Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Valkyr rework.

yarash2110

I love valkyr, honestly, i got her when her prime came out and even since i can't get enough of her, but because of the amount of time i invested in her and different missions i played with her, i realised her weakenesses and came up with some improvments for her, tell me what you think, i will go through each of her abilities.

RIpline

Her first ability, ripline is a good idea, it has two problems, first one is it doesn't change your momentoum and direction at all, you can bullet jump in a certain direction, ripline in another direction, but as soon as ripline ends you fly the direction you initially bullet jumped, even if it's the opposite direction to your ripline, this issue kind of hurts ripline as a movement ability.

The other use of ripline is the offensive use, but right now it's only used as a stun, i think instead of flinging the enemy with no direction or control when the enemy is riplined is the wrong way to go, instead it should knock the enemy down and pull them in front of you, making it possible to ground finisher the enemy, this change helps valkyr as a melee frame, also her exalted weapon, the claws deal a lot of damage to downed enemies, so it helps those too.

Warcry

Warcry is once again a great ability, but Warcry is Valkyr's gate to being a better support frame, as she is kind of sellfish in her current state, outside of warcry's speed debuff and melee buff.

So her are the changes: first, Warcry's speed debuff will be in a radius around Valkyr instead of just effecting a few enemies at first, and after they die it's useless for the remaining time of the ability, additionaly, i think her warcry should give valkyr 100% armor buff at base, and instead of doing the same to nearby teammates, it will give them a flat armor increase, because a precenetage of armor means nothing to most frames. maybe around 250 armor+ to teammates.

Paralysis

Once again a good ability, a bit underpowered, just a small stat buff, from 10 meters at max rank to 25 meters at max rank, still a small range but an actually decent CC at this point, the cost should be upped to about 20 energy or 15.

Hystaria

This is Valkyr's worst ability in my eyes, not in terms of use but in terms of the idea, it's extremly short range, decent damage but so many melee mods don't work on these claws, and it's only useful for lifesteal.

Hystaria should be a damage ability instead of a personal trinity bless. just like excalibur's exalted blade or ivara's artemis bow or wukong's staff.

All exalted weapons should work with all mods, (aside from rivens) if you think that wouldn't be balanced, we should change the weapon's stats, instead of just making it so that some mods magically don't work on exalted weapons, because that's anoying when building melee weapons, knowing that a lot of mods will have no effect on your ult, and it is inconsistent and makes no sense.

Additionaly, the range should be improved, the claws should have a much larger range, i belive the claws should have an affect similar to excalibur's blades, having energy that damages the enemies past the claw's range, it shouldn't just be a rip off of excalibur's ult though.

what i thought about was a wave of energy similar to banshee's sonic boom, that comes out of each attack that valkyr does, damaging all enemies in range, range should be adjusted for balance.

Last change for Hystaria is removing the life steal, the life steal will come from another source, as constantly switching between the claws and other weapons to keep your health up is annoying, and it forces us to either use a weapon type we don't like, or use a life strike mod on our melee to avoid using Hystaria, if the player will need damage he will use hystaria, but forcing a player to use a lackluster low range decent damage weapon is just not fun and not effective.

Valkyr's new method of regaining health

That's it for the abilities themselves, now for a change that i'm not sure about, so i'l give a few suggestions and i want to hear you guys out.

Instead of using Hystaria to regain health, we need another source for health to help valkyr maintain herself.

These are my suggestions: https://goo.gl/forms/bCo0uFN0AFAcMMKt2 feel free to enter your opinion in this survey.

additionally, here is another survey, just to hear what you guys thought of the changes i offered: https://goo.gl/forms/eqSk7s46DgB2u9MC2

yes, i am addicted to google surveys.

thank you for reading and responding.

Edited by yarash2110
feedback about the armor teammates buff

The only mods that don't work with her are the conditional acolyte mods, stances, and weapon specific mods, and the latter have a very specific reason why they don't work. Exalted weapons are literal weapons with their own stats, stances, and animations. The mods then are disabled because the weapon they modify is no longer equipped. Exalted weapons are also their own weapon class, so class specific mods, like covert lethality, do not work.

Next, she is the highest armored frame in the entire game. She should not be sharing her armor after its buff with all allies, it's rediculous.

