Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma "Rework"

ZectorV1

1 hour ago, PakkiTheDog said:

What Evanescent suggested sounds nice. Recasting of vex armor and some diversity.

Fine, they have useless abilities. What does that change? There is still a fact that they are being less used than chroma as their usefulness is nonexistent. This would give them the priority in my opinion. You don't leave these frames to rot and go changing an already useful frame and making him even better. 

I used the effigy build a lot before the secura nerf, now i get my credits in the index. I'm saying it is an ok ability, while his 2nd and 3rd are "omg good" abilities.

Now i'm using his tank build that is completely satisfactory compared to those frames.

Changes a bit because you're using them for comparison to Chroma suggesting they're in a far worse position and pretty much can't be used. Then that moves onto what you might find useless, is useful to others. Not necessarily because they're actually decent anyways, but people make them work to reasonable levels.

See now I don't come across many Chroma's but I've definitely come across more Titania's and Atlas. Hydroid's a rather random one but I've seen him and Zephyr is very rare. Either way they aren't being left and forgotten about. If there aren't that many issues with Chroma I don't see why you wouldn't address them with necessary quick tweaks, so that's one off the list so you can then properly focus on the others.

Despite your comments about DE making Chroma better, are you actually concerned about the other Warframes or are you in truth more worried about whether DE will nerf/negatively tweak Chroma? Do you really think they would easily make him OP even though you keep raising the point that he's supposedly in a good, and balanced, position? If it was that clear wouldn't they just make a few tweaks and bang, done?

Surely Atlas and Titania don't require full blown reworks but tweaks just like Chroma?

Though, is that all Chroma is useful for? Being a tank, temporary credit buffs with a distraction and/or providing some stat buffs to allies? Going in circles here, but I just don't see how just because something is made to work, intended or unintended, can be deemed as in an okay state.

Edited by Naith

11 minutes ago, Wholfe1999 said:

I think that they should make make his 2 recastable and 3 refreshable

2 minutes ago, Jobistober said:

Or perhaps toggle-able?

Yeah not happening , that's what counteracts the fact your immortal when both are up, trust me its propbably for the best if they don't because this gives you 1-2 seconds of weakness and if your not careful you will die almost instantly, and even against level 30 mobs if your not careful you will die.

If you really want them to be then expect both to get nerfed down so there is a way for you to die in exchange for eternally active vex and elemental ward. Thats just how De does things.

Edited by AlphaTheFinalBalance

6 minutes ago, AlphaTheFinalBalance said:

Yeah not happening , that's what counteracts the fact your immortal when both are up, trust me its propbably for the best if they don't because this gives you 1-2 seconds of weakness and if your not careful you will die even at 30 if your not careful.

If you really want them to be then expect both to get nerfed down so there is a way for you to die in exchange for eternally active vex and elemental ward. Thats just how De does things.

Just throwing the idea out there. Trust me, I'm not advocating instant, eternal immortality. In practice, Chroma loses more than 2 seconds between casts of 2/3 due to building the buffs back up. That's why I threw in toggled ability, you forgo the constant buff/debuff cycle and just have the buffs up until he runs out of energy. I understand there has to be some kind of penalty to the "immortality" shtick, a la Valkyr's Hysteria.

Don't know why you want to continue arguing about this after my last post but ok.

2 minutes ago, Naith said:

See now I don't come across many Chroma's but I've definitely come across more Titania's and Atlas. Hydroid's a rather random one but I've seen him and Zephyr is very rare. Either way they aren't being left and forgotten about.

In the last couple of months i think i never saw Atlas, Titania, Hydroid, Ash or Zephyr if i wasn't the one using them. Now i'll explain my position on them for the last time as i'm getting  a bit tired of this.

Atlas has only one good ability and that is his 1st. With it he is capable to one/two/tree hit all the enemies no matter the lvl. Other abilities? Petrify is to weak and you get shot at in the mean time. Even if buffed it would be a bad ability. The walls aren't that useful, you have enough cover in this game. Rumblers are S#&$. So is Atlas at a better state than Chroma? No. How is he useful in the game other than one hitting enemies with his first? Should his abilities be buffed or completely scraped?

