The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hi not sure what to do next. May have been hacked over 900 platinum is gone.

BioMetal

This is the message I sent to support and have not heard any thing back. It also enplanes my problem.   

I received an email on Tues, May 2nd at 6:15 am. from steam asking for a verification code. I didn’t think much of it until later because I had to go to a doctor’s appointment. When I got back to my house at 2 PM I started up Warframe and logged in like I normally would. I realized I had somehow lost all of my platinum, which was over 900. I’ve been a customer and fan since the game first came out. I even traveled from New York to your Tenno con in London Canada last year. I've put a lot of time and money into Warframe. Is there anything you can do to help? My one question is how did they take the platinum from my account? If it was done by trading, there may be a way to track the person down. I received an email from Steam at 6:17 AM and logged in to Warframe at 2 PM, is there a way to see what was done on my account in that timeframe. Also, is there a way for me to stop this from happening again. Some people have nothing better to do than to steal from other people. I've been saving and managing my platinum for a long time, just to have someone take it from me. 
I have also contacted Steam separately. Unfortunately, they can't do anything, because it's in game. 
I would greatly appreciate if you could replace the platinum that was stolen from me. 
I anxiously wait for a reply BioMetal 

I hope someone can help somehow. 

Add file or drop files here
Requester

BioMetal
Created

May 02, 2017 15:00
Id

Status

open 

Ya I'm just getting a little stir crazy waiting. Feels longer then a week. Wish they'd reply letting me know there on it at least. Thanks for replying. I'll just wait in the fetal position.       

2 hours ago, BioMetal said:

Ya I'm just getting a little stir crazy waiting. Feels longer then a week. Wish they'd reply letting me know there on it at least. Thanks for replying. I'll just wait in the fetal position.       

Was it possible that you got any or most of this plat through trading? Considering your situation, a hacker is likely, and it really does sound like it. And 900 plat would be a lot to get through one or a couple trades, but I have heard of weird things happening. 

For example: 

Say you traded someone a copy of Maiming Strike + some other stuff for 900 platinum, and then after the sale, there is a chargeback on thne card of the person who bought it from you and they lose their plat, and their balance goes negative. I have heard sometimes in those cases, that the plat that the person who got it through trade often has it taken away as well, because that plat is removed from the system, but I am not sure that is the case anymore or not. 

The answer this can be what the fellow tenno above me said. If a person buying a plat pack the system always ask how much then forward u to the steam there is a certification on the process and if you have positive cash balance is not a problem but in some weird scenarios may happen some error but on the steam is rare because it's always cancel the transaction if you have no money on your card so may the person using a different card or system for trades or have hacked plat and later removed by the system.

In this scenario the traded plat also removed because that came from a person who got in shady ways. If your balance was positive then you not giving a ban for it but if you used the stolen platinum and removed from you later then your acc going to be banned for negative balance.

In this situation may not this happens simply just your acc hacked. The support will monitor your case but it can take 2-3 week.

1 minute ago, BioMetal said:

I'll trade were I give platinum for the item but not reverse. Mostly I buy platinum when I get a discount from login bonuses. I appreciate the support.       

In that case it sounds like you did indeed get hacked, especially considering the email confirmation thing, which suggests someone was getting into your account from an unknown location. 

The only other possibility would have been you getting roughly 900 plat from one trader who had a chargeback. If you are usually the buyer of platinum and not the seller, and haven't made any huge sales yourself recently, I can't think of anything but a hack that could have happened here. 

Support will get you eventually, the day will be saved. 

Steam doesn't ask for verification codes. Steam sends verification codes you have to input to log into your account.

And even if that's true, the fact that you got the verification email should warn you that someone else is trying to access your account.

I don't get it.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Buccos21 said:

I suggest you also change your password for steam and your email account.  If they were able to get through steam verification, then they probably have access to both of those.

If he must change his password and mail then he can ask in that same letter the support to check the platinum lose and account hacking because a mail adress changing from the support is faster than the normal support. It took me one day to change my mail adress once were got hacked my mail adress. He can tell this and send in then he done 2 thing with 1 letter maybe it can speed up the process.

2 hours ago, C0mbatJack said:

Steam doesn't ask for verification codes. Steam sends verification codes you have to input to log into your account.

And even if that's true, the fact that you got the verification email should warn you that someone else is trying to access your account.

I don't get it.

Not trying, succeeding. Steam sends verification codes when someone has successfully logged in with a password.

As for OP, whenever something like two-step-verification is offered, use it. It's entire aim is to give you more account security, be it with a game, or even just your mail, it makes sure that just knowing someone's password username combo is no longer enough.