Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do i have a bottleneck? or my PC Hardware Config is okay for warframe?

Aenris

Question

So, i'm basically thinking that my pc has something "wrong" with it. Either poor hardware picking, or i'm just being paranoid. But i'd like to know what should i change asap to get warframe running smoother. This is my computer:

-Motherboard: Gygabyte GA-78LMT-S2  ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-10#ov )
-CPU: AMD FX-6300 (http://products.amd.com/es-xl/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-6-Core-Black-Edition/FX-6300/136)
-RAM : Kingston 8GB (single stick)
-Graphics Card : XFX AMD Radeon R7 250x http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-250x-core-edition-r7-250x-cgf4
-Power supply: Sentey 600W

I'm actually running it at 1600x800 (even if my monitor can do 1080p), with 30-40ish fps on LOW. Sometimes a bit more, but never less than 30.

What should i do? some people told me to upgrade RAM, to change the motherboard, the graphic card and even the power supply (up to 750 or 1000 if i can). What would you guys recommend and why?

Thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

I have the same CPU as you, after my old one fried, and I have the most BIZARRE problem with my computer - games like Warframe, ESO, and other graphics-intensive games have terrible stutter and framerate drops ... unless I have Chrome running with Forge of Empires and Clicker Heroes in the background.

I know, it goes against all common sense, but I've actually had the framerate counter running at a nice steady 60 FPS, tabbed out to close Clicker Heroes, dropped to 53 FPS, closed Chrome, FPS dropped to under 40. It makes no sense, but there you have it. Only started after I changed to this CPU.

That's what you get with amd.. Most likely, cpu is the culprit. My old GTX 550Ti was weaker than that R7 250x, yet with core i5 4690k I was able to play comfortably at 1080p (well, almost. I play in a window to see task bar) at around 35-45% load. Those fed by 400 watts. Warframe only uses up to 1.8 Gigs of ram, so 8 is more than enough.

Thank you everybody for your opinions.

What GPU would you guys recommend? i'm from Argentina, so it's pretty hard for me to buy stuff you might consider "normal" on prices (seriously, things here have tons of taxes and i might have to eat rice for a month to afford a budget card)

I have the same AMD CPU as you do. (I got it because the overclock potential of that specific CPU is insane.)  16 gigs of ram instead of 8, but 8 should be fine for you.  What is really the bottleneck on your PC is the video card.  That specific one you have (Radeon R7 250) is quite under powered compared to more current Radeon models.  Upgrading you video card would resolve all your issues.  If you prefer to stay AMD/ATI, the Radeon RX 470 4 gb ram. It gives very good performance for the cost.  It's what I have and it handles both Warframe, Nier: Automata, Forza Horizon 3 all at 1080p at no less than 60 fps. 

You can also go the Nvidia route, but I don't know which model to recommend to you.   

Everything else you have to good to go. 

Spoiler

Although personally I feel the Gigabyte mobo is suspect as I've had better long term satisfaction with MSI.  That's just my personal preference and your could defer.  :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
grammar

1 hour ago, Arandabido said:

This is my computer:

Silly question but you are using a 64bit OS right?  Because 90% of your specs will not matter if you are on 32bit.

I know this from experience playing for 2 years on windows vista 32bit.  I managed to get windows 7 onto the same machine for about  half a year before the pc suddenly froze and errored every time I booted up.  

When I ran on win7 warframe was fine, when I was forced back onto vista 32bit, the same specs resulted in severe quality reduction.

That said, I played the game just fine with 20 - 30fps on low graphics.  I had no severe lag issues or problems rendering graphics even on 32bit, even if all the graphics were not the crystal clear perfection of top machines.

Either way I'd suggest getting either 2 4gb chips or another 8gb chip.  I'm pretty sure MB's handle the load better when there are two chips installed.

That's probably the cheapest upgrade you can do if money is an issue.