Ash. Invisibility is meh, fatal teleport can be used in index on some enemies otherwise you don't have the time to kill mobs one enemy at the time. The first ability is S#&$ like most first abilities. His bullet storm takes for ever so you are better of using your weapons. Is this frame better than chroma? No. How is he useful in the game other than fatal teleport? Spy? Loki,Octavia and Ivara do that so much better. Does he need a buff too or a whole rework at least of his 4th? So he would have 2 ok abilities and one great? Would this be passable?

Hydroid... waste of words for this one. Other than for farming resources in mid tier he isn't used anywhere. Better than chroma? No. Does he need a buff or a whole rework?

Titania. If you hate Zephyrs tornados, boy you'll hate her. Useless buffs. The only good ability she has is razorwing. So is Titania better than chroma? No. Buff or whole rework?

Woukong. The best tank in the game in my opinion. His defy is a great ability. Other than that what does he have? Cloud walker is S#&$ unless you have zenistar and afk in the void/fissure. His 4th can be replaced by a properly moded melee weapon. So is he better than chroma? No. Buff or a rework of at least his 1st and 3rd ability?

Now lets take a look at Chroma. His 2nd and 3rd ability make him unkilable, overpowered frame capable of one shooting sortie bosses, clearing whole rooms of 100+ lvl enemies. Done. Better than all of them. Nothing else needs to be said. But he also has his 4th, that can again come in use when farming credits. So he has 2 great abilities and one ok.

When i'm talking about usefulness i'm talking about high lvl missions, where all frames should be viable.

31 minutes ago, Naith said:

Despite your comments about DE making Chroma better, are you actually concerned about the other Warframes or are you in truth more worried about whether DE will nerf/negatively tweak Chroma? 

Over the line here buddy.

35 minutes ago, Naith said:

Do you really think they would easily make him OP even though you keep raising the point that he's supposedly in a good, and balanced, position? If it was that clear wouldn't they just make a few tweaks and bang, done?

I'm not saying he is in a balanced position, i'm saying he is op and useful. Something that above mentioned frames are not.

43 minutes ago, Naith said:

Though, is that all Chroma is useful for? Being a tank, temporary credit buffs with a distraction and/or providing some stat buffs to allies? Going in circles here, but I just don't see how just because something is made to work, intended or unintended, can be deemed as in an okay state.

I don't know what the hell you are trying to achieve here, especially after my last post. I said that the buff for his 4th so he is a better CC would be welcomed. The change of his 1st as well. But if he needs so little time, as you said, this means that at this point he is at an ok state. Just a little upgrade. Is this sentence really bothering you so much that you would rather admit that Woukong, Titania, Atlas, Ash, Zephyr and Hydroid are at a better state than Chroma?

On 4/30/2017 at 1:25 PM, (PS4)DBR87 said:

Man, am I the only one that love fire Chroma and thinks he's better than ice Chroma? I mean, tanking the world is cool and all but the Scorn damage buff to weapons makes everything do insane damage and more health = more damage buff. Plus the health heal...

Still, Chroma is like what, arguably the best tank in game and best solo frame in game? He doesn't need a rework. His Spectral Scream needs a buff. I would argue Effigy is fine. At least I use it for CC on occasion.

I play fire chroma too and I seem to preform better with him then ice. So your not the only one man 😃. 

Don't know why you want to continue arguing about this after my last post but ok.

Because I thought we were having a conversation, unless you're having something else.

In the last couple of months i think i never saw Atlas, Titania, Hydroid, Ash or Zephyr if i wasn't the one using them. Now i'll explain my position on them for the last time as i'm getting  a bit tired of this.

I've seen them all, minus Zephyr. Even Hydroid two to three times, which I found surprising, who is close to as rare as Zephyr.

