Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove MR Tests

After spending hours and hours leveling up weapons and warframes to try to achieve mastery rank I've run into Mastery Rank 11 test. This is effectively removed all progress in the mastery rank system due to injury to my hand that prevents me the fine motor control to perform the coordinated jumps and shooting.

One would think after such a grind that progression through the system would be easier or at least have a Fail-Safe to prevent people from leaving the game. It's a horrible system and a negative feedback for spending so much time and resources to progress in a system with limited Rewards.

Nah, I hate this idea.  I love the mastery tests.  11 in particular has always been challenging but doesn't need to be.

I'm sorry about your hand but that's no reason to take out the tests that 99% of everybody else is able to do - being able to level a bunch of stuff alone isn't what gives MR it's meaning, being able to pass the test is also part of it.  Anybody and their dog can level a bunch of fodder - but a test is a test, you have to pass to prove yourself.  

Try something other than what you're used to - look t this guy uttely destroy it with Titania, hardly even hit half the orbs - didn't seem to require any precision or aiming:

Perhaps remove was the wrong word. It just should not be a hard stop gate. Perhaps if there was a mechanic to allow you two purchase a skip on certain tests with Platinum after so many fails. Thank you for the video that looks more doable with my range of motion.

I'm glad you were able to do the test, but please understand that this:

19 hours ago, (Xbox One)Ravencr0ss said:

fine motor control to perform the coordinated jumps and shooting

is mainly what Warframe's gameplay is all about. And not only Warframe. In fact, often the game's sole purpose is to test these skills.

Asking devs to get rid of something like that may come across as little selfish...

Well I liked them at first but now that my connection is a bit lacking because of NA's utter garbage 20 year old network (I have trouble around Denver Colorado its where I am routed through). I am stuck at test 8 and with my connection I will never get past it. So I really don't see myself investing any money or alot of time in the game because its a natural progression block for me in the game. A few friends already left and I can see I will just hang out a Mastery rank 7 because at this point there is no reason to advance. Not saying its a bad thing to have in the game just some people no matter how much they like the game they will not stay they will not invest and the community shrinks.

I feel for you, Tenno! 

I get frustrated sometimes with the Mastery Tests, but I think they need to stay! I've learned a few things from them that I never used all that much. Things like wall clinging and much of the acrobatic maneuvers. 

Maybe you should submit a help request? Best of luck! 

Mastery test 11? Laughable. All the MR tests are an absolute joke until you reach 19 (stealth bugs insta-failing you) and MR24 with the annoyance that is the highly un-optimized Operator form shooting a bubble that has no fekks to give. It's an actual test of skill, unlike those that power level with Akkad (laughable), Hydron, Bere (*vomits*), etc just to reach max MR without any stipulations of skill. If we didn't have small tests, I'd end up with Draco Babies™ all over the place in every mission, sortie, bazaar, relay, Trial and more that know nothing about how to play the game properly because they all leeched up to MR23/24 in a month. Hell, I even had a friend that couldn't complete the what...MR3 test for hacking consoles...? just because he had never hacked anything in his life due to always playing on Earth which has no alarms.

The tests are fine as is when disregarding the bugs and issues with some not working properly. If you can't complete one, then your gear or overall skill is under leveled and forces you to either pussyout of it and look up the cheese method or try to get better on your own.

Edited by DarkFlameZealot

Some people like them some hate them some find them easy some do not. Simple fact is they slow or stop progression and that costs customers its that simple. Now bottom line is that yes they are a joke most of the time but if you're like me stuck in S#&$ty north america for work, I don't get my 5 gig fiber connection I have at home in Japan. That being said do you really think I like so many that feel blocked or slowed going to invest in the game? To tell you the truth I will not invest even though I really like the game, no sane person would if they are unable to progress.

3 minutes ago, Devils_Toybox said:

Now bottom line is that yes they are a joke most of the time but if you're like me stuck in S#&$ty north america for work, I don't get my 5 gig fiber connection

I play with a 5 mbps connection down at max.  I am Mastery rank 23 and have passed every test in, at most, 2 tries.  The tests are solo and, as such, connection quality doesn't really matter as long as you are able to remain connected to the game.

Yes but when you're jumping with 300-800ms pings it does matter when trying to compete some of them. Some games players have great connections myself I have a 22 ms ping to Battlefield a 67ms to Overwatch. Your right its not about line speed its about line quality and which North America is lacking.

10 hours ago, Devils_Toybox said:

Yes but when you're jumping with 300-800ms pings it does matter when trying to compete some of them. Some games players have great connections myself I have a 22 ms ping to Battlefield a 67ms to Overwatch. Your right its not about line speed its about line quality and which North America is lacking.

Again, the tests are in solo mode so connection speed will never be an issue.  I have one of the worst connections I've ever heard of (Thank you rural area ISP) and have never had an issue with ping rates in Mastery tests.  

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, (Xbox One)Ravencr0ss said:

After spending hours and hours leveling up weapons and warframes to try to achieve mastery rank I've run into Mastery Rank 11 test. This is effectively removed all progress in the mastery rank system due to injury to my hand that prevents me the fine motor control to perform the coordinated jumps and shooting.

One would think after such a grind that progression through the system would be easier or at least have a Fail-Safe to prevent people from leaving the game. It's a horrible system and a negative feedback for spending so much time and resources to progress in a system with limited Rewards.

I dislike the current MR 11 test.  I've run it a few times since DE redid the MR tests, and I have to say that I much prefer the one I took way back in the day.

My current gripe with MR11 is that there's very little contrast between platforms and open space, so it can be hard to tell if that's a platform you're aiming for or if you've got a long time to make peace with the Void.

