Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Rhino's 'tanking' still fine late game?

mosaickle

Question

Been seeing a ton of people say Rhino's taking is pretty good early to mid game and from there some other people become better tanks later in the game (e.g. Chroma's a popular late game pick), is Rhino still fine late game or does he fall off that hard?

9 answers to this question

I run a build with both Ironclad Charge and Iron Shrapnel that I find pretty effective. I start the mission with a standard Iron Skin cast, then look for a big group of enemies to charge. The Iron Shrapnel augment allows you to detonate and recast your Iron Skin after building a big multiplier with Ironclad Charge. I think the highest multiplier that I've seen over the last few days is about 1050% armour buff.

The other option is to use the Reinforcing Stomp augment, which is surprisingly effective for a Stomp spam build, since every time you Stomp, it will recharge your Iron Skin. Build for range and efficiency and you shouldn't have too many problems.

TL;DR - with the right build, I'd say that Rhino is definitely viable into late game, it just takes a little finesse.

The later you go into late game, the less important tank frames become.  Even in sortie 1, it's more important to crowd control, kill quickly, and avoid being hit than to be able to take a few shots.  

Rhino can be built for Stomp and Roar spamming, giving him some CC and team buffing ability.  He actually works great in the Pacifism Defect if you have a clan mate who lacks Vauban.

It depends what you consider "late game".

lvl 40-100 Rhino is a beastly Tank.

lvl 101-300 Rhino can manage survive well enough.

lvl 500+ There's no such thing as Tank.

Rhino can manage an Avg Iron Skin of 30-40k and he can instantly replenish that amount. He's right there with the other tanks he just requires a bit more maintenance compare to Nidus or Chroma. Chroma is actually not a very reliable tank. He can get one shot due to flaws in his Vex armor and he's highly susceptible to Bleed damage.

• 3 second period where damage to iron skin is turned into additional iron skin health
  • Ironclad charge gives armor that, depending on power str and enemies hit makes sure you last at least that much longer to cast iron skin while boosting iron skin's health

I'd say he should be fine in the right hands