The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Since warframe is going open world, what if we add vehicles?

Alineah

19 hours ago, Culaio said:

there are games that have both air and land vehices just fine and each has their own roles, MGSV and Ghost Recon Wildlands have these things as well (well, no abilities for either and no mounts for GRW), and it works fine. Helicopters are faster than ground vehicles, but you have a variety of ground vehicle options that you can choose, especially since the harder areas of the map are filled with enemy SAM (surface-to-air-missiles) sites that can easily down a helicopter or plane.

i think you miss my point.

an ARCHWING would tear thro small vehicles.

Just look at a Dreg or a Dargyn...... one hit with archwing melee and its toast..... how would you improve the survivability of the "buggys" to make them worthwhile in owning or even using.

when our archwings have huge armour and shields.

I think its unnecessary tbh.

Level up your archwing more, its far more manoeuvrable  than a jeep. frankly getting into a jeep would be like a death sentence given the skills of our frames and archwings.

you think a jeep or a Mobile SAM site or even a jihadi style battlebus is going to last very long against elytrons 4th ability ? basically a fly by wire tactical nuke with what seems unlimited range......

Honestly folks, you need to use the archwings more.

I know I ain't gonna change ya minds, so i'll just carry on doing what i do and enjoying the sht out of this game :) 

oh and please stop comparing this to destiny.

Destiny WISHES it was as good as Warframe.

What the game needs as far as transport goes, is something like the bikes from Mospeada

Motorbike plus heavy weapons platform in one

EDIT:

Heck, you could have them toting archwing primary weapons, and even archwing style abilities

Edited by WindBlade
addition

6 hours ago, Culaio said:

Its weird to see you say that it doesnt fit the lore saying plains are going to offer us option to fish or mine, so we arent meant to drive vehicles that offer us tactical advantage but we ARE fishers and miners ?

Tactical advantages? Tell me one thing a tank or buggy can do better than an Archwing or Warframe. They're slower, less mobile, have less scouting capability, arguably less offence, and less versatility. A Warframe or Archwing can literally cover any and all roles. Again, this isn't Planetside 2. We have no need for vehicles, because any vehicle they introduce will be automatically inferior to what we already have. It's like owning an Iron Man suit, and preferring to use a rusted, broken 1980 Toyota instead.

As for lore? We aren't fishers/miners. No more than we are warriors, anyways. Those are side tasks that we do, not our main career. I may not be a sailor, but I can still paddle a canoe or white water raft. That doesn't make me a sailor. I can fly a glider, but it doesn't make me a pilot. Similarly, unless we, the Tenno, start large-scale mining/fishing operations on the level of the Grineer, the lore is still preserved.

so it would make sense that some tenno would prefer not to use vehicles with others would use any advantage possible, it is matter of choice.

Again, why use vehicles (at least, lore-wise speaking) when your pre-existing tools are superior? If you have a tool that can do all the things that the other tools can do, at the same time, and do it better, then why bother to use the other tools? From a gameplay perspective, the idea still holds, because no one will actually use a gimmick that is completely inferior in every way, and is just annoying the relatively small area that is the PoE. 

7 hours ago, SilverRook said:

i think you miss my point.

an ARCHWING would tear thro small vehicles.

Just look at a Dreg or a Dargyn...... one hit with archwing melee and its toast..... how would you improve the survivability of the "buggys" to make them worthwhile in owning or even using.

when our archwings have huge armour and shields.

I think its unnecessary tbh.

Level up your archwing more, its far more manoeuvrable  than a jeep. frankly getting into a jeep would be like a death sentence given the skills of our frames and archwings.

you think a jeep or a Mobile SAM site or even a jihadi style battlebus is going to last very long against elytrons 4th ability ? basically a fly by wire tactical nuke with what seems unlimited range......

Honestly folks, you need to use the archwings more.