Beyond that though, grab an Ignis or Ignis Wraith, and let the large cone of wall ignoring death hit all the targets for you.  Just wave it in the general direction, and you'll be fine.

22 hours ago, Devils_Toybox said:

Simple fact is they slow or stop progression and that costs customers its that simple.

No they don't. You still get mastery when you reach the peak of your level.
Just practice the tests. They give you that option at the relays.

3 hours ago, Iccotak said:

No they don't. You still get mastery when you reach the peak of your level.
Just practice the tests. They give you that option at the relays.

Na I am quite happy with sticking around at my current mastery level and really I have no plans on do much more in the game. Don't get me wrong its a pretty good game but just not really interested in doing much more then hanging out in level 10-15 instances and leveling frames. Ya I did the practice thingy a few runs kept lagging out while jumping so haven't bothered to try again no reason too my connection is horrible. As much as I play or plan on playing I don't think I will ever level the prime frames my friends gave me before they left anyways. 

I was stuck at MR 8 for a long time because I have a laggy connection and never used bullet jump in game since the connection meant I had a tendency to fall out of the sky mid jump. One night while selling prime tat to Baro for ducats I'd run out of scanning charges and went to buy more from Simaris and while I was there - with no real expectation of passing it after having failed over a dozen times and never been able to complete it in a practise run - I went for the test with a Volt equipped and quite miraculously passed. I have found that Mastery Rank tests are almost as much trial and error as the chances of ever getting enough mutagen samples to complete the Hema research. I think that some tests beg to be cheated on if you are old like me (I'm 53 with little patience and few fine motor skills) if only because some of the weapons you'd like to use are locked behind ridiculously mastery ranks. Considering that a gun is a gun and you still press mouse button one to shoot it no matter what mastery rank you are where is the sense in that? Luckily this game does not require you complete the tests to progress through the game, it is just a personal pat on the back if you complete them. As such I don't think they need to be removed but I do want them not to clamour 'complete me' at me from my screen if I don't. What I want is for them to remove mastery rank locks from weapons or frames because the little guys need the powerful weapons more than the fast and clever ones do to have a fighting chance at higher levels. Until they do I'll continue buying prime access to subvert the mastery locks - but I feel for the majority of players who can't afford to do that.

Mastery tests should be an optional and grant bonus mastery toward your next rank when passed.

They frustrate many players, are poorly designed from a visual standpoint (too little contrast) and simply are not fun or enjoyable at all for a lot of players. So why continue to frustrate and push players away? 

Make them optional. Give those that want them a Badge and some bonus Mastery. And those that dont, can still progress to the next rank, as opposed to leaving the game out of frustration.

1 hour ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Mastery tests should be an optional and grant bonus mastery toward your next rank when passed.

They frustrate many players, are poorly designed from a visual standpoint (too little contrast) and simply are not fun or enjoyable at all for a lot of players. So why continue to frustrate and push players away? 

Make them optional. Give those that want them a Badge and some bonus Mastery. And those that dont, can still progress to the next rank, as opposed to leaving the game out of frustration.

Its a system to earn stuff. Its your profile level. So then you earn to be able to use the next set of weapons.
I had trouble at master rank 11 too but I practiced and was able to do it. The point is to challenge you.

Now if you think that Mastery Rank challenges themselves need to be looked then that is a more common ground we can discuss. 

Well the simple fact is that these "tests" lock people into a level and people leave if they get discouraged. Its a free to play game after all so they are not out nothing if they leave. And they will not invest any money if they don't progress. Either way I don't care I won't invest in the game even though I like it, I don't plan on taking tests to advance, I gave it a shot guess I just missed the mark on passing the test. I take tests in school this is a game I don't need to do it here. I can have a ton of fun just grinding frames and farming fodder and buying what ever I want anyways while I wait for the next game to come along that catches my attention. I am sure it would be different if I invested money I am sure I would stick with this game I really like it. 

On 7/4/2017 at 8:00 AM, (Xbox One)Ravencr0ss said:

Perhaps remove was the wrong word. It just should not be a hard stop gate. Perhaps if there was a mechanic to allow you two purchase a skip on certain tests with Platinum after so many fails.

I think that would be a great idea even without having to fail to buy-pass the test. No one hurts because a player has a higher MR, you still have to level the gear, and DE could make a buck or two from the sales. I might not use it, but it could help others that hit a brick wall and just want to progress. Win win.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:15 PM, Devils_Toybox said:

Well I liked them at first but now that my connection is a bit lacking because of NA's utter garbage 20 year old network (I have trouble around Denver Colorado its where I am routed through). I am stuck at test 8 and with my connection I will never get past it. So I really don't see myself investing any money or alot of time in the game because its a natural progression block for me in the game. A few friends already left and I can see I will just hang out a Mastery rank 7 because at this point there is no reason to advance. Not saying its a bad thing to have in the game just some people no matter how much they like the game they will not stay they will not invest and the community shrinks.

im running on potato pc
with only 3mbps

i just got to mr22 this morning haha
potato gamers ftw! lets meet at PoE and die a gruesome death haha 

Potato computer maybe I just got it from Cyberpower about 3 weeks ago.

It has a AMD Ryzen 1800 cpu @ 3.6 ghz, the motherboard is a ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero, with only 64 GB of gskill ripjaw DDR42400 mhz memory. Video cards are only 8GB Radeon 580's in crossfire, And its all installed on a 1TB samsung M.2 Evo PCI hard drive. Yep might be my potato computer or maybe is lack of driver support or maybe just maybe since its a older game its not been optimized for my potato just yet.

1. I like the Mastery tests

2. Sure, some of them may be a little frustrating, but just give it a little time and you'll get it eventually.

3. It's unfair to remove the tests after thousands of players worked hard going through all the tests.

4. Git gud.