Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does invisibility work?

MystiKasT

Question

I know it allows enemies not to see me,

but can they 'see' me if I fire a very loud gun?

How about if I melee them?

At what point is my character appearing invisible but enemies are actually shooting me?

Thinking of running Loki P for The Index: Endurance with a Dread

10 answers to this question

If you fire they will get alerted 

If you melee everything is fine because its silent ^.^ but kill the guy quickly because he will do stuff.

enemy can shoot you if you are invisible : if you make sound or if they are shooting at something behind you ;) 

Edited by trunks013

What invisibility does is make enemies not actively attack you or go alert if you are within their LoS. The AI can certainly see you, but it checks if the unit in question should. If they hear gunshots, they will fire at the source, that is, you. If you melee them, they will try to shoot you too. If they are in a 'forced alert' like what happens with Capture missions or Arena modes or Endless modes, they will go to where you are and wait for the invisibility ends so the AI can tell "well, NOW you can shoot that 'invisible' ninja you were aiming at".

As long as you use a silenced weapon (or Loki's Hushed Invisibility), they will completely ignore you. Without that, they will know that you're there, somewhere, and start to blindly fire in the general direction you were in, in order to hit you. If you run into them, they may either start shooting, or spaz out wildly. If you strike them with a melee weapon, they may blind-fire their gun or very rarely use one of their abilities (where applicable).

Technically enemies always see you. It's just how the AI is written.

There are scripts involved to prevent them from acting in most situations, each script acts as a stage of alertness.

Completely un-alert enemies will patrol and act as if you're not there. They will be slow to react if you're no longer invisible near them.

Cautious enemies will look and walk towards a direction of sound made by you, something you hit or if they see a body. They will react instantly if you're visible.

Alerted enemies will run towards your last known location either known by them or other enemies. They will also shoot in your last known location if that particular enemy actually saw you. They may also change direction of their fire if you continue to create sound, knock into them, ect.

Enemies will stand down from each level of alertness over time.

Some mission types spawn enemies at different alert levels. In Survival for instance all enemies will spawn alerted. Infested always spawn alerted outside a few special missions and of course alarms being on will do the same.

The short version, If an enemy never sees you, they will never shoot.

1 hour ago, Nazrethim said:

What invisibility does is make enemies not actively attack you or go alert if you are within their LoS. The AI can certainly see you, but it checks if the unit in question should. If they hear gunshots, they will fire at the source, that is, you. If you melee them, they will try to shoot you too. If they are in a 'forced alert' like what happens with Capture missions or Arena modes or Endless modes, they will go to where you are and wait for the invisibility ends so the AI can tell "well, NOW you can shoot that 'invisible' ninja you were aiming at".

Very fun explanation

9 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Infested always spawn alerted outside a few special missions and of course alarms being on will do the same.

Infested actually spawn in the unaware state, but they're a hive mind so once one sees you, they're all alert.

7 hours ago, UltimateGrr said:

Infested actually spawn in the unaware state, but they're a hive mind so once one sees you, they're all alert.

The Hive Mind thing is just the map being set to alerted state (Alarms).

My post was already getting long and I didn't want to confuse anything by talking about map alert state Vs enemy alert state since it has very little impact.