The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If We Put Aura's On Sentinels Instead

Dazko

I've run a few Artifacts myself, but the only ones I found next to entirely useless were scavenger ones (because I awlays pack ammo boxes anyway) and the ones like Steel Charge for melee damage and such (which were unnecessary for me at least). I used Corosive Projection, Infested Impedance, Energy Siphon and one other I can't remember the name of (it was that third one from the event that handed out the three possible new Artifacts) as the situation suited. I think the fact that people use(d) Enerygy Siphon so much isn't a crack so much on the old Artifact SYSTEM, but on the old artifacts THEMSELVES. If anything else had been as effective as it should have been from the start, then you wouldn't end up with people using the same Artifacts (or Auras) over and over and over again.

I think polarizing the new Auras is an attempt to force diversity by making it impossible to afford the energy cost of a high level Aura that doesn't fit your frame's polarity slot without Forma (and still won't fit until they fix the UI so you can tell what slot you're Forma-ing is actually the Aura one and not a normal one). I personally think, however, that this was the wrong way to do it since it doesn't force diversity but just Forma usage to get what Aura you want.

This is why I think being able to put Auras on Sentinals AND Warframe would be a better idea.

A.) Less energy cost. Because let's face it, even as a beginner we NEVER have had enough points to mod like we want to. It takes a LOT of work to make even a normal build, and with most peope thier builds are already maxing out thier frames, sometimes even maxing them out in forma'd slots.

B.) It would give Sentinals more utility than they currently have. As it is, Sentinals are only there to shoot things (sometimes), boost sheilds, stealth, and provide cover when reviving someone. I don't see much downside to making them MORE useful, especially if it's optional in the ability to use it to carry Auras and has some balancing factor that doesn't make putting an Aura in your Sentinal more useful than your frame.

C.) Letting Sentinals carry Auras would allow for greater mod flexibilty on warframes, which in turn allows for greater playstyle flexibility for players. Again, so long as there is a balance (like a dead Sentinel ending/reducing your Aura buff, ect. whereas having the Aura on your frame would not), I see no downside in doing this.

D.) Letting Sentinels use Auras would allow players a more diverse pool of Auras to choose from, promoting diversity of Aura usage. For example, my Trinity has a built in triangle Aura polarity, which limits what mods I can use. However, if I had a Sentinel with a polarity slot of bar or v, my options would be way more open on what I could use at-will than I would if I had to reforma my frame anytime I got a new Aura that didn't match my polarity (and I see this as something that is bound to happen as new Auras make their way into the game). This means I could effectively be a better team player (and better supporter) because I could be more flexible in equipping the best things for each situation if I could utilize my Sentinel as well. It would work in the same way you might switch mods on your weapons depending on what enemy you fight; like adding in some fire damage to help deal with infested, or lighting for Corpus, ect.. Again, as long as there is a balance (like only being able to actually USE one Aura at a time), I fail to see a downside to this. As people who don't want a Sentinel (or can't afford it or whathaveyou), aren't forced too, they just take a hit on mod points. But for the people who want mod points above all else they have an alternative, even if it isn't as stable a garuantee at having thier Aura buff the whole mission.

None of this has anything to do with whinging or crying or raging. It has everything to do with trying to take a system that has potential in it already, and make it better. I fail to see how this is such a horrible idea.

Firstly, this is a great post.  I'm glad to see people starting to think more in a solution oriented manner and less in a lets all complain together sort of way.  

As I was finishing your post, I believe you've stumbled upon a rather severe problem warframe is facing at the moment.  It's been here for quite some time but I didn't realize how problematic it was until just now.  Warframe is suffering more and more from the "loot ramp" problem.  Except instead of loot its polarized slots and maxed out mods.  You see, yes sentinels are not terrible useful at the moment.  Yes, giving them the ability to work as an aura holder in lieu oh the frame once you get one will increase their utility.  So what is the problem?

Well, the problem is that speaking in terms of power, this game is dramatically top heavy.  There are players who go above round 100 on defense missions practically sleeping.  Once you have an optimal, there is no challenge and obtaining an optimal is relatively easy.  The worst part is that you don't actually need an optimal to rofl stomp everything for the most part, because reactor+1or2 forma+some decent mods and you're pretty much already at god mode.  If you allow these new auras to be slapped onto sents its pretty much handing even more free power over.  

But how do we address the issue?  Well, frankly I think it will become worse before it gets better.  These are times of growing pains.  Essentially we need a way to have content which can challenge the top of the player base while rewarding them without impacting the lower tiers much.  At the same time, we need the lower tiers to be able to reach the top tiers and to do that they need power.  The root of the problem seems to be that power is easy to come by in this game.  It doesn't scale very well at all.  