Her claws are actually a pretty decent source of damage...

Galatine Prime and the regular Prime Pressure Point and Blood Rush and crit chance mods work wonders.

Sharing her armor with other allies? Can you imagine a Nyx with that high of armor? Or Nova? or Volt? That shouldn't happen.

Edited by (XB1)Ginger Bruhv

Just now, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Her claws are actually a pretty decent source of damage...

Galatine Prime and the regular Prime Pressure Point and Blood Rush and crit chance mods work wonders.

Weapon stats don't matter with her claws, only the mods. Literally any melee with those mods would do the same thing.

5 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

The only mods that don't work with her are the conditional acolyte mods, stances, and weapon specific mods, and the latter have a very specific reason why they don't work. Exalted weapons are literal weapons with their own stats, stances, and animations. The mods then are disabled because the weapon they modify is no longer equipped. Exalted weapons are also their own weapon class, so class specific mods, like covert lethality, do not work.

Next, she is the highest armored frame in the entire game. She should not be sharing her armor after its buff with all allies, it's rediculous.

there is no reason for the acolyte mods to not affect her claws, same for any other exalted melee. i didn't talk about weapon specific mods, i do understand why those don't work.

i guess you guys are right about the armor though

WarCry:

I could see her Armor-sharing a percentage of her Armor to bolster near-by allies (like 30-50%)

However I think it should be recastable rather than an Aura

Paralysis:

I agree with base Range increase and possibly Casting Speed increase(Or make casting fluid with melee attacks)

Rip-line:

Strongly agree it need some tweaks to be more fluid with Parkour 2.0

Technically it touches environment so it should count as refreshing Bullet-Jump/Aim-Glide/Wall-Latch timers the better allow for Spider-Valk

Hysteria : I personally don't care for this ability. But there is a huge player/fan base that feels it needs Reduction in energy cost. I think it trivializes a most of Valkyr's ability and stats. 

Edit: 

After running today's Interception Sortie 

I would greatly appreciate if Rip-line or Paralysis (Prolonged Paralysis) would interrupt Enemeis on Consoles like Banshee Silence i and Sonic Boom are able to.

Paralysis can remove an enemy from the console, yet it still proceeds as being hacked or in worst case it insta-hacks so enemies take nodes/sound alarms instantly instead***

1 hour ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

You played her for a while and consider warcry a dbuff and paralysis Cc? ehm...

I consider WarCry an enemy debuff and Paralysis a CC/Melee damage boost - Yes that seems correct.

Going g as far-to-say: I find Paralysis/Prolonged Paralysis as a more powerful Melee damage buff than WarCry will ever be...

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

7 hours ago, (PS4)MrNishi said:

I consider WarCry an enemy debuff and Paralysis a CC/Melee damage boost - Yes that seems correct.

Going g as far-to-say: I find Paralysis/Prolonged Paralysis as a more powerful Melee damage buff than WarCry will ever be...

Why not just using inaros then? Sounds like you want another Inaros.

Valkyr IS about that middle like between strong melee damage in hysteria and tankyness outside of it. That's the reason her abilitys offer these dual type effects and for her hysteria to have been nerfed to drain energy over time. (perma invincibility probably played a part too ^^)

Inaros DOES have a similar kind of tankyness, good Cc, finishers and even a unique type of healing/health support. Sounds like he's exactly what you're looking for. I'm personally a fan of atlas too. Good direct damage (rivals simulor mirage with ease) and defense paired with frost type Cc, defensive shields and nice summons.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

8 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

You played her for a while and consider warcry a dbuff and paralysis Cc? ehm...

warcry has a debuff to enemies, in addition to other effects to allies, and paralysis is a cc that opens enemies to finishers and stealth damage.

can you explain your condescension? or did you just want to sound cool?

6 hours ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

I main Val. She only needs a few QoL changes. Rip line should pull enemies too her feet and open up for ground finishers. (Like infested ancients do)

And hysterical assault should be like fatal teleport.

That's it imo

i agree about that change, and if not everything else i wrote i would be happy with some tiny fixes like this one.