Atlas Ash. Hydroid Titania. Woukong. Now lets take a look at Chroma. His 2nd and 3rd ability make him unkilable, overpowered frame capable of one shooting sortie bosses, clearing whole rooms of 100+ lvl enemies. Done. Better than all of them. Nothing else needs to be said. But he also has his 4th, that can again come in use when farming credits. So he has 2 great abilities and one ok.

Still doesn't mean that Chroma can't be addressed prior to all the others just because he may be viewed as better due to being able to survive and do enough damage in high level situations. To be fair, a few of the abilities mentioned on some of the Warframes could just be appropriately tweaked, opposed to broken down and rebuilt, to make them worthwhile. Apart from that this seems to support my notion which you responded to below - if all Chroma requires is tweaks, then it's common sense to get the tweaks out of the way, off the list and sorted to then make time appropriate time the ones which might need it.

I'm not saying he is in a balanced position, i'm saying he is op and useful. Something that above mentioned frames are not.

Wasn't any line to cross. It was a simple question is all. Was going by some of the comments you've made and actually wondered whether that was one of the reasons you didn't want him looked at. If he's that OP then one would assume he might 'need' to be nerfed, but isn't that what you were slightly concerned about earlier with your first post?

I don't know what the hell you are trying to achieve here, especially after my last post. I said that the buff for his 4th so he is a better CC would be welcomed. The change of his 1st as well. But if he needs so little time, as you said, this means that at this point he is at an ok state. Just a little upgrade. Is this sentence really bothering you so much that you would rather admit that Woukong, Titania, Atlas, Ash, Zephyr and Hydroid are at a better state than Chroma?

I don't know about you, but I was trying to have a discussion? Not sure what else I'm trying to achieve. My comment has been going by what you've been saying. Also, already established my view that they're all generally in the same boat. Just gotta wait like the rest.

But anyways this is all just my opinion in the end, as with yours, so we can only see what will happen.

17 hours ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Zephyr is certainly in more need of attention than Chroma, but it wouldn't hurt seeing some synergies in his kit. This is what I'd like to see, for Chroma:

Hide contents
  • Passive: Elemental Mastery - Elemental Status Effects on Chroma are reduced in duration (needs to be stack-able with Rapid Resilience), and have a chance to proc an Elemental boost. Ideas for the Elemental boosts:

Heat, Regenerate 1 health for duration of Status Effect.

Electric, Shield Recharge rate is boosted for a short duration

Toxic, chance to absorb and/or disperse/dissipate Toxic Clouds.

Cold, chance to be unaffected by Status Effect and proc Freeze on melee attackers

The Passive could use some tweaking, I was just trying to find minor auxiliary effects that are different from Ember, Volt, Saryn and Frost but could sorta mimic and fit within what Elemental Ward does.

• Spectral Scream - instead of being a channeled ability, it takes on the Afterburn capacity as a Burst ability. As the projectile travels can leave an AoE trail behind the burst that works like the basic channeled ability. Obviously the math on the ability will need to be tweaked, as well as the initial cost to use. Could also have Duration leave a lingering cloud, mimicking Naplam type visuals that would match the chosen Energy Color.
  • Elemental Ward - Add the ability to change Element during a mission, using the tap/hold functionality. Maybe increase base Aura Range.
  • Vex Armor - Since Warframes use Ferrite Armor type currently, Vex Armor adds a base 50% Puncture Resistance to offset Puncture's +50% boost against Ferrite, if Warframes continue to use Ferrite. Also, Instead of when the timer runs out, the whole amount of boost is lost, allow the percent values to decay at some rate until recast, and stop decaying once Vex Armor is reactivated.
  • Effigy - Either reduce the energy drain on the ability or give Effigy a duration like Rumblers, and allow it to mimic the new Spectral Scream firing bursts as described above.

Augment Idea for Effigy - Gives Tap/Hold functionality to have Effigy work as it does now or allow it to follow Chroma like a Bodyguard, ala Tenno Specters and Clem.

That's more or less the direction that seems sensible for Chroma to me. And so the only thing that bugs me is whether to have that Puncture Resistance be built into Vex Armor or not, since I would actually rather have a new Tenno Armor type for how that Attribute works on all Warframes.

