't have)

But by your argument (or standard) the Zarr's clusters should still deal self damage which would kill it's weapon usage because unless you can negate or somehow limit the self damage it's too great a downside to warrant usage in many situations.