I know I ain't gonna change ya minds, so i'll just carry on doing what i do and enjoying the sht out of this game :) 

oh and please stop comparing this to destiny.

Destiny WISHES it was as good as Warframe.

I think you have missed the part about us not being able to use archwing weapons.

I know more about archwing then most players so dont talk to me about archwings, I have every archwing/archwing weapon and every archwing mod(all leveled), I played archwing then most of community didnt want to touch it, I like archwing and want to see more of it but still want more vehicles

I knew someone would be against destiny....I never played destiny games and yet I believe warframe can be improved with some things from other games inclduing destiny games

7 hours ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Tactical advantages? Tell me one thing a tank or buggy can do better than an Archwing or Warframe. They're slower, less mobile, have less scouting capability, arguably less offence, and less versatility. A Warframe or Archwing can literally cover any and all roles. Again, this isn't Planetside 2. We have no need for vehicles, because any vehicle they introduce will be automatically inferior to what we already have. It's like owning an Iron Man suit, and preferring to use a rusted, broken 1980 Toyota instead.

As for lore? We aren't fishers/miners. No more than we are warriors, anyways. Those are side tasks that we do, not our main career. I may not be a sailor, but I can still paddle a canoe or white water raft. That doesn't make me a sailor. I can fly a glider, but it doesn't make me a pilot. Similarly, unless we, the Tenno, start large-scale mining/fishing operations on the level of the Grineer, the lore is still preserved.

Again, why use vehicles (at least, lore-wise speaking) when your pre-existing tools are superior? If you have a tool that can do all the things that the other tools can do, at the same time, and do it better, then why bother to use the other tools? From a gameplay perspective, the idea still holds, because no one will actually use a gimmick that is completely inferior in every way, and is just annoying the relatively small area that is the PoE. 

Our archwing vehicle will have firepower of single "soldier"(powerful soldier but still), lorewise its explained that archwing weapons are build with being used in zero-G in mind so they cant be handled in planet gravity, so ground vehicles can have easily advantage of much greater firepower then our tenno with or without archwing. also vehicles can be much better armored and last but not least, DE said archwing will be somehow time limited in plains(fuell or something like that) so lack of time limit would also give big advantage to vehicles

7 hours ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

There really shouldn't be vehicles in the game, it just doesn't fit in the game, it wouldn't feel right if it were to be added. I just want my operator to ride my kavat.

You say it doesnt fit the lore but you seem to ignore the fact that DE is working on cruiser-style spaceship for us(new gameplay), so vehicle do fit the lore, well the lore is what DE wants it to be. I remember when people said archwing doesnt fit the lore and now...

10 minutes ago, Culaio said:

lorewise its explained that archwing weapons are build with being used in zero-G in mind so they cant be handled in planet gravity,

It is a poor explanation. Archwings accelerate quite a bit more than 9.81 m/s^2, if we couldn't carry them on the ground or in the air, just moving would rip them out of our hands in space. 

7 minutes ago, Kinetos said:

It is a poor explanation. Archwings accelerate quite a bit more than 9.81 m/s^2, if we couldn't carry them on the ground or in the air, just moving would rip them out of our hands in space. 

That is true, sadly thats explanation DE is using, I personally would want to use archwing weapons in plains since there isnt many places where we can use them sadly.

1 hour ago, Kinetos said:

Orokin tech is BS.  Only they could make a terraforming system that would eventually pull a Skynet and try to kill them.

Before building a techno-organic zombie plague as a counter weapon.

1 hour ago, Culaio said:

so ground vehicles can have easily advantage of much greater firepower then our tenno with or without archwing.

Why though? Practically speaking, we're not fighting a war here. The strongest thing we've ever fought are infantry scale. Tanks or other vehicles are just an unjustified waste of resources that severely hamper us.

1 hour ago, Culaio said:

also vehicles can be much better armored

Not wrong, but when you consider how little mobile most vehicles are in comparison to Warframes/Archwings, they would also be prone to more fire, which we could simply avoid with normal devices.