If Zephyr can get updated, here is where I'd lean towards:

Hide contents

Passive - Lightweight, 1st Tail Wind, 2nd Dive Bomb and 4th Tornadoes all could see significant updates and means to address bugs with her abilities.

For example, one direction to explore is see if Zephyr could use a Limbo style capability for controlling here accent and decent independent of her abilities just as Limbo and slide into the Rift, so expanding her passive, depending on what changes in her abilities. One thing Zephyr lacks is fine control in the air and being able to have fine control like Titania in Razorwing.

Then Tail Wind and Dive Bomb feel like they can be combined into one ability, when tapping can have her be directionally mobile as Tail Wind works now, and then holding to come crashing down in a Dive Bomb.

From here, maybe move Turbulence to be her 2nd ability (a la Iron Skin being a 2nd).

Tornadoes becomes her 3rd (a la Sandstorm) and she gains a new ultimate ability that can allow her to maybe stay in the air?

I'd need to think on this more, but I was thinking of being Airborne similar to Razorwing I guess. That way Zephyr has more control when in the air as that is her environment, but with the ceilings of many maps and from reading that sniper perches have been invisible walled, maybe a better idea should be considered here.

As for her survivability, Turbulence is likely her best ability now and a new fourth could be a means to cover weaknesses to staggers and AoE when she is airborne.

I'm loving that Chroma passive a lot. And I'm totally digging the effigy augument that sounds really cool.

Edited by (PS4)Gojira200

4 hours ago, AlphaTheFinalBalance said:

Yeah not happening , that's what counteracts the fact your immortal when both are up, trust me its propbably for the best if they don't because this gives you 1-2 seconds of weakness and if your not careful you will die almost instantly, and even against level 30 mobs if your not careful you will die.

Making the time for his 3rd ability refreshable

Edited by Wholfe1999

20 hours ago, Jobistober said:

Just throwing the idea out there. Trust me, I'm not advocating instant, eternal immortality. In practice, Chroma loses more than 2 seconds between casts of 2/3 due to building the buffs back up. That's why I threw in toggled ability, you forgo the constant buff/debuff cycle and just have the buffs up until he runs out of energy. I understand there has to be some kind of penalty to the "immortality" shtick, a la Valkyr's Hysteria.

The energy consumption would borderline on insanity, look at the effigy at 10 energy base, vex could be much higher in a case like this. If one thing chroma has is a huge energy deficiency outside of zenurik and a toggle energy drain for his crucial skills sounds like more energy problems and downtime then I'd like to have. Most toggle abilities like chroma's effigy do not allow you to Regenerate energy while active,

Vex relies on power strength so the cost would also increase a lot you could expect vex lasting you at most 60 seconds then you'd be left without energy and/or your vex/ward buffs, Idk if you prefer something like this but I prefer the way they are now its much easier to manage and doesn't put you into an electric chair often enough to make it an issue while still leaving a wide enough gap to die while recasting.

But that's the flaw I see from a toggled vex armor buff not to mention the lack of energy regeneration while the ability is active.

May I also add can we hold off on talking about chromas Vex armor and any changes to it, ITs not even fixed yet and its unstable in its coding, We should stay away from this one ability so DE can focus on fixing it otherwise we may make a bigger mess then intended to have and I for one do not advocate modifying unstable, and broken coding instead of solving and redoing the formula like DE wants to do atm.

Edited by AlphaTheFinalBalance

16 minutes ago, AlphaTheFinalBalance said:

Seems redundant of an answer/reply what do you mean mate?

Making the timer recastable while keeping the buffs

Say once the timer reaches zero or close to it, you hit 3 and it resets the timer but not the buffs.

Edited by Wholfe1999

The passive. It's bull. It's not a passive, it's an active part of his abilities....Along with nyx's, it's one of the crappiest passives out there due to simply not being one. It's like if equinox's passive was being able to use 7 abilities. It's the warframe's entire gimmick/selling point (or was, when he first came out, now it's vex armor of but still) he needs a real passive. A passive that only shows if you use an ability is BY DEFINITION NOT A PASSIVE.

