Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Powerspam counterplay choices

----Legacy----

In my opinion, conclave needs some more warframes with the ability to nullify enemy powers, currently the only ways to do it are:

• Energy draining powers: one of the best ways to nullify your enemies from mashing 1234 to win is keeping their energy bars at bay and prevent them from gathering energy enough to make use of it with other powers like
    1. Radial Disarm (costs 100 energy has 10 mts range and has a brief animation lock)
    2. Nova's Null star (costs 25 energy, creates 3 orbs that willengae enemies at 12 mts and drain part of their energy, prevents the caster from picking up orbs while active)
    3. Energy drain augments: Mag with her energy stealing pull and nekros with his energy depleting soul punch. 
    4. Draining Gloom (a mod given by RNGod himself and can be usedonly in a weapon delivered personally by his son RNGesus: Despair, slow throwing knives with a "decent" damage against enemies with their shields down where using the mod will make it create small explosions that deplete energy from anything in it's range, user included, while reducing both, maximum ammo and mag size by up to 60% when maxed)
  • Banshee's silence. a power costing 75 energy will disable any ability in a 30 meters range centered on the caster and moving with user during 30 seconds while also preventing further ability casts in it's duration.
  • Kill the enemy: the most effective way to prevent others from killing you by any possible mean, but it requires skill, which is not easily obtained.

My proposition to add further counterplay against powers is simple, give some more warframes power nullifying mechanics through augments or by simply adding something to their skills; in example my best candidate for it would be Ivara, a warframe whose quiver can set invisibility bubbles, disable enemy shield OR disable their mobility, but still has a 4th unused quiver slot (actually inexistent when compared to pve quiver and to vauban who keeps 4/4 of his minelayer ability) which would perfectly fit for a situational dispell arrow.

I'd like to thank my clanmates for helping with some tests and info required from gear I don't own yet. I'd also like to SevenLetterKWord for providing accurate info about some abilities, and thank beforehand to every player taking their time to read and give their feedback and/or suggestions.

Edited by ----Legacy----

I'd prefer that ability design be fair and consistent rather than obnoxious and inconsistent. Instead of abilities being primarily soft lock/auto lock damage with a chance to just not work based on what your opponent is using, problematic abilities should just be changed, with actual ability nullification kept to a minimum. 

Ability usage in itself is not problematic. What's problematic is how potent they can be in Free for Alls and Team Deathmatches where spawns are random, players are distracted and there's no real way to predict who has how much energy other than to guess/know that player. However, in Free for alls and TDM with randomized spawning and the current system of energy spawns (spawn timer starting based on when energy was picked up rather than spawning at the same time each round), basically everything can be problematic.

1 hour ago, Witchydragon said:

Instead of abilities being primarily soft lock/auto lock damage with a chance to just not work based on what your opponent is using, problematic abilities should just be changed, with actual ability nullification kept to a minimum.

I totally agree with no skill having any kind of soft lock/auto lock (looking mostly at slash dash and it's damage + impair), thing is that currently there's only one warframe with an actual nullification ability (banshee), the rest can only prevent their use by depleting enemy energy bar at the expense of their own, thing that is easily denied by the high energy availability (energy orbs, mod granting +10 energy on respawn, mod adding energy when shields go back to full after being emptied, etc. allow for too many choices to keep using powers with almost no drawback) and this becomes even more obnoxious once energy surge starts since orbs start spawning 2x times faster and grant 2x energy.

Apologies if I'm misreading something, my english is currently limited and I may not understand some sentences regardless of getting the meaning of each word on it.

2 hours ago, Witchydragon said:

Ability usage in itself is not problematic. What's problematic is how potent they can be in Free for Alls and Team Deathmatches where spawns are random, players are distracted and there's no real way to predict who has how much energy other than to guess/know that player. However, in Free for alls and TDM with randomized spawning and the current system of energy spawns (spawn timer starting based on when energy was picked up rather than spawning at the same time each round), basically everything can be problematic.

can't disagree on this point, hopefully DE makes something about it in a close future.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 5:41 AM, (PS4)Xx-Ribbium-xX said:

The most spammed ability is slash dash by far and personally I think de should remove the auto targeting or remove the impair proc or even add a 2 second cool down timer on to it 

Since DE has already started to get rid of auto-targetting abilities in conclave (Shuriken and Psychic Bolts being 2 of the most notable ones) they should do the same with Slash Dash and add some more range to compensate for this loss.

+1 to increase the variety of frames with ability nullification powers

On 1/4/2017 at 0:33 AM, Witchydragon said:

I'd prefer that ability design be fair and consistent rather than obnoxious and inconsistent. Instead of abilities being primarily soft lock/auto lock damage with a chance to just not work based on what your opponent is using, problematic abilities should just be changed, with actual ability nullification kept to a minimum. 

Well, a possible solution would be to make every warframe like Ash: 3 useless abilities, one near-useless utility ability and an overly specific passive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 11:33 PM, Witchydragon said:

I agree with you in part. Energy and abilities i have found over here in Xbox to be a field balancer. If someone is spamming the current broken melee and you can't seem to get distance from that thing powers such as the radial disarm can buy you some time with it's momentary pause or the banshee knock down. In a high powered match I do not see people spamming powers because that's how they massacred from a distance or they get caught during casting. 

Low powered matches I can see the issue because these are up and coming players that lack the accuracy of veteran players. 

Edited by (XB1)Aeries Vendetta