1 minute ago, yarash2110 said:

warcry has a debuff to enemies, in addition to other effects to allies, and paralysis is a cc that opens enemies to finishers and stealth damage.

can you explain your condescension? or did you just want to sound cool?

i agree about that change, and if not everything else i wrote i would be happy with some tiny fixes like this one.

Middle passage of my previous post. It does have a dbuff too but that one's straight up inferior to other types of Cc and definitly inferior to a propper warcry build. Not to mention that you're definitly not relyant on paralysis for stealth finishers when naramon is able to do the job too. No point in maintaining range on her rly.

Just now, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Middle passage of my previous post. It does have a dbuff too but that one's straight up inferior to other types of Cc and definitly inferior to a propper warcry build. Not to mention that you're definitly not relyant on paralysis for stealth finishers when naramon is able to do the job too. No point in maintaining range on her rly.

sure it's not amazing but it is a great cc if you're surrounded, and not everyone likes easy mode naramon 100% of the time, you can't concider a focus ability just a part of the frame. i use warcry as CC in the higher levels (the debuff i was talking about earlier that you said "warcry a dbuff...?" about) but paralysis has it's uses

Just now, yarash2110 said:

sure it's not amazing but it is a great cc if you're surrounded, and not everyone likes easy mode naramon 100% of the time, you can't concider a focus ability just a part of the frame. i use warcry as CC in the higher levels (the debuff i was talking about earlier that you said "warcry a dbuff...?" about) but paralysis has it's uses

Why 100% of the time? Go for a max drain/max strength build/max durarion Build. Use guns, rage and QT outside of hysteria to gain energy, go all out in hysteria, reaping nothing but the extra stealth multipliers in hysteria (i mean you don't get damage regardless)

That's how i play her at least.

19 hours ago, yarash2110 said:

Hystaria

This is Valkyr's worst ability in my eyes, not in terms of use but in terms of the idea, it's extremly short range, decent damage but so many melee mods don't work on these claws, and it's only useful for lifesteal.

Bro, do you even slide attack?

26 minutes ago, yarash2110 said:

it's slide attack is only good in comparasion to it's other attacks... worse than most decent melee weapons.

No, it's not. Please check out the wiki on how much damage it does. Compare it to the highest damage slide attack, the Boltace series. And then check out the stance on how much is the multiplier for doing that slide attack. And then remember that this is all before mods.

2 minutes ago, JalakBali said:

No, it's not. Please check out the wiki on how much damage it does. Compare it to the highest damage slide attack, the Boltace series. And then check out the stance on how much is the multiplier for doing that slide attack. And then remember that this is all before mods.

do you not know how to read?

my entire point is that it's before mods, some of the best mods on melee weapons are mods that do not affect the claws, besides for the fact that the claws can't build a massive amount of combo like other weapons because of how ridiculous the energy drain gets

6 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Why not just using inaros then? Sounds like you want another Inaros.

Valkyr IS about that middle like between strong melee damage in hysteria and tankyness outside of it. That's the reason her abilitys offer these dual type effects and for her hysteria to have been nerfed to drain energy over time. (perma invincibility probably played a part too ^^)

Inaros DOES have a similar kind of tankyness, good Cc, finishers and even a unique type of healing/health support. Sounds like he's exactly what you're looking for. I'm personally a fan of atlas too. Good direct damage (rivals simulor mirage with ease) and defense paired with frost type Cc, defensive shields and nice summons.

What part of Inaros has Enemy Slow that can be used in a more controlled manner than Molecular Prime?

As far as I know Prolonged Paralysis on Valkyr is unmatched by Inaros.

Inaros has basically 1 ability for me to use: My normal Controller layout does not have 4th ability for any frame and none of my controller configs allow Tap/hold Abilities to work. (Cannot use Quiver, Minelayer, or Scarab Swarm)*

Devour is everything that is wrong with Hydroid's Puddle turned to 11. Sandstorm to me is Zephyr Tornado -which I find both annoying.

So I'm left with Dessication only. 

-Pocket Sand Blind is Amazing

Unlike Savage Silence , or Paralysis (Prolonged Paralysis) it works on Osprey and other flying targets 

Basically grants passive Health regen without needing to do anything other than cast. Finisher are just extra health regeneration. 