15 minutes ago, Wholfe1999 said:

Making the timer recastable while keeping the buffs

Say once the timer reaches zero or close to it, you hit 3 and it resets the timer but not the buffs.

That's asking vex to be nerfed, Having a recast while resetting the vex armor armor and damage back to 0% is more likely to not attract a nerf since in essence its just reseting the skill back, but ultimately isn't necessary because you want it active as long as possible and recasting vex is near instant and you can activate it while in movement without stopping your current action, which makes it much easier not to die.

So unless you want vex to get nerfed We shouldn't make an absurd change as having a constant vex going with its buff at max.

2 minutes ago, Ironlixivium said:

The passive. It's bull. It's not a passive, it's an active part of his abilities....Along with nyx's, it's one of the crappiest passives out there due to simply not being one. It's like if equinox's passive was being able to use 7 abilities. It's the warframe's entire gimmick/selling point (or was, when he first came out, now it's vex armor of but still) he needs a real passive. A passive that only shows if you use an ability is BY DEFINITION NOT A PASSIVE.

If one Thing is sure to change out of chromas rework its this. But To be fair to DE at the time when chroma was built they didn't have the luxury of doing it another way and  I think they mentioned it in Devstream 90 that chroma was pushing their limits on what they could do back then when he was released.

48 minutes ago, AlphaTheFinalBalance said:

The energy consumption would borderline on insanity, look at the effigy at 10 energy base, vex could be much higher in a case like this. If one thing chroma has is a huge energy deficiency outside of zenurik and a toggle energy drain for his crucial skills sounds like more energy problems and downtime then I'd like to have. Most toggle abilities like chroma's effigy do not allow you to Regenerate energy while active,

Vex relies on power strength so the cost would also increase a lot you could expect vex lasting you at most 60 seconds then you'd be left without energy and/or your vex/ward buffs, Idk if you prefer something like this but I prefer the way they are now its much easier to manage and doesn't put you into an electric chair often enough to make it an issue while still leaving a wide enough gap to die while recasting.

But that's the flaw I see from a toggled vex armor buff not to mention the lack of energy regeneration while the ability is active.

May I also add can we hold off on talking about chromas Vex armor and any changes to it, ITs not even fixed yet and its unstable in its coding, We should stay away from this one ability so DE can focus on fixing it otherwise we may make a bigger mess then intended to have and I for one do not advocate modifying unstable, and broken coding instead of solving and redoing the formula like DE wants to do atm.

All really good points. As I said, just throwing out ideas, although I would prefer his 2/3 to remain mostly unchanged and his 1/4 get a proper rework. Guess we'll see.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:24 PM, PakkiTheDog said:

Stop scaring me with the Chroma rework. And stop telling DE that you want Chroma to be reworked. If they take a look at him and realize how op he is they could nerf him. DON'T YOU DARE!

His one is S#&$, forth is ok for credits, second and third are the best. All frames have at least one bad ability so i think Chroma is good as is. There are other frames in dire need of a rework.

Ahem....

frost?

nidus?

loki? 

Inaros?

these frames all have great abilites, and anyway, no one should be fine with a bad ability because "other abilities are bad"

Personally I would make chroma able to change his energy colour while in mission (his 1st ability). And combining elemental damage while doing that. For example, if you change from cold to fire, your weapon/abilities get a % of making explosive proc on enemies for "x" seconds.  Things like that.

His 2nd:  A large buff to electric and poison elements for them to be as good as ice element. Also a small buff for fire.

His 3: Is perfect.

His 4: I think its okay. Effigy deals a good damage against high level enemies. Also Effigy's crowd control is not bad.

A possible augment for his 4th could be one of these:

- Make effigy able to move around the area.

- Make effigy able to follow the player like a normal pet/sentinel.

