The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Warframe port to the Switch?

(PSN)Oz_Waldo_

Just now, InfinitySnail said:

I don't think it'd work all that well, especially if you're going for handheld support. The game'd be tiny. Let alone having another build to put through cert on another console.

Also, more development time and delayed updates like consoles.

2 minutes ago, InfinitySnail said:

I don't think it'd work all that well, especially if you're going for handheld support. The game'd be tiny. Let alone having another build to put through cert on another console.

1 minute ago, LogaMC1995 said:

Also, more development time and delayed updates like consoles.

You can play on tiny screens no problem. Also, the cert for consoles works slightly differently. PS4 and Xbox One have very similar systems with similar specs, so developing for both isn't as hard as you'd think. The Switch would require its own team and cert process, as Nintendo have a very different way of doing things to Sony and Microsoft. 

I think it should be on the Switch, as it would expand the playerbase more, as well as give the Switch more publicity. It's a great and innovative console (unlike PS and Xbox), and I feel developers should really consider developing for it.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't allow any microtransactions (Tennogen, platinum for example) unless they get most if not ALL profits.

It'd be a terrible idea, good in theory but terrible in practice, the switch is just so far behind any other console currently in terms of hardware, it'd probably be troubling to port it to the hardware the switch has, yet alone managing to get it to play on that screen.

Edited by Latiac

I am sure it would be a waste both in times and rescources to port the game there because of the switch user number is not enough, otherwise this needs for both sides an agreement and the nintendo needs to allow the microtransaction in the game. For me it is not a problem but for the devs it would be a huge problem since DE is a medium team and needs to hire more employee to manage the swith and overall every part of developement well. If DE could have been around 1000-1500 employee then I would say ofc it is not a problem but the current 100-200 (just a number) is not enough to do this well. Also there could be Linux, Mac versions too and maybe another console versions but the current capacity and those compromissums make it hard to do.

If somehow they given around 10-100 million then they can improve their park and hire new peoples and the game development can speed up.

The biggest hurdle, which would suck up an enormous amount of time and resources, is the fact that the Switch is not an x86 processor based platform. The reason why porting Warframe to the XB1 and PS4 was easy was because these systems use x86 AMD processors, meaning that the instruction set (and by extension the developer tools) resulted in a far more similar environment to PCs.

This is also the reason why Warframe won't be brought to the Wii U, PS3, Vita, Etc.