Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor Rework

Hixlysss

So a couple days ago a friend had an interesting idea for the Opticor, to kinda bring it up to speed with the more...modern warframe weapons. The idea would be that the Opticor would go from being an essentially single target, slow charging, weapon to a "Charging beam" weapon, basically you charge up the weapon and it fires it's entire magazine in a single steady beam, allowing the opticor to more easily hit multiple targets, as well as allowing it to output massive amounts of single target damage, and still keep it's...honestly abysmal firerate. And we could keep the current single shot of the opticor as an alternate fire, perhaps with a much faster charge rage.

Just now, Bronjun said:

Beam weapons are terrible in general. 

The idea is it isn't the standard beam weapon. It would be more like the Pandero, where it just rapidly fires every shot after charging up.

10 minutes ago, Hixlysss said:

The idea is it isn't the standard beam weapon. It would be more like the Pandero, where it just rapidly fires every shot after charging up.

I suppose you would still need to swipe cursor around to damage crowds right? This brings the issue of beam weapon's terrible damage calculating mechanism. 

If the weapon behaves like Pandero's alt, I suppose each individual shot will be treated as a single shot instead of the "tick" mechanism? Even then I don't see how the 5 round mag will help in this rework, it is just too small to be remotely efficient, plus if you buff the mag size it would be kind of OP? 

Edited by Bronjun

So... Fire-rate becomes a contradictory stat to use?

Because you'll empty the clip much faster, but alt fire will shot rapidly...
Or you can shoot slower and hold the fire button for 20 minutes and alt-fire will simply never hit.

I somewhat dislike Continuous beam weapon as of currently, they always end up being a boredom game of swipe left and right.
I like my huge corpus cannon as it is.

I like part of that idea. The opticor has basically infinite ammo, because you really never run out of ammo with that thing. Adding an alternative firing mode that would empty the entire clip in a single supercharged shot sounds like it would do a lot for that gun.

The opticor really isnt that bad of a weapon, is just that its dreaded fire rate and charge time keeps people from using it, but with the right riven like i have, it becomes a massive beast of destruction, the real BFG of Warframe.

To be honest, i like the opticor as it is, but if it ever needs a rework, it would probably most likely come in the form of, say, a Vandal Opticor.

So here is my idea for that kind of gun: Alternative fire mode to empty entire clip in a single super shot that deals massive damage and larger area of effect, innate punch through, 20% crit and status chance, and a slightly faster charge rate.

12 minutes ago, Bronjun said:

I suppose you would still need to swipe cursor around to damage crowds right? This brings the issue of beam weapon's terrible damage calculating mechanism. 

If the weapon behaves like Pandero's alt, I suppose each individual shot will be treated as a single shot instead of the "tick" mechanism? Even then I don't see how the 5 round mag will help in this rework, it is just too small to be remotely efficient, plus if you buff the mag size it would be kind of OP? 

It's just an idea for DE to hopefully take off the ground, tweak the stats as needed. And it would be a single shot instead of a tick. So it would do those 5 shots with it's 1k damage a shot in the matter of seconds, rather than charge, fire one, charge, fire two...it's so slow. The Opticor, as it currently stands, really needs some work done to it, and I figured this would make it more unique, as it does have a "splash" where it hits, so if it's a pseudobeam that explodes on contact. Sure, the idea is that it would be a very short beam, but combine that with it's innate splash...that can do massive damage over a small area, taking out groups of enemies(Think the Angstrum, but instead of a circle it's a line).

1 minute ago, Zoknahal said:

I like part of that idea. The opticor has basically infinite ammo, because you really never run out of ammo with that thing. Adding an alternative firing mode that would empty the entire clip in a single supercharged shot sounds like it would do a lot for that gun.

The opticor really isnt that bad of a weapon, is just that its dreaded fire rate and charge time keeps people from using it, but with the right riven like i have, it becomes a massive beast of destruction, the real BFG of Warframe.

To be honest, i like the opticor as it is, but if it ever needs a rework, it would probably most likely come in the form of, say, a Vandal Opticor.

So here is my idea for that kind of gun: Alternative fire mode to empty entire clip in a single super shot that deals massive damage and larger area of effect, innate punch through, 20% crit and status chance, and a slightly faster charge rate.

I'd probably swap things around, just bump up it's fire rate and have the alt fire take a bit longer to charge up. As well as add a "Charge and HOLD" instead of instant fire...but a good idea, the opticor's only real fallback is the charge rate, and it's lack of status/crit to make it viable for late game.

Primary fire: The Optiroc fires a single charged shot

Alternate fire: The Opticor disables safety restrictions and empties its entire magazine as a focused (movable by the carrier) beam over 1 second (Anyone here playerd against the new Ambulas?!)

Okay so if we get an alt fire for the Opticor we need a trade off. The alt fire can not be better than the base. So lets look at the current values:

Looking at this I propose the following:

Increase crit of the base shot to 35%, leave status at 15%

The alt fire has a 35% status chance and a 15% crit chance (And change main status it inflicts to slash!! For cool effect and dmg over time for survivers. Giant beam of death cuts enemies in half)

Alternatively leaving the stats for primary and secondary the same you could give the Opticor a cooldown of 3 seconds (random number, don't hate) in which it vents and cools down from releasing such massive amounts of energy in such a short time.

Edited by Simmml

I see videos of people using the Opticor, and I'm left mystified.  Every. Single. Time. I use it, I get overrun.  Even just using 50% charge, it has the sniper rifle problem of just not killing fast enough if the mission spawns a lot of guys.  I have good damage and fire rate on it, but I guess just on some maps it works and others it doesn't?

It needs to be able to kill quickly enough to keep up and it just plain doesn't now, god help you if you miss or happen to be shooting at something that can survive more than one shot.

Since it came out I've always kinda thought it'd be nice if the Opticor worked sorta like bows, tap fire for a quick but weaker shot, hold to charge a high damage one. Also I wish we could hold a charge instead of it auto firing. Maybe for mechanics: tap fire is still pretty strong but has low AoE, so it really is basically just a single target weapon (without punch through but even then it can only hit targets in a straight line). Charge shot consumes additional ammo (up to full clip), adding the power of the individual shots together for a shot with up to five (without magazine mods) times the damage and AoE of an uncharged shot. With punch through mods the shot only explodes when it's passed through as many enemies as it can. (Explosion effect like that of the remote bombs from Breath of the Wild?)

It should do both, the small aoe is from the shockwave of such a big hit. But having innate punch through on a beam cannon also makes sense.

Alt-fire where it uses more ammo and gets a proportional damage increase... hmm. plenty of possible mechanics on that one.

One is like the Tenora, the charged shot uses 2-3 (instead of the 5) but adds punch through and more damage/crit whatever

Another is the longer you hold it down the more ammo it uses (so holding it down for 5 charges shoots a single blast with 5x the damage and more punch through)

Last is that the alt fire is an instant shot, uses all the ammo, get huge damage and buffs, but you get cooldown animation (or a secondary reload for to replace a "heat sink") AND reload animation, for a total of x3-x4 reload time.

Overall, yes, the Opticor needs tweaking.

Edited by TonyWong