Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Ar

(PSN)purpleskullgamin

Question

18 answers to this question

Yeah, I think you could say it's an LMG, I just never considered it one.

Well, the list of all assault rifles includes a LOT of burst rifles, not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Spoiler

Tetra (auto projectile)
Tiberon (burst)
Zenith (Special 500 day login)
Stradavar (auto and semi)
Karak (auto)
Hind (burst)
Hema (REALLY expensive burst)
Harpak (burst projectile)
Dera (auto projectile)
Burston (burst)
Braton (auto)
Boltor (auto projectile)

From these, my favorites are the Stradavar and Dera, but I'd say the best DPS may be Boltor Prime or Tiberon, Braton Prime is also really good.

Are you basing this off looks or stats? Because Soma Prime is one of the strongest --albeit smaller-- sustained DPS rifles in game, whereas heavier looking rifles generally do less damage. My personal favorites besides Soma Prime (within the automatic rifle category) include the Boltor Prime, Supra Vandal, Prisma Gorgon, and Tenora.

I've become attached to the zenith myself.  It's a step up from the braton prime, with better magazine capacity, higher status chance, and a quicker reload speed.  And I don't bother with the alt-fire, I don't like the mechanics.  There's something infinitely hilarious about taking an automatic rifle with 100% status chance plus mostly slash damage and shredding enemies to pieces.

Just now, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

I've become attached to the zenith myself.  It's a step up from the braton prime, with better magazine capacity, higher status chance, and a quicker reload speed.  And I don't bother with the alt-fire, I don't like the mechanics.  There's something infinitely hilarious about taking an automatic rifle with 100% status chance plus mostly slash damage and shredding enemies to pieces.

I figured i'd end up hearing braton.

2 minutes ago, Jobistober said:

Are you basing this off looks or stats? Because Soma Prime is one of the strongest --albeit smaller-- sustained DPS rifles in game, whereas heavier looking rifles generally do less damage. My personal favorites besides Soma Prime (within the automatic rifle category) include the Boltor Prime, Supra Vandal, Prisma Gorgon, and Tenora.

A bit of both. something that isn't super large like the Soma or tenora or supra a.k.a the light machine guns. but isn't based off more like a sub machine gun for instance Grataka. the best of the middle ground, something like the Braton, the Karak, the Dera. 

1 minute ago, Dwolfknight said:

Yeah, I think you could say it's an LMG, I just never considered it one.

Well, the list of all assault rifles includes a LOT of burst rifles, not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Reveal hidden contents

Tetra (auto projectile)
Tiberon (burst)
Zenith (Special 500 day login)
Stradavar (auto and semi)
Karak (auto)
Hind (burst)
Hema (REALLY expensive burst)
Harpak (burst projectile)
Dera (auto projectile)
Burston (burst)
Braton (auto)
Boltor (auto projectile)

From these, my favorites are the Stradavar and Dera, but I'd say the best DPS may be Boltor Prime or Tiberon, Braton Prime is also really good.

hmm, may look into making my have to finally finally finish up my crit boltor project then.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

A bit of both. something that isn't super large like the Soma or tenora or supra a.k.a the light machine guns. but isn't based off more like a sub machine gun for instance Grataka. the best of the middle ground, something like the Braton, the Karak, the Dera. 

I see, so middle ground. Karak and Dera are pretty weak unless you grind for the Wraith/Vandal versions. Braton and Boltor Primes are pretty good, even more so if you are willing to put in the forma. I'm guessing those are closest to what you're asking for.

Hema is the best assault/burst rifle. It doesn't care about armor and have very good ammo economy on top of innate viral procs. https://streamable.com/3nv9t

On second place i'd probably place Zenith, where you can strip armor with 1 mode and finish them with the other but thats 500 days login so out of reach for many unelss you already have it. Also they screwed up secondary fire marking and untill they fix it it's pretty much unusable. https://streamable.com/0gb4v

After that probably Sybaris Prime.

10 hours ago, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

hmm, may look into making my have to finally finally finish up my crit boltor project then.

That's not a project, tha'ts idiotic, it's not a crit weapon. If you wanna bring it to the next level use dual stat mods and a status chance riven with multishot.

This is warframe, don't think too much into it, weapon classes, secret builds, none of the exists.

source: bitter veteran with 3k hours.

7 hours ago, (PS4)cdzbrbr said:

That's not a project, tha'ts idiotic, it's not a crit weapon. If you wanna bring it to the next level use dual stat mods and a status chance riven with multishot.

This is warframe, don't think too much into it, weapon classes, secret builds, none of the exists.

source: bitter veteran with 3k hours.

Additive crit, something that can be abused quite nicely, and whilst your content with the norm. I'll be having fun toying with what others consider madness.

Edited by (PS4)purpleskullgamin

20 hours ago, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

What is the AR with the Highest DPS that isn't more of a Sub Machine Gun or Light Machine Gun?

Well...

SMG implies secondary and the LMG as they're presented in the game are primaries, so the question is posed on a misunderstanding of terminology. Warframe only really classifies weapons by ammunition used; terms of convenience used in the game that have no firm tie to actual weapons terminology (which is a bit squishy itself).  