- Effigy's elemental fire could turn the floor it touches into ice/fire/electric/poison area for "x" seconds or until the Effigy returns to the frame. If the element changes and touches floor with different element then they combine turning the area to explosive, radiation, magnetic, etc....

- Instead of placing the Effigy, Chroma is able to fly around for a while (thanks to Effigy's wings) and also can throw the Effigy's fire to the enemies.

Edited by DP_KRoM

1 hour ago, DP_KRoM said:

Personally I would make chroma able to change his energy colour while in mission (his 1st ability). And combining elemental damage while doing that. For example, if you change from cold to fire, your weapon/abilities get a % of making explosive proc on enemies for "x" seconds.  Things like that.

His 2nd:  A large buff to electric and poison elements for them to be as good as ice element. Also a small buff for fire.

His 3: Is perfect.

His 4: I think its okay. Effigy deals a good damage against high level enemies. Also Effigy's crowd control is not bad.

A possible augment for his 4th could be one of these:

- Make effigy able to move around the area.

- Make effigy able to follow the player like a normal pet/sentinel.

- Effigy's elemental fire could turn the floor it touches into ice/fire/electric/poison area for "x" seconds or until the Effigy returns to the frame. If the element changes and touches floor with different element then they combine turning the area to explosive, radiation, magnetic, etc....

- Instead of placing the Effigy, Chroma is able to fly around for a while (thanks to Effigy's wings) and also can throw the Effigy's fire to the enemies.

I would say that using toxin would also give you an evasion buff like the stealth drift, but around 8-13% affected by strength plus faster reloads. You could set up for dodge builds instead of armor tanking. Pretty unique. 

Electricity could speed up shield recovery and constantly regenerate them like if you would have a fast deflection mod even over your maximum allowed (overshielding you). 15-20 per second affected by strength. With the introductionof shield gating you could set up some crazy shield taking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 1:17 PM, PakkiTheDog said:

Atlas has only one good ability and that is his 1st. With it he is capable to one/two/tree hit all the enemies no matter the lvl. Other abilities? Petrify is to weak and you get shot at in the mean time. Even if buffed it would be a bad ability. The walls aren't that useful, you have enough cover in this game. Rumblers are S#&$. So is Atlas at a better state than Chroma? No. How is he useful in the game other than one hitting enemies with his first? Should his abilities be buffed or completely scraped?

Ash. Invisibility is meh, fatal teleport can be used in index on some enemies otherwise you don't have the time to kill mobs one enemy at the time. The first ability is S#&$ like most first abilities. His bullet storm takes for ever so you are better of using your weapons. Is this frame better than chroma? No. How is he useful in the game other than fatal teleport? Spy? Loki,Octavia and Ivara do that so much better. Does he need a buff too or a whole rework at least of his 4th? So he would have 2 ok abilities and one great? Would this be passable?

Hydroid... waste of words for this one. Other than for farming resources in mid tier he isn't used anywhere. Better than chroma? No. Does he need a buff or a whole rework?

Titania. If you hate Zephyrs tornados, boy you'll hate her. Useless buffs. The only good ability she has is razorwing. So is Titania better than chroma? No. Buff or whole rework?

Woukong. The best tank in the game in my opinion. His defy is a great ability. Other than that what does he have? Cloud walker is S#&$ unless you have zenistar and afk in the void/fissure. His 4th can be replaced by a properly moded melee weapon. So is he better than chroma? No. Buff or a rework of at least his 1st and 3rd ability?

Now lets take a look at Chroma. His 2nd and 3rd ability make him unkilable, overpowered frame capable of one shooting sortie bosses, clearing whole rooms of 100+ lvl enemies. Done. Better than all of them. Nothing else needs to be said. But he also has his 4th, that can again come in use when farming credits. So he has 2 great abilities and one ok.

When i'm talking about usefulness i'm talking about high lvl missions, where all frames should be viable.

The issue is that this is about Chroma. It isn't really a valid point to say he doesn't need touching up because something else may or may not need it more. That's not about Chroma. Way too many people make this mistake on this forum. 

Edited by Zectorcop