1 hour ago, Culaio said:

so ground vehicles can have easily advantage of much greater firepower then our tenno with or without archwing.

I’d be a lot more on board with this idea if we were talking about some game other than Warframe. 

The problem with introducing vehicles with more firepower than Warframes is that the firepower of Warframes is ludicrously overkill. Players are so powerful in this game that the only way the devs could introduce any challenge whatsoever was by making the game straight-up cheat (cancelling abilities, flat-out removing your energy pool, unavoidable one-shot kills, and so on and so forth), and you want to give us a tool that has even more firepower? I really don’t think that’s a good idea. 

If we were in any way struggling for power, I might agree with you. But the game quite simply doesn’t need anything more powerful than a Warframe, because Warframes are significantly more powerful than they need to be. 

16 minutes ago, UltimateGrr said:

Orokin tech is BS.  Only they could make a terraforming system that would eventually pull a Skynet and try to kill them.

Before building a techno-organic zombie plague as a counter weapon.

The Orokin were a civilization who, on a scale of 1 to 10, responded to every situation with a 15. 

39 minutes ago, majorchord96 said:

we have archwing for air/water speed, and frames for land speed.

we don't need speed; we need power.

Anyone here remember the original jackal mech from dark sector (prequel to warframe)?

If ever there was a place to have them, it would be here.

Wanting vehicles isn't about needing speed...

11 hours ago, Culaio said:

I know more about archwing then most players so dont talk to me about archwings, I have every archwing/archwing weapon and every archwing mod(all leveled)

lol you just lost your argument right there... *beats chest with fists UGGH UGGH*

yeeeehhhh i think i'll stick to avoiding the forums.

12 hours ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Why though? Practically speaking, we're not fighting a war here. The strongest thing we've ever fought are infantry scale. Tanks or other vehicles are just an unjustified waste of resources that severely hamper us.

Not wrong, but when you consider how little mobile most vehicles are in comparison to Warframes/Archwings, they would also be prone to more fire, which we could simply avoid with normal devices.

12 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

I’d be a lot more on board with this idea if we were talking about some game other than Warframe. 

The problem with introducing vehicles with more firepower than Warframes is that the firepower of Warframes is ludicrously overkill. Players are so powerful in this game that the only way the devs could introduce any challenge whatsoever was by making the game straight-up cheat (cancelling abilities, flat-out removing your energy pool, unavoidable one-shot kills, and so on and so forth), and you want to give us a tool that has even more firepower? I really don’t think that’s a good idea. 

If we were in any way struggling for power, I might agree with you. But the game quite simply doesn’t need anything more powerful than a Warframe, because Warframes are significantly more powerful than they need to be. 

The Orokin were a civilization who, on a scale of 1 to 10, responded to every situation with a 15. 

It seems that with landscapes DE is planing to increase scale of battles in warframe I mean, grineer will be using mortars and turrets to shot you from long range, so this starts to feel like real battle and not just, not just us exterminating the enemy. also as was shown before in this thread , DE seems to work on bigger mechanical enemies(four legged spider like robots), that seem to much larger then standard MOA's, closer to size of vehicle, of course I dont mean we should be able to drive them(but I wouldnt mind that XD), but if enemies will get larger units then it would make sense for us to use vehicles. 

2 hours ago, SilverRook said:

lol you just lost your argument right there... *beats chest with fists UGGH UGGH*

yeeeehhhh i think i'll stick to avoiding the forums.

