Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stop Walking Forward When Rapidly Melee-Ing!

Fortune_Silver

I cant be the only one who gets irritated by this. your trying to slash some poor sucker to death, but your character keeps trying to stab his way straight past your intended target. granted, with some of the heavy weapons, this is less of an issue, and enemies that can be killed in one hit aren't that bad either. but try using fangs with max fury on a heavy grineer. you end up walking in circles just to keep hitting your target

Thus, I suggest (and I really hope some DE staff see this and take note) that moving a step forward during melee animations be removed.

If I wanted to walk forwards AND melee, I'd just hold down W

Thoughts?

A thread was just made about this...

Correction: Dozens of threads have been made about this.

Cereally, it's kinda of a cripplingly huge issue with normal melee attacks that pretty much renders normal melee on faster weapons completely unusable. I really am surprised it hasn't been addressed yet.

Although, if it hasn't been fixed yet, surely there is some reason for it. But if there is, I have not heard what it is from any source.

New melee 'lunging' is a pain. Just try to slice one of the green grineer storage trunks open with a sword. You will continuously lunge at it, miss, and wind up ON-TOP of the container. 

I just don't see what was so horrifically wrong with the old melee system, where you stood still as you swung. This new one makes it nearly impossible to gauge where you're hits are going to land. 

It's such a pain when you try to cut the containers in Grineer missions in particular, because, as a Rhino trying to get my Skana to rank 30, so I can just forget about it and toss the thing out an airlock for a better weapon, I want to break containers with my sword; not waste bullets on them. When the animation is causing me to CONSTANTLY miss the container, and end up past it, to one side of it, or even on top of the damn thing, unless I spend a few seconds getting myself the perfect distance away, often still missing because I was a centimeter off, it gets frustrating. I /hate/ wasting ammunition, especially on things that, as far as I can tell, don't contribute to your accuracy rating, and more importantly, don't shoot or hit back.

This problem has been brought up before, but for some reason hasn't been fixed. It should. I like melee and this issue makes my S#&$ boil currently.

Currently it's impossible to keep swinging while standing in one place. I tried holding back button, it didn't work.

I suggest to make a move + melee combo that hits and steps in that direction. Hitting melee button by itself would keep the character in the same place, so people could do both things depending on situation.

Edited by Grinbringer

I hate trying to break the grineer chests open with a one-handed weapon. I swing, my character steps ontop of the stupid thing and it doesn't get broken. So I step off it, swing again, miss again.

*rolls eyes* Seriously?

I hate wasting ammo on chests depending on what guns and what mission I'm in, and jump attacking takes time, sometimes there's enemies still in the room (yaknow because they're constantly respawning?)..

They could at least make it so that the chests' hitboxes are larger so that the character can't step up onto them without jumping up onto them.

This will hurt heavy weapons though especially people using heavy weapons like hate, where moving while meeling is a prominent method of taking down hordes.

What I'd do is, hold up key while pressing down key while hitting. Try it, it works wonders. 

Edited by Harem.Incubi

This will hurt heavy weapons though especially people using heavy weapons like hate, where moving while meeling is a prominent method of taking down hordes.

What I'd do is, hold up key while pressing down key while hitting. Try it, it works wonders. 

We're not asking them to prevent us from moving while meleeing, we're asking them to let us stand still while meleeing if we don't hit any buttons at all.

Example:

W + E = Step Forward and Melee.

E = Melee while standing in place.

S + E = Step Backward and Melee.

How hard can that possibly be?

If I wanted to move forward while swinging, I'd hit the Forward key. Simple as that.

Now, I have to strafe circles around something I'm trying to kill, and to other people this looks like WoW PvP with two guys circling each other meleeing and it is very distracting and dizzying for me to keep spinning my character around to keep something in front of me while hacking at him because my character won't stand freaking STILL while swinging.

Now, I can understand taking a step forward with your leading foot while you swing (the Samurai Swing of the Skana Prime), but usually when someone swings like that, they take a step back after the swing and their rear foot doesn't move during the whole swing, thus they stand in the same place.

In Warframe, however, your character takes a whole step forward which causes you to climb up ontop of grineer chests which is highly annoying.

Edited by Xylia

I have to agree.  I greatly dislike advancing upon melee strikes.  If you want to make the charged strike a lunge, that's fine. I'm usually running when I perform it anyway.

But for basic melee attacks, swinging past your enemy when you had an otherwise accurate strike lined up is annoying.

I agree with OP, we need to have greater control of our characters.

Perhaps remain stationary if you attack while crouching, or some other solution.

On a related note of your character doing things you don't want him doing..

I hate it when my character does a forward roll on landing, I'd love a method of grappling onto a ledge that I'm rolling off of at least.