Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Potential Octavia Augments

-AoN-CanoLathra-

So, while I was playing around with Octavia recently, I realized some of her powers, while powerful, are just downright annoying. Her Resonator, for instance, moves Mallet away from Amp and makes enemies stop shooting Mallet, and her abilities in general remind me more of AdVenture Capitalist than of Warframe. So, I came up with 4 augment mods to fix a few annoyances (since tweaks and reworks are a long way away).

Continuous Rhythm - Mallet augment

Adds 0.1/0.2/0.3/0.4 seconds to the duration of Mallet per enemy killed by Mallet. Capped at 2x modded duration, affected by Power Duration. (I.E. with 200% duration, Mallet would gain 0.8 seconds per enemy and have a max duration of 80 seconds at max rank)

Luring Resonance - Resonator augment

Resonator no longer picks up Mallet. Resonator now seeks out up to 5/10/15/20 enemies, and then lures them back to Mallet. When these enemies are in range of Mallet, Resonator releases them and seeks out new targets.

Recurring Pattern - Metronome augment

Adds 1/2/3/4 seconds to the duration of Metronome every time an ally gains a Metronome buff (Opera, Vivace, Forte, and Nocturne). Only applies to Metronome; does not apply to buff granted by Metronome. Capped at 2x modded duration, affected by Power Duration.

Reverb - Amp augment

Adds 0.25/0.5/0.75/1 seconds of duration to Amp per 25 energy spent on powers by allies affected by Amp. Capped at 2x modded duration, affected by Power Duration.

The basic idea behind the augments is to reward Octavia for working with the party and for doing what her abilities are made to do. They may seem powerful, but since they do not directly increase the damage or effect of the abilities, I feel they merely add an extra layer of interaction and depth instead of her being a "Timer Maintenance" frame.

Edited by -AoN-CanoLathra-

*appears in a cloud of smoke*
*coughs desperately*

Wait what. Why was I summoned? 

6 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Ok, I hate to do this, but after 3 augment topics, all of which have received no replies and only a few views,

Oh, I feel you there, I used to make Equinox related threads. Oh well, least I can do is offer some feedback even though I don't understand why you believe I'm qualified to do so.

Well, first and foremost, I have to mention I honestly believe Octavia is both grossly overpowered and boring as all hell. With that - and the fact that augments shouldn't be band-aid fixes - my comments might be a bit more negative than average. Just a bit.

Anyway: while I overall thing the augments you propose are pretty ok - specially since I personally enjoy the "extend X thing of the ability by doing Y action" archetype - they are mostly... unoriginal: they are kinda the same augment for different abilities.
The only true exception is the Resonator one, which, though I find quite interesting, taking into account how ludicrously overpowered Mallet is both as a CC ability and as a damage dealing one, I'd rather not have it directly buffed - as the Resonator augment would do. Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable replacement in mind.

This criticism also applies to Mallet Augment: it gives more power to an ability I already find ludicrously overpowered. I think something more support-oriented would be a better idea - perhaps allies who enter Mallet's range are cleansed of Status effects?

That said, I also think that the Metronome Augment is actually not good enough - Metronome, for all its utility, is somewhat subpar as a team support ability, so I think it's augment should focus more on this aspect. No point on boosting something that is already pretty ok when you can add other, more needed, functionalities. Which mean I personally think something like "Allies successfully gaining a metronome buff reset the duration of all buffs on all affected teammates" would be a better augment. That way, it incentivises and eases team play and coordination.

Reverb augment could also use some numerical buffs - maybe up it to 2 seconds or something per 25 energy spent. 

56 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Ok, I hate to do this, but after 3 augment topics, all of which have received no replies and only a few views, I'm a little annoyed. So, here it goes:

[...]

Even just a "F U Dotn abbuse mentions again" would be fine. At least then I would know someone has taken the time to read it.

I've read through all of it, but as @tnccs215 mentioned, it didn't stand out to me. If anything, this works against some of the existing mechanics, improving in the wrong direction. Octavias passive incentives using her abilites more, rather than less. I'm also not sure wether any augment should be proposed for her is currently a good idea, as it's an ability that works against her mallet atm.

If it eases your pain, no one replied to my Titania Augment proposals as well.

25 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

Wait what. Why was I summoned? 

Because your name happens to be one I remember as someone who can string together an intelligible sentence. We seem to be a rare breed on this forum.

Thanks for your feedback. It seems that augment topics in general aren't touched with a ten foot pole around here.

Feel free to summon me next time you make one.

2 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Because your name happens to be one I remember as someone who can string together an intelligible sentence. We seem to be a rare breed on this forum.