I have no idea what just happen....

when  many other people wanted archwing removed me and my friend(who I befriended over our shared interest in archwing) were creating threads how to improve archwing, my friend created thread where he collected ideas for archwing missions while I created thread where I collected ideas how to improve mechanics of archwing

my friend thread:

my thread:

threads are pretty old at this point and they are archived since long ago, sadly not that many people back then showed interest in improving archwing :(

The idea of a warframe driving or piloting a vehicle is just ridiculous to be honest. However, I will say that I do want DE to really invest more time and resources into archwing. Archwing is our "vehicle" for warframe, that's it, the one we have, and overall it is underwhelming. I appreciate the additions of submersible and now sky usage, but they are severely lacking. The mod variety for archwing is laughable, there's no customizing "your" build to fit you because there's only one mod for each stat. You don't have to make choices on which stats to prioritize like you do with warframes, guns, melee, and to a lesser extent, even sentinels and companions.

If DE actually invests the time to bring archwing up to its full potential and a worthy aspect of gameplay, then maybe by that point something new like a mutant creature mount for our operator would be welcome. But the current state of archwing tells me that they don't care about non-warframe gameplay.

17 hours ago, Legion-Shields said:

I don't care if Archwings are "better", I want a Warthog because fun factor.

People forget that if they want plains(and other future landscapes) to succeed, it has to be FUN,there is quite a few open world games out there, some of them have something that makes them special, makes them fun and makes people return to them and others lack that something which makes people quickly bored of them, if people only focus on reaching goal's as fast as possible in plains than I am sorry, it will FAIL, plains isnt randomly generated like standard mission so if you focus on speed you will quickly get bored of it, especially since we are supposed to enjoy it for many months(dunno how many) before next landscape comes.

8 hours ago, (PS4)warhero229 said:

The idea of a warframe driving or piloting a vehicle is just ridiculous to be honest. However, I will say that I do want DE to really invest more time and resources into archwing. Archwing is our "vehicle" for warframe, that's it, the one we have, and overall it is underwhelming. I appreciate the additions of submersible and now sky usage, but they are severely lacking. The mod variety for archwing is laughable, there's no customizing "your" build to fit you because there's only one mod for each stat. You don't have to make choices on which stats to prioritize like you do with warframes, guns, melee, and to a lesser extent, even sentinels and companions.

If DE actually invests the time to bring archwing up to its full potential and a worthy aspect of gameplay, then maybe by that point something new like a mutant creature mount for our operator would be welcome. But the current state of archwing tells me that they don't care about non-warframe gameplay.

Oh I do agree that archwing needs to be improved a LOT, I think that DE should look at "dark void" game, which combines ground and jet pack flying missions, here are some videos from it:

at the beginning of the video we see switching between ground and flying combat and at around 1:07 we see how archwing could be used to make maps  more 3 dimensional, with archwing you could add verticality to maps, fighting enemies on side of cliff/wall while you are running up the wall pushed by your archwing(running up the wall instead stupid looking bunny hops)

here are more video's showing off jet pack in game dark void:

and the beginning of this video:

With this in mind, I still think we need more ways to travel the world, like vehicles or "mounts"

3 hours ago, Culaio said:

People forget that if they want plains(and other future landscapes) to succeed, it has to be FUN,there is quite a few open world games out there, some of them have something that makes them special, makes them fun and makes people return to them and others lack that something which makes people quickly bored of them, if people only focus on reaching goal's as fast as possible in plains than I am sorry, it will FAIL, plains isnt randomly generated like standard mission so if you focus on speed you will quickly get bored of it, especially since we are supposed to enjoy it for many months(dunno how many) before next landscape comes.

Oh I do agree that archwing needs to be improved a LOT, I think that DE should look at "dark void" game, which combines ground and jet pack flying missions, here are some videos from it:

at the beginning of the video we see switching between ground and flying combat and at around 1:07 we see how archwing could be used to make maps  more 3 dimensional, with archwing you could add verticality to maps, fighting enemies on side of cliff/wall while you are running up the wall pushed by your archwing(running up the wall instead stupid looking bunny hops)

here are more video's showing off jet pack in game dark void:

and the beginning of this video:

With this in mind, I still think we need more ways to travel the world, like vehicles or "mounts"