Edited by Xekrin

On 21/7/2017 at 1:13 PM, DatDarkOne said:

I have the same AMD CPU as you do. (I got it because the overclock potential of that specific CPU is insane.)  16 gigs of ram instead of 8, but 8 should be fine for you.  What is really the bottleneck on your PC is the video card.  That specific one you have (Radeon R7 250) is quite under powered compared to more current Radeon models.  Upgrading you video card would resolve all your issues.  If you prefer to stay AMD/ATI, the Radeon RX 470 4 gb ram. It gives very good performance for the cost.  It's what I have and it handles both Warframe, Nier: Automata, Forza Horizon 3 all at 1080p at no less than 60 fps. 

You can also go the Nvidia route, but I don't know which model to recommend to you.   

Everything else you have to good to go. 

Hide contents

Although personally I feel the Gigabyte mobo is suspect as I've had better long term satisfaction with MSI.  That's just my personal preference and your could defer.  :D

I personally think that my gigabyte may be causing trouble too. So yeah, i wanna replace it soon. (Also, it doesn't have USB 3.0, and sometimes i kinda needed for Audio recording and stuff). Thanks for your observations! i'll probably move to Nvidia, to have those nice extra particles effects :)

On 21/7/2017 at 1:26 PM, Xekrin said:

Silly question but you are using a 64bit OS right?  Because 90% of your specs will not matter if you are on 32bit.

I know this from experience playing for 2 years on windows vista 32bit.  I managed to get windows 7 onto the same machine for about  half a year before the pc suddenly froze and errored every time I booted up.  

When I ran on win7 warframe was fine, when I was forced back onto vista 32bit, the same specs resulted in severe quality reduction.

That said, I played the game just fine with 20 - 30fps on low graphics.  I had no severe lag issues or problems rendering graphics even on 32bit, even if all the graphics were not the crystal clear perfection of top machines.

Either way I'd suggest getting either 2 4gb chips or another 8gb chip.  I'm pretty sure MB's handle the load better when there are two chips installed.

That's probably the cheapest upgrade you can do if money is an issue.

Yep! i'm on a Windows 10 64-bit OS. Perhaps i should capitalize on that to upgrade the RAM as you said (a pair of HyperX will surely make some difference too, apart from the video card)

Thanks for your opinions, i'll take the Videocard upgrade route! :)

On 7/21/2017 at 9:45 AM, Arandabido said:

So, i'm basically thinking that my pc has something "wrong" with it. Either poor hardware picking, or i'm just being paranoid. But i'd like to know what should i change asap to get warframe running smoother. This is my computer:

-Motherboard: Gygabyte GA-78LMT-S2  ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-10#ov )
-CPU: AMD FX-6300 (http://products.amd.com/es-xl/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-6-Core-Black-Edition/FX-6300/136)
-RAM : Kingston 8GB (single stick)
-Graphics Card : XFX AMD Radeon R7 250x http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-250x-core-edition-r7-250x-cgf4
-Power supply: Sentey 600W

I'm actually running it at 1600x800 (even if my monitor can do 1080p), with 30-40ish fps on LOW. Sometimes a bit more, but never less than 30.

What should i do? some people told me to upgrade RAM, to change the motherboard, the graphic card and even the power supply (up to 750 or 1000 if i can). What would you guys recommend and why?

Thanks in advance

Little surprised thats having issues with Warframe on minimum settings.   That GPU is the rough equivalent of the AMD APU graphics on the A10 series.   Up to a few updates ago, albeit it badly, I was able to play on an A4 APU laptop.    A good cheap upgrade would be an RX460/560 if you prefer AMD or a GTX1050 if you prefer Nvidia cards.  Ideally a 4gb model, but a 2gb is fine as well.   Not sure what they run for you price wise, in the US they are around $100.  If you have a second hand market, a GTX 950/750Ti would be good options as well for sub $100 options.  There are 75W versions that do not need a power plug as well and just run off of motherboard power.   Nothing wrong with the rest of your set up for 1080 and under gaming. 

And, if later on your CPU does become an issue, you can just upgrade that to an 8000 series or something along those lines to extend the life of your system until you are ready to upgrade.   As well as adding 8gb of ram if able.