Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on my clan emblem?

Mars_Ultor

Question

10 answers to this question

I would recommend removing the words or at least making them just a stylised TFF.  When a friend of mine (who does visual design as a job) was designing the emblem for my clan he said "the name of your clan is not supposed to be part of the emblem/image".  Also consider the size and resolution of the emblem in-game, I don't think the details on the rock/grass would work out too well and the texture on the castle walls might get muddied even further.

And I personally am not a fan of it, though I'm sure this is just my preference speaking rather than anything being actually wrong with the design.

It looks pretty good, but will be really hard to make out in game, also the flying fortress behind the text looks a little off center. I'm not sure if you designed the castle yourself, but maybe pick out something a bit more simply with more clearly defined lines. 

To be more specific: the grey walls of your fortress just blend in with one another, if you can add a stroke to each layer (just a dark, black line) outlining each wall, it will add a lot more clarity to the image.

Image result for cartoon castle

Notice the black stroke around this image? Even the brick have a stroke around them, defining them and making it clear what they are: bricks.

You may want to consider leaving the cloud out as well. While it's dope as F*** blown up to size, the cloud won't do much good on a pixelized banner in your dojo or on your shoulder ingame. 

Also, the earthy-floating-island that the fortress stands on is fine with the castle you chose, just make sure the art style matches between the fortress and the floating island. Right now, you have a gritty, tall castle with a gritty, big floating island. So it works. If you're going to use something like the cartoony castle I used up above, you would want to adjust the island to also look cartoony.

Lastly: The text sort of compromises the image and/or the image compromises the text. When you're dealing with a logo this small, you sort of have to choose between readable text or discernible image. With how the floating island looks, the text is in a good spot, but idunno if it will be legible ingame.

Nice!  A few things:

- You're probably gonna want to dim it a bit.  My usual advice is to dim the whole image down to 190/255.  However, they made some changes to emblems in U20, so I'm not sure how correct that number still is.

- The partial transparency around the clouds will be less transparent in game.  I don't think it's a big with your image, just something to keep in mind. 

- It's not immediately apparent what the grey blob is.  With flat lighting it took me longer than it should have to figure it out.

I appreciate the input everybody. This is what I have now. My fellow members like it, so unless you guys can think of anything majorly wrong, I'll probably use it. Also I'm not much of a color grader, what would I be adjusting to dim it, brightness/contrast?

uX4sOlC.png

Bigger version

WPoj7qW.png

Edited by Mars_Ultor

50 minutes ago, Mars_Ultor said:

I appreciate the input everybody. This is what I have now. My fellow members like it, so unless you guys can think of anything majorly wrong, I'll probably use it. Also I'm not much of a color grader, what would I be adjusting to dim it, brightness/contrast?

uX4sOlC.png

Bigger version

Hide contents

WPoj7qW.png

Personaly, i'd still put on a 'TFF' just so it looks like an actual emblem rather than just a pic

1 hour ago, Mars_Ultor said:

:thumbup: 

Looks good, brightness looks fine.