Yeah, this is definitely a good example. I do want archwing to become seamlessly integrated into normal gameplay. Submersible does it pretty well but not perfectly. The kuva fortress would be a great spot, you could just jump off the edge somewhere and transition to archwing, then land again to go back to on-foot. Have a grineer base inside one asteroid, fly through some defenses and obstacles to the next asteroid base. But yeah, until archwing is handled properly, I simply don't trust that DE would take time to do any other vehicle right.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:55 AM, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

It doesn't have to be a buggy. That isn't the only kind of land vehicle. Having some kind of hover bike speeder or something wouldn't break lore at all, nor would it be weird or cringeworthy. Also, it is not, in any way, lore-friendly for us to be using Transference on Grineer vehicles. If you think that's lore-friendly, then you don't know the lore. That kind of thing works on Orokin tech, not on Grineer or Corpus tech.

What I'd like to see is 1) a Tenno hover bike thing as a ground complement to the archwing (and it would be more durable than the archwing, slower yes, but also not as prone to Grineer attack since it's not as high-profile a target as someone up in the air). 2) The ability to hijack Grineer vehicles like Dargyns and Ogmas (these would offer some combat capabilities, of course). That wouldn't be cringeworthy. And it wouldn't go against lore.

Also, as Culaio said, how can anyone say land vehicles are unfriendly to lore and are cringeworthy, yet say nothing about fishing and mining and plant-scanning?

Finally, to address one point I overlooked:

This is where I know you cannot have actually played an open world game before; maybe you've played MMOs, but not an open world action game/shooter (and even if you have, you certainly cannot be a fan of open world games). There's one thing you should learn about open world games:

In an open world game, free roaming is gameplay.

Well no, in a bad and empty open world sure roaming its the gameplay, but in a good one there are tons of things to do, and vehicles dont help in any of them other than roaming around.

Also, yeah i know the lore and no, transference doesnt only work on orokin tech, transference is a power from the void, the void was not invented by the orokin, the void is a separate entity and its powers are not attached to orokin technology. Also remember that corpus and grineer try to replicate orokin tech and are even close to it in some ways like the cloning machines or the moas. In any way your baseless claim that transference only works on orrokin tech is baseless, just because we havent tried it in other kinds of tech doesnt mean it doesnt work.

Stealing enemy vehicles would be cool, but thats it, no need for our own vehicles having archwing and our warframes being capable of achieving high speeds.

20 minutes ago, mstriker said:

Well no, in a bad and empty open world sure roaming its the gameplay, but in a good one there are tons of things to do, and vehicles dont help in any of them other than roaming around.

Also, yeah i know the lore and no, transference doesnt only work on orokin tech, transference is a power from the void, the void was not invented by the orokin, the void is a separate entity and its powers are not attached to orokin technology. Also remember that corpus and grineer try to replicate orokin tech and are even close to it in some ways like the cloning machines or the moas. In any way your baseless claim that transference only works on orrokin tech is baseless, just because we havent tried it in other kinds of tech doesnt mean it doesnt work.

Stealing enemy vehicles would be cool, but thats it, no need for our own vehicles having archwing and our warframes being capable of achieving high speeds.

In a good open world, free roam is gameplay and you can free roam with a variety of transportation options. In a bad open world, you only have a couple of gameplay options. If all you know are MMOs (that happen to be have open zones), then sure, free roam might not be important. But in non-MMO open world games, free roam (and the exploration that comes with it) are in fact gameplay. It is promoted as such. It is a big part of the open world experience. And multiple types of transportation options, including vehicles for more modern- and future-setting games, are a big part of that.