Blind itself was made overpowered when DE allowed the stun to last full duration and removed enemies firing attacking where they still hear threats. (Used to need Deaf and Blind to incapacitate enemies and DE made it so Blind can incapacitate by itself)**

4 hours ago, JalakBali said:

Bro, do you even slide attack?

Valkyr's Slide-Attack is weaker than her Ground Finisher 

Her Slide-Attack is also weaker than Acolyte Mod Ranged Slide-Attacks that have the ability to start getting into Excessive Red-Crits. Because of Maiming Strike plus Blood Rush

(Atterax, Orthos Prime, etcetera)

8 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Why 100% of the time? Go for a max drain/max strength build/max durarion Build. Use guns, rage and QT outside of hysteria to gain energy, go all out in hysteria, reaping nothing but the extra stealth multipliers in hysteria (i mean you don't get damage regardless)

That's how i play her at least.

I play Valkyr entirely different from you, with no Hysteria.

I seldomly cast WarCry to use as a Boss enemy vulnerability phase slow. (The duration is much smaller than Molecular Prime, most Creeping Terrify builds, Equinox Peaceful Provocation, and definitely not as annoying as Enemy slow from Ice/Stone Chroma/Frost/Atlas)

I dislike when players constantly lengthen the duration of Invincibility phases on bosses, just dragging the fight out. 

Have the decency to use the enemy slow in burts. (Hard for Nova since Duration affects the range so a catch-22)

Prolonged Paralysis is and Rip-line are the Abilities I am using frequently.

Rip-line for Osprey/Drones and the occasional Tall Elevator or Large Tileset

Prolonged Paralysis for efficient Melee Mob kills 

✓Enemies Grouped together

✓Enemy Slow to lengthen Status Duration

✓Access to Stealth Melee Multiplier due to some Status affects being applied on enemies recovering from knockdown

Pairs well with Helping Returns as the 100% Status on a large group of enemies makes it easy to restore health with every swing. Radiation triggers Stealth on knockdown recovering enemies (Sonic Boom, Sonicor, Dive Bomb Vortex, Pull, etc   Can all utilise Stealth Melee Multiplier without need for invisibility) Bonus - Radiation allows Ancient Aura to not be an issue.

•Nullifier Bubbles get shrunk with every Paralysis cast that had some Shield to convert to damage.

•Unalerted Nullifiers  get pulled from Prolonged Paralysis but do not dispel the enemies that are grouped together (Like how Creeping Terrify effect persists through dispel)

(Hoping Tennocon event returns, so I may kill enemies that Covert Lethality didn't 1-shot: Syndicate Death Squads spawned over the lvl9999 cap and CL did not kill them, bit was able to kill them with Stealth Gas from Savage Silence Banshee)

Where my build and playstyle utterly Fail:

CC and Status resistant enemies like Tomb Guardians (lvl145 Guardians wreck me) and Juggernaut (Behemoth)

•(Not status melee friendly nor Prolonged Paralysis Eligible)

Spam his first like everyone does. Boom, stunlocked enemys. Not enough Cc? His scarabs stun enemys too while draining life and his sandstorm is large area Cc.

DE doesn't need to make essencial clones of existing frames just because you "like" frames (whatever you like about her), putting features of frame B onto frame A just so can play frame A like frame B.

You don't like her ult, you don't like the offensive buff. You do like finishers, tankyness and Cc tho. That's litteraly inaros you're describing. Play him instead.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

32 minutes ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

Spam his first like everyone does. Boom, stunlocked enemys. Not enough Cc? His scarabs stun enemys too while draining life and his sandstorm is large area Cc.

DE doesn't need to make essencial clones of existing frames just because you "like" frames (whatever you like about her), putting features of frame B onto frame A just so can play frame A like frame B.

You don't like her ult, you don't like the offensive buff. You do like finishers, tankyness and Cc tho. That's litteraly inaros you're describing. Play him instead.

you're talking in generelized terms "oh so you want valkyr's ult to heal herself? so bassically you want valkyr to become trinity"

that is EXACTLY how you sound right now

18 minutes ago, yarash2110 said:

you're talking in generelized terms "oh so you want valkyr's ult to heal herself? so bassically you want valkyr to become trinity"

that is EXACTLY how you sound right now

Nope, pretty sure i said inaros cause that's what this breaks down to.