*blushes* I'm flattered.

Yeah, augment propositions aren't very popular around here. Im not very amazed tbh - they seem so... inconsequencial. I see augment propositions form time to time, but yeah, reworks and so are the main focus of everyone.

Don't be amazed if I nag you with Equinox some day.

1 hour ago, tnccs215 said:

*blushes* I'm flattered.

Yeah, augment propositions aren't very popular around here. Im not very amazed tbh - they seem so... inconsequencial. I see augment propositions form time to time, but yeah, reworks and so are the main focus of everyone.

Don't be amazed if I nag you with Equinox some day.

Go Ahead

Well, shet, so it's not only me who's sitting on the "Isle of Woe" when it comes to shareing ideas, eh? I mean, minus mine being an overblown collection of mismatched parts of course. Have you tried the Discord? I'd suggest the Reddit, but, I haven't heard kind words uttered about it.

1 hour ago, tnccs215 said:

Waaaaaaait a second - didn't I went through a horribly long ramble on a thread about Equinox in which you participated in/were the OP? 

Maybe. That might be where I remember you from.

EDIT: Yep. Here it is:

EDIT2: I have no idea why my Glyph is that big. Looks like another forum bug.

Edited by -AoN-CanoLathra-

16 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Maybe. That might be where I remember you from.

EDIT: Yep. Here it is:

EDIT2: I have no idea why my Glyph is that big. Looks like another forum bug.

Yep, exactly that one. 

And its probably the new functionality that makes better embedded for each type of stuff 

17 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

So, while I was playing around with Octavia recently, I realized some of her powers, while powerful, are just downright annoying. Her Resonator, for instance, moves Mallet away from Amp and makes enemies stop shooting Mallet, and her abilities in general remind me more of AdVenture Capitalist than of Warframe. So, I came up with 4 augment mods to fix a few annoyances (since tweaks and reworks are a long way away).

Adds 0.1/0.2/0.3/0.4 seconds to the duration of Mallet per enemy killed by Mallet. Capped at 2x modded duration, affected by Power Duration. (I.E. with 200% duration, Mallet would gain 0.8 seconds per enemy and have a max duration of 80 seconds at max rank)

Resonator no longer picks up Mallet. Resonator now seeks out up to 5/10/15/20 enemies, and then lures them back to Mallet. When these enemies are in range of Mallet, Resonator releases them and seeks out new targets.

Adds 1/2/3/4 seconds to the duration of Metronome every time an ally gains a Metronome buff (Opera, Vivace, Forte, and Nocturne). Only applies to Metronome; does not apply to buff granted by Metronome. Capped at 2x modded duration, affected by Power Duration.

Reverb - Amp augment

Adds 0.25/0.5/0.75/1 seconds of duration to Amp per 25 energy spent on powers by allies affected by Amp. Capped at 2x modded duration, affected by Power Duration.

The basic idea behind the augments is to reward Octavia for working with the party and for doing what her abilities are made to do. They may seem powerful, but since they do not directly increase the damage or effect of the abilities, I feel they merely add an extra layer of interaction and depth instead of her being a "Timer Maintenance" frame.

I think you have some interesting ideas, and you have the right idea behind the main issue -- that she is basically the timer maintenance frame, despite all the interesting things she can do. 

However, I fear a couple of the augments you suggested don't really change that, they just make it a little easier to maintain her timers. Which frees her up to do some more stuff weapon-wise, yes, but overall her main thing is still keeping up her timers. 

I really like your augment for Resonator though -- I think that's a good idea, and something like that could be a way to make Resonator at least somewhat useful or used before the many years we will probably see before Scott gives her any kind of real look. In fact, I really like the idea. Octavia's roller is supposed to be like the pied piper, but at least how I was always told the legend, the pied piper doesn't just lead people randomly astray, he leads them... to their DOOM. 

On the one for Amp, I like the basic idea behind how it activates, but I'm not sure just adding more duration is the right way to go. How about on the one for Amp, not necessarily a set amount of energy, but casting a spell makes the amp field "pulse" and briefly stun enemies caught within, the more energy spent the longer the duration/effect of the stun, stun would be able to have duration refreshed but not stacked, or something like that. IDK. 

Not sure about Metronome, as again, we are just looking at more duration. I do agree it would be nice for allies to use the buffs more, especially invis, but I think a lot of the time people don't even know how to activate most of them (most people just know the crouching one, if anything). What about an augment were Octavia gaining a buff in Metronome would grant the buff to all nearby allies, but at reduced duration or something? If they know what they are doing they could still activate it themselves for the full effect, but this would allow Octavia to make sure allies who don't know how her buffs work still get something out of Metronome, and give her something more to do (trying to constantly keep all the buff actions fulfilled). Sure there's still some timer management there, but it feels much more interactive and would give her more reason to be doing things besides dancing in between durations. 