As for Transference, it was absolutely something that was developed by the Orokin - using Void power. We cannot just take control of Grineer tech. But whatever. I don't think you are familiar with open world games at all. your words say as much. You clearly know MMOs, but seems like that's it. You don't understand the fun factor of free roam and using vehicles to do so, which means you don't understand open world and the fun factor of exploration and vehicular combat in open world games, which to me says that you don't actually understand open world at all. I don't see any value in continuing this discussion.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

30 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

In a good open world, free roam is gameplay and you can free roam with a variety of transportation options. In a bad open world, you only have a couple of gameplay options. If all you know are MMOs (that happen to be have open zones), then sure, free roam might not be important. But in non-MMO open world games, free roam (and the exploration that comes with it) are in fact gameplay. It is promoted as such. It is a big part of the open world experience. And multiple types of transportation options, including vehicles for more modern- and future-setting games, are a big part of that.

As for Transference, it was absolutely something that was developed by the Orokin - using Void power. We cannot just take control of Grineer tech. But whatever. I don't think you are familiar with open world games at all. your words say as much. You clearly know MMOs, but seems like that's it. You don't understand the fun factor of free roam and using vehicles to do so, which means you don't understand open world and the fun factor of exploration and vehicular combat in open world games, which to me says that you don't actually understand open world at all. I don't see any value in continuing this discussion.

The witcher 3, is the game good for the variety of roaming options? no its no, its good for almost everything else. You keep throwing fallacies to try to discredit my arguments but that doesnt work here.

"it was absolutely something that was developed by the Orokin" What? no it wasnt; transference pods and transference mechanisms were developed by the orokin to make transference more efficient, not transference itself; what the tenno does in TWW is entirely a tenno and void thing; that power you use in TWW to teleport to your frame and to take control of the worm is not something the orokin developed and implemented in you.

I understand the fun factor of free roam, but i dont like unnecessary mechanics like "your own vehicle" on warframe when there are more interesting options as using already existing grineer and corpus tech that people has been asking for info on and for them to be implemented for years now.

"I don't see any value in continuing this discussion"

well yeah you just repeat what you said over and over i can see why its becoming boring.

5 minutes ago, mstriker said:

The witcher 3, is the game good for the variety of roaming options? no its no, its good for almost everything else. You keep throwing fallacies to try to discredit my arguments but that doesnt work here.

"it was absolutely something that was developed by the Orokin" What? no it wasnt; transference pods and transference mechanisms were developed by the orokin to make transference more efficient, not transference itself; what the tenno does in TWW is entirely a tenno and void thing; that power you use in TWW to teleport to your frame and to take control of the worm is not something the orokin developed and implemented in you.

I understand the fun factor of free roam, but i dont like unnecessary mechanics like "your own vehicle" on warframe when there are more interesting options as using already existing grineer and corpus tech that people has been asking for info on and for them to be implemented for years now.

"I don't see any value in continuing this discussion"

well yeah you just repeat what you said over and over i can see why its becoming boring.

The Tenno can transfer into the Warframes because it's Orokin tech. We can transfer into the Golden Maw because it's Orokin.

As for vehicles, I'm fine with being able to take Grineer and Corpus vehicles, but not through transference. There's nothing odd about the Warframes riding vehicles. We fly in vehicles all the time: our landing crafts. We can jump on a Rampart and man that gun; hopping on a Dargyn, for example, would basically be the same thing. Whether we have our own personal vehicles, or whether we can take Grineer vehicles, I want more vehicles than just archwings. I'm not wanting to replace archwing. I just want to have multiple options so that I can change up the gameplay and keep it fresh. The point is that having multiple gameplay options, whether vehicles or frames or weapons or whatever makes for a fresher, more fun gameplay experience. And it's absolutely a part of what makes open world fun, imo. For Witcher 3, it's part of what makes it work as an open world. It has more than one means of transportation/travel. It's not about how fast we can go (which is the showstopper for a lot of people here). It's about the gameplay experience of using different types of vehicles.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

I think that transference can be only used on stuff that has organic component to it, as we see with orokin being transfered to grove, we know warframe's are organic and we see with orokin tower in plains that orokin used organic components in their other technