Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban's Inferior Ultimate

Shockwave44

Yeah... Vortex and useless.

It is one of the few ultimates, that affect high lvl enemies in the same way as low lvl enemies.

Saryn & friends cannot kill high lvl enemies with 1 ultimate, Vauban however can suck the high lvl enemies inside the Vortex, as well as low lvl enemies.

Vauban is one of the most useful frames.

...yeah, because Volt's ultimate really clears the room instantly. Wait, hold on to that thought... no, it doesn't. Similar to Banshee's Ult, they barely scratch anything more powerful than  the basic foot soldier.

Vauban's ult at the very least concentrates everything in one location so you can smack the fu** out of them with a single charged attack or two...or the Torid ;D Even if his ult is not instantly killing everything, or maybe less powerful than the Ult of the other frames, you can't deny that overall his skills are VERY powerful. There's some balance in there to make sure he's not the One Frame to rule them all.

Then you didn't read what I wrote. The pictures should be enough though.

Your entire point is butthurt whining about how other players - more offensive frames at that - are killing faster. What, should I as a loki player start complaining that mag's ult is killing more effectively? In fact, I'm pretty sure that singularity does more damage than radial disarm in general.

Singularity is really useful in high level play because it lets you group up enemies for easier nuking. It's also useful because it's persistent for a few seconds, allowing you to lock down an entire approach. Does it do as much damage as nova/rhino/etcetcetc? No. But what Saryn, say, gets in massive burst damage, she loses in versatility. Once she's blown her load with miasma against one group of enemies, any enemies that show up to the party late escape unharmed unless she casts again.

Yeah... Vortex and useless.

It is one of the few ultimates, that affect high lvl enemies in the same way as low lvl enemies.

Saryn & friends cannot kill high lvl enemies with 1 ultimate, Vauban however can suck the high lvl enemies inside the Vortex, as well as low lvl enemies.

Vauban is one of the most useful frames.

I get that it works at higher levels. I do.

However, there aren't enough high level defense maps to justify this.

I haven't seen a good reason to use vauban from wave 1 - 20. And 20 waves is a long time.

Your entire point is butthurt whining about how other players - more offensive frames at that - are killing faster. What, should I as a loki player start complaining that mag's ult is killing more effectively? In fact, I'm pretty sure that singularity does more damage than radial disarm in general.

Singularity is really useful in high level play because it lets you group up enemies for easier nuking. It's also useful because it's persistent for a few seconds, allowing you to lock down an entire approach. Does it do as much damage as nova/rhino/etcetcetc? No. But what Saryn, say, gets in massive burst damage, she loses in versatility. Once she's blown her load with miasma against one group of enemies, any enemies that show up to the party late escape unharmed unless she casts again.

You're the first one to use butthurt, congrats, even though you're way off base.

Give me a good reason to use vauban in the first 20 waves.

Edited by Shockwave44

I get that it works at higher levels. I do.

However, there aren't enough high level defense maps to justify this.

I haven't seen a good reason to use vauban from wave 1 - 20. And 20 waves is a long time.

Ever tried Void T3?

There are enough high lvl maps.

Also nightmare mode.

Strange to start a thread about how a frame has limited use during the easy parts of the game dontcha think?? Only reason to use an ult in the first easy waves is to maybe make them go slightly faster I guess?? not sure that's a valid enough complaint to spark any dev interest/rework....most frames complaints are about end game viability not crushing easy mode.

You're the first one to use butthurt, congrats, even though you're way off base.

Of course I am. I call it as I see it, and this is pretty clearly butthurt whining born from not understanding that Vauban's role isn't high burst DPS, much as Loki's role isn't damage in general.

Again, by your reasoning, Loki players should be complaining that radial disarm does the lowest damage of nearly every other ult in the game even though its effect is absolutely amazing in high level defense.

Bastille. Done. Also tesla grenades are great for zapping stragglers who make it through your lines in early waves.

Indeed, Vauban is pretty much essential for T3 defense, and merely "ridiculously useful" for every other defense. Having two powers which lock down the enemy for a long time, one of which gathers up all the loot for easy collection and does a fair bit of damage as a bonus is immensely valuable when trying to defend a pod.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

You are judging an ability ONLY by defense, which makes your post somewhat invalid, try using Vortex in Exterminate or Sabotage, try using it on bosses too, then come back to us.

Are you serious? You take the Combat Engineer of the game onto the front lines and expect that you'll be able to kill things instantly? Combat Engineers are support combatants. His ultimate represents this. You want to know why one of those frames runs in to kill all those things? Because you've provided them with an opening to do so. I'm not saying that Vauban can't do damage, I'm saying that many of his abilities are very useful support skills.

Vortex has been nerfed twice without notice or explanation by DE.

DE has yet to even acknowledge there is a problem with the damage as far as I've read.

In fact, DE has been pretty tight lipped in regards to intended mechanics for Vauban's abilities at all. You all say toss a rocket into vortex.. Ok, so what if that's a Unintentional effect of vortex and it gets fixed? what then?

]

Vortex's original form did about 180-200 dmg per tick to whatever it pulled (with focus BTW). AND AND AND!!!! it did not do that bullS#&$ anti gravity donkyS#&$ that it does now.

That sounds about right in my book, nothing ZOMG batS#&$ crazy like a compounding antimatter chain that nova can do right now

You're missing the point. It's not making it easier for them. Look at the ember picture. The enemies are dead long before they even get to the vortex.

What is the complaint about then, exactly? The player used a poorly-timed Vortex when it wasn't needed, and as a result a different frame's ulti overrode it. That has nothing to do with the warframe's ability, and everything to do with poor timing of the player.

At higher levels the ember wouldn't be able to kill a crowd even with overheat *and* WoF, and in situations like that having enemies caught in Vauban's bastille or vortex is a huge plus for the Ember, or any other frame. So is OP complaining that the level he used vortex on is too low to be of use, since other frames can just use their ulti in front of Vortex?

I still fail to see a reasonable complaint from the OP.

Without comparing him to other warframes, the vortex is pretty fun to use and is quite effective.

Now bring in the Nova, Mag, Ember, Volt, Saryn, and Rhino, the Vauban quickly becomes worthless.

Ig1E2SL.png?1

In all seriousness, utility is MUCH superior than damage when enemies are over 80. Vauban's Teslas stuns, his Bastile is a huge crowd control skill, and his ultimate absolutely wrecks choke-points. Heck most "top-tier" frames only have 1 or 2 notable skills, such as Saryn for her ultimate and maybe Molt, Banshee for ultimate and Sonar, Frost for globe, and Nyx for Chaos.

Edit : Ember's ultimate actually good? Ember's only saving grace is her Overheat for great tankiness. All her other skills are worthless against lv100+ enemies. Volt? Speed for rushing and energy shield for single target focusing. His ultimate isn't worth a mention. And Mag is still quite lackluster, although her ultimate has a short stun. In fact, using anybody's ultimate for damage aside from Nova and Saryn late game (against tier 3 Void or lv100+ enemies) is a joke.

Edited by RebornsAlmark

No... I didn't, nice try though.

I have to spell it out for you apparently. Why use Vauban when someone like ember can engulf the entire room?

OH YOU DIDN'T. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Oh wait no you're still ridiculously clueless.

Here's an honest answer: because enemies get harder.

I didnt complain about vortex stealth nerf cuz i knew everybody would jump on the hes fine bandwagon. But yea it got an unecessary nerf like memnarch said.

Right now it does about 260 damage over time (before was 25 hundred) it should be at least doing 1k over time. (In a small fixed area)

You've got to be kidding me. Just because mag can instantly wipe a wave of lvl 10 mobs on kiliken (I'm guessing that's where you are judging by the tile set and xp numbers) doesn't mean her ult is better than Vauban's. Same thing with any damage ult. I'm glad his ult doesn't kill things, that's one less frame that's "press 4 to kill everything".

What is the complaint about then, exactly? The player used a poorly-timed Vortex when it wasn't needed, and as a result a different frame's ulti overrode it. That has nothing to do with the warframe's ability, and everything to do with poor timing of the player.

At higher levels the ember wouldn't be able to kill a crowd even with overheat *and* WoF, and in situations like that having enemies caught in Vauban's bastille or vortex is a huge plus for the Ember, or any other frame. So is OP complaining that the level he used vortex on is too low to be of use, since other frames can just use their ulti in front of Vortex?

I still fail to see a reasonable complaint from the OP.

Also this.

An ultimate that just "buys time" is very underwhelming.

Hm...I now have the urge to ask, what's the farthest wave you've hit in a T3 defense mission?

Regardless, Vortex is no longer meant to be a damage ability (given the nerf). It still has uses, and they becomes invaluable when utility starts to outweigh damage. So yes, you will have to wait a few waves.

If you're going to keep playing Vauban, you need to open your mind and realize that low damage/area does not mean something is useless.

Change the way you think on the battlefield. Quit getting frustrated that your allies kill something faster. Your time will come in Defense. You just have to have patience.

I've been using Vauban for a while now and I'm really getting tired of what you're describing here, it happens almost every time I use a Vortex now, ppl come up and "leech" the bundled up enemies.

Soon my Nova is ready and then I'll have a new fav frame, gf Vaub.