By definition, an SMG uses pistol ammunition, so in game terms it's a secondary. Yes, there's some grey at the edges, but this is basically how the weapon is defined as a class.

The SomaP is generally considered as having the highest potential damage output of autotrigger primaries, but killing speed of enemies with very high armor ratings isn't necessary a direct result of high paper DPS.

Of primary guns with less than a 3-second reload, then the BratonP, KarakW, and BoltorP are pretty much the high-end. Two of these are status guns, so they can bat a bit above their apparent league. If you're willing to consider burst-fire weapons as ARs, then the Sybaris Prime and Dex Sybaris are probably the most powerful primaries at present.

2 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

Well...

SMG implies secondary and the LMG as they're presented in the game are primaries, so the question is posed on a misunderstanding of terminology. Warframe only really classifies weapons by ammunition used; terms of convenience used in the game that have no firm tie to actual weapons terminology (which is a bit squishy itself).  

By definition, an SMG uses pistol ammunition, so in game terms it's a secondary. Yes, there's some grey at the edges, but this is basically how the weapon is defined as a class.

The SomaP is generally considered as having the highest potential damage output of autotrigger primaries, but killing speed of enemies with very high armor ratings isn't necessary a direct result of high paper DPS.

Of primary guns with less than a 3-second reload, then the BratonP, KarakW, and BoltorP are pretty much the high-end. Two of these are status guns, so they can bat a bit above their apparent league. If you're willing to consider burst-fire weapons as ARs, then the Sybaris Prime and Dex Sybaris are probably the most powerful primaries at present.

I agree with the OP you can still classify weapons even if the game does and there is more to it than just ammo consumption, for example, the Grakata is an SMG (we even have a dual version as a secondary), the Sybaris and Grinlock are repeaters so on.

Also, totally forgot about the Buzlock on the other post, while it does have characteristics of a DMR, the fire-rate, the high magazine and fact it's automatic would put it on a long range assault rifle.

5 minutes ago, Dwolfknight said:

I agree with the OP you can still classify weapons even if the game does and there is more to it than just ammo consumption, for example, the Grakata is an SMG (we even have a dual version as a secondary), the Sybaris and Grinlock are repeaters so on.

Also, totally forgot about the Buzlock on the other post, while it does have characteristics of a DMR, the fire-rate, the high magazine and fact it's automatic would put it on a long range assault rifle.

Op? Original poster I'm guessing? Only other thing I can think of would be "over powered" and I'm not entirely sure how that would fit in to this.

Edited by (PS4)purpleskullgamin

1 minute ago, Dwolfknight said:

I agree with the OP you can still classify weapons even if the game does and there is more to it than just ammo consumption, for example, the Grakata is an SMG...

You can't and it's not.

Words mean things and SMG--submachinegun--means something. By definition it's a sub-caliber machinegun. At the time the weapons were developed around WW1, this meant they used pistol ammunition rather than service rifle ammunition. This was due to issues with material science and engineering, but it did define the class. It still does.

There's some squish around this with guns like the HK MP7 and maybe even the P90 (though technically this does use pistol ammo--5.7x28 was also chambered in the FN 5.7, a handgun). These you could call sub-subcaliber machine guns to align it with the definition of assault rifle, but bullet diameter has never really defined anything in weapons development and has steadily decreased since the 18th century, so it can be ignored as pedantry.  

So.

This still leaves us with a disconnect between weapons definition in Warframe and real weapons. In WF, everything is divided into primary, secondary, and melee. In our world, it's a LOT more complicated, with design history, role, ammunition types, political skullduggery, and a host of other influences having a hand in what we call things.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)purpleskullgamin said:

Op? Original poster I'm guessing? Only other thing I can think of would be "over powered" and I'm not entirely sure how that would fit in to this.

Original Poster.

3 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

You can't and it's not.

Words mean things and SMG--submachinegun--means something. By definition it's a sub-caliber machinegun. At the time the weapons were developed around WW1, this meant they used pistol ammunition rather than service rifle ammunition. This was due to issues with material science and engineering, but it did define the class. It still does.

There's some squish around this with guns like the HK MP7 and maybe even the P90 (though technically this does use pistol ammo--5.7x28 was also chambered in the FN 5.7, a handgun). These you could call sub-subcaliber machine guns to align it with the definition of assault rifle, but bullet diameter has never really defined anything in weapons development and has steadily decreased since the 18th century, so it can be ignored as pedantry.  

So.

This still leaves us with a disconnect between weapons definition in Warframe and real weapons. In WF, everything is divided into primary, secondary, and melee. In our world, it's a LOT more complicated, with design history, role, ammunition types, political skullduggery, and a host of other influences having a hand in what we call things.

What I meant with the type of ammo does not matter that much is because in warframe we have a BFG like the Opticor using rifle ammo, and a Rocket launcher  like the Ogris using sniper ammo as well as bows (even though it does say bow ammo when you have on equipped), also the dual Grakata uses pistol ammo even though it's literally two normal Grakatas that use rifle ammo, you could argue that it was customized to use lower caliber bullets, but still I think it's more of a game logic situation than it is actually meaningful.