I think it is time to start taking a very, very serious look at master ranks and what those mean.  Sentinels holding auras?  I think that can be OK, as a feature which is unlocked at a certain mastery rank.  Is this punishing newer players?  No, I don't think it is at all.  I don't think newer players have any need for that much power and having it just removes any challenge from the game.  Yes, a lot of the content is similar on a high level because we never have to plan out our moves or think much because we can just button mash 90% of the time and roll over everything.  What if, we started restricting certain levels of power beyond just some exclusive weapons to mastery ranks?  This would start to put players on par with the content they are facing.  After this is done, content of some sort needs to be implemented for players on the top of the power scale.  I think this is the road the devs have to start walking as a long term.  Much of the problem here is the devs trying to create or force balance on things that just aren't balanced at all. Honestly there are some really good posts here and I think it might be worthwhile to create a separate thread so the devs will see this lest they be buried in this post whose topic we're straying a bit aways from. 

good one sir then lets make the deal :

1.remove aura system on warframe

2.add aura system on sentinel

3.bring back the artifact

geez im so lost of being releved my frame and sentinel 3 and 4 times if theres an auras system, its very exausted and annoying to relevel same frame 4 times to get all my mod added

To those who disagree with the idea, and don't want Sentinels to have the Aura, there are always ways around it. For example, you could keep the Aura slot on the Warframe, and also add one to the Sentinel, and if an Aura is in one of them, don't let one be put in the other.

Don't like auras going with sentinels because some people don't

even use sentinels because it affects their gameplay (Loki). Also

if your sentinel dies, then you lose the aura. My recommendation

as I'm sure many have already said, just take off the polarity and

remove the fact that it consumes power. If you're worried that the

aura is too strong for low ranked frames, maybe have it coincide

with the warframe's rank. Maybe something like this?

Rank 0 Warframe = 1 Power Cap to Aura

Rank 5 Warframe = 2 Power Cap to Aura

Rank 10 Warframe = 3 Power Cap to Aura

Rank 15 Warframe = 4 Power Cap to Aura

Rank 20 Warframe = 5 Power Cap to Aura

Rank 25 Warframe = 6 Power Cap to Aura

Rank 30 Warframe = 7 Power Cap to Aura.

This is merely an idea, could go good or bad o_o

This to is a great idea. As long as we dont have to downgrade our Warframes mods I'm happy with both ideas.

Edit. Ok. This idea would also allow us to upgrade different artifacts as well. If there was no polarity of course. We would be able to upgrade each artifact we have by using a forma on our Warframes. After reaching level 30 switch artifacts, use another forma then raise the level on it. Rinse and repeat. could also help with repeats of the same artifacts you obtain in an alert. Make it so you would have to level up each artifact seperatly on each warframe. So you can't use all of the artifacts on all Warframes.

Edited by IIPREDATORII

You can remove a mod from your warframe too. I don't see the problem really, supportive players will probably prefer an aura over a more selfish mod

Mods on your warframe are generally more important though.

Just to point out something to DE,

This current system does not make people want to use energy siphon less but make it more likely that people will only use it exclusively because of how much of a pain it is to switch auras. For the people who do decide that they will use the new aura system in their build they are likely to pick energy siphon and never switch it.

By putting the system onto your sentinel it makes it easier to switch between auras by picking a sentinel that has a different aura. It is likely that they will too use energy siphon exclusively but the freedom is still there.

The best way to encourage use of other auras is to buff them. Change scavenger auras so that enemies have a small chance to drop addition ammo for weapon "x" on top of what they would already drop instead of the current system, make physique worth while, create new artifacts that effect your shield and max energy pool.

There are lots of suggestion posts about the Aura crysis,

i liked some, loved others,

But this one? nah! pls i dont want Auras on sentinels. Just because it wont solve the points cost issue (just hide it elsewhere) and the pin in the a$$ to equip/unequip all the time, + squad visibility.

And sorry, 10 pages tl:dr, :)

I like the ideer,

however,.. the only reason our sentinels arent fully moddet out, as our frames are. (no mod points to spare for auras)

Is because theres not as many mods to use on the sentinels,.....yet!

its clearly the intention of the DEs, to add many more mods for the sentinels in the future,..

thus we are just gonna have exactly the same problem as we do now,...

However its infinetly more reasonable to forma your sentinel twice, than having to do it twice on all your frames...

so i guess i support the ideer as opposed to the current state of affairs..

What is so wrong with that, Exactly?

I know when I was new I had to choose between wether I wanted to save up for a gun, Or save my credits for a new Frame when I farmed the parts. I chose the Gun. And then eventually, I saved up and got a new frame afterward.

It's just about prioritizing what you want first. You can live without a new Frame just as much as you can an Aura. Or a new Gun. If you really want the Frame first then by all mean get it first. And the senti later.

But you shouldn't expect to get it all right away.

Why shouldn't they? It would finally make Sentinals worth-while to make. Besides having a cute little companion. And you can fully play and win almost all the levels without an Aura. I wasn't even aware of equiping cards/Aura until around mastery 3.

Bottom line for me anyway, Is it's just a small little buff, That isn't monumental to playing. Giving it to a support item like Sentinals, That aren't monumental to playing either, Wouldn't hurt.

-SJ

Of course, I am not expecting to get sentinels, weapons, and frames right away. Why should we restrict a new player's customization by forcing them to choose between weapon, frames, AND sentinel. Sentinels are just a supporting thing. New players will be more familiarized with auras if they are exposed to it sooner, which is a good thing. Then they are aware of the aura and can plan it with their future Warframe builds. This adds a level of complexity to the game that is completely harmless since the auras are just a little buff. 

Sentinels are already worthwhile, you can be cloaked by them, they provide extra damage, stun enemies, recharge your shields. And since you can fully play and win almost all the levels without an aura, this argument about putting auras on sentinels shouldn't be a problem.