Also, the reason you are probably not getting much feedback is because this is in fan concepts which very few people read. I will be honest, if this was in Warframe and abilities feedback or general I probably would have found it on my own. However, I don't fault you for putting it here either. I have seen mods move threads about augments to fan concepts before and it always drives me crazy. I understand they think it is the right place and maybe that's what they've been told, but IMO it really fits better with warframe and abilities feedback, and no one sees it here. It might as well be locked when a thread gets moved here or to OT, because no one reads those sections of the forums. 

And I don't see how it is exactly "fan concept" as most augment mod ideas are really meant to augment/fix/change an existing ability, not create an entirely new concept within the game. Most augments are pretty derivative of the actual powers themselves, and not entirely new ideas -- or they would be wholly new abilities. And even then, reworks suggestions go in warframe and abilities feedback, so why not augments as well? IDK. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

1 hour ago, Tesseract7777 said:
19 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Reverb - Amp augment

I think you have some interesting ideas, and you have the right idea behind the main issue -- that she is basically the timer maintenance frame, despite all the interesting things she can do. 

However, I fear a couple of the augments you suggested don't really change that, they just make it a little easier to maintain her timers. Which frees her up to do some more stuff weapon-wise, yes, but overall her main thing is still keeping up her timers. 

I really like your augment for Resonator though -- I think that's a good idea, and something like that could be a way to make Resonator at least somewhat useful or used before the many years we will probably see before Scott gives her any kind of real look. In fact, I really like the idea. Octavia's roller is supposed to be like the pied piper, but at least how I was always told the legend, the pied piper doesn't just lead people randomly astray, he leads them... to their DOOM. 

On the one for Amp, I like the basic idea behind how it activates, but I'm not sure just adding more duration is the right way to go. How about on the one for Amp, not necessarily a set amount of energy, but casting a spell makes the amp field "pulse" and briefly stun enemies caught within, the more energy spent the longer the duration/effect of the stun, stun would be able to have duration refreshed but not stacked, or something like that. IDK. 

Not sure about Metronome, as again, we are just looking at more duration. I do agree it would be nice for allies to use the buffs more, especially invis, but I think a lot of the time people don't even know how to activate most of them (most people just know the crouching one, if anything). What about an augment were Octavia gaining a buff in Metronome would grant the buff to all nearby allies, but at reduced duration or something? If they know what they are doing they could still activate it themselves for the full effect, but this would allow Octavia to make sure allies who don't know how her buffs work still get something out of Metronome, and give her something more to do (trying to constantly keep all the buff actions fulfilled). Sure there's still some timer management there, but it feels much more interactive and would give her more reason to be doing things besides dancing in between durations. 

Also, the reason you are probably not getting much feedback is because this is in fan concepts which very few people read. I will be honest, if this was in Warframe and abilities feedback or general I probably would have found it on my own. However, I don't fault you for putting it here either. I have seen mods move threads about augments to fan concepts before and it always drives me crazy. I understand they think it is the right place and maybe that's what they've been told, but IMO it really fits better with warframe and abilities feedback, and no one sees it here. It might as well be locked when a thread gets moved here or to OT, because no one reads those sections of the forums. 

And I don't see how it is exactly "fan concept" as most augment mod ideas are really meant to augment/fix/change an existing ability, not create an entirely new concept within the game. Most augments are pretty derivative of the actual powers themselves, and not entirely new ideas -- or they would be wholly new abilities. And even then, reworks suggestions go in warframe and abilities feedback, so why not augments as well? IDK. 

Thanks for showing up!

As for the problem of nobody reading the Fan Concepts forum, I mostly agree. I would just like to know why there typically wind up being 5-10 comments and a few hundred views on absolutely terrible Warframe concepts, but weapon and augment concepts are largely ignored. #smh

As for your comments on the augments themselves; yes, they don't really remove the timer maintenance problem. And I do like your idea for Amp. Maybe call it Staggering Sound or something like that. As for Metronome, though, I don't see how that would help much. It would only intensify the timer maintenance aspect of her, and not at all help drive the support aspect of it, as your entire time would be spent just trying to keep those up on your allies. Also, I can typically sync up to an Octavia for Forte and Opera as well as Nocturne, if the Octavia has a good song with an easy beat. However, with any amount of host-client lag, it becomes nigh impossible, which I feel is more of a bug and less of something to bandaid with an augment.

However, I can admit your point about Amp and Metronome not necessarily needing more/continuous duration. After all, they don't build up over time, like Mallet does.

[rant]

Also, my Resonator augment, or something similar, should be base ability, not another bandaid. As it stands right now, Resonator actually hurts Octavia's damage output in exchange for a short-range, unpredictable, unreliable CC. That is not an acceptable trade-off, and yet DE seems unconcerned simply because she is already 'powerful enough'.

[/rant]

But I guess I should have put that in the OP and not here in a reply to you.

I think you may be right on Metronome, I may not have thought that through well enough. However, I feel like Metronome augment should do more than duration, something more special, idk. Change up the way it works a little bit, or add something to the different buffs. Augments do lots of different things, but the idea behind them was already to change how the ability works sort of, give you a different way to use it. Metronome is difficult because it's so complicated and does so many things, so how do you make an augment for it? That's a tricky one. 

The Mallet augment is something I could see DE doing, but it still feels like it doesn't quite do enough -- it just feels a little bland. Maybe add a little more to what that one does? I wish I had better specific ideas though. 

I do agree that something similar to the augment should be a part of Resonator, but I feel that's something they will never listen to any of us on, or if they do, it will absurdly far down the road. For that reason, I wouldn't mind an augment in the meantime to deal with the issues with Resonator + Mallet. I don't really like band aids in general, but it could be years before they look at Octavia's base abilities again. I think there are a lot of augments that should really be rolled into abilities, and then the abilities should be given new augments. Some augments are also just way too underpowered or useless. Overall, they need to do an augment audit on the entire set of all of them thus far released. 

Also, I think it is because fan concepts already gets little traffic, and most people who come to this forum are mostly just looking for new frames that are interesting, possibly with accompanying artwork. I wish people were better at giving feedback in general. Sometimes I write really nicely tuned reworks or suggestions or augment ideas in the warframe section, where stuff is more visible, and I get a handful of replies at most. Hopefully the devs are reading it at least, we can only hope!

1 hour ago, Tesseract7777 said:

The Mallet augment is something I could see DE doing, but it still feels like it doesn't quite do enough -- it just feels a little bland. Maybe add a little more to what that one does? I wish I had better specific ideas though. 

I didn't want to make the Mallet augment do to much since it is already one of the most powerful abilities in the game. I simply wanted to lessen the impact of the timer, both the loss of all of the built-up damage, and the need to constantly pay attention to the bottom right corner of your screen.

I did think of a few alternate augments for Mallet:

Final Note - Mallet augment

Mallet deals 25%/50%/75%/100% of damage dealt to it (throughout its duration) to all enemies in range when it expires. Must expire naturally (no recasts) to trigger. Affected by Power Strength.

This would be a high risk-vs-reward augment, as you would have to perfectly time it to make it work. Not entirely sure it would be good, but it was an idea.

Sustained Rhythm - Mallet augment

When recast, Mallet deploys with 25%/50%/75%/100% of the per-tic damage of the previous Mallet. Mallet must be recast while active to apply this effect. Not affected by any Power stats.

This one would be more reliable than the augment in my OP, as it would not depend on a steady stream of enemies to keep Mallet's damage, but would require the same level of timer management as the base ability, possibly more. That said, It would allow you to move a high-damage mallet to a new location, which would be useful for Mobile Defense or Uranus/Ceres Defense or any Interception.

• 1 month later...

Octavia she should be able to toss out and have two Mallets active at a time both mallets shear damage that was inflicted by enemies this will stack in Dps on enemies when beside each other and have Resonator only pick up one mallet at a time and do a jump attack like the roller enemy and Metronome should also affect teammates if you have Amp active and perform actions giving buffs to everyone Amp should also increase the charming range of Resonator and range of Mallet while amplifing a damage buff for her and her team 

as for a Octavia Mods have the little ball she throws out at the start of her abilities for Mallet, Resonator and Amp explode at the end of her abilities dealing high damage to close by enemies and call it something like Finale 

another can be the more enemies killed within Amp increase the duration of buffs for Metronome aswell as all other Warframe team buffs and self buffs when used by a percentage depending on how many enemies killed within Amp have that be called Encore 

and lastly for every well time action in Metronome gives a small health and energy boost for you it can also work on your teammates if Amp is used but all by a percentage if you use the same action more then once percentage drops if you use different actions percentage rises can be called Harmony or Euphony 

second mallet plays its original mandachord beat but backwards 

it also would be cool if you can stand on the Resonator to get it to stay still 

Edited by (PS4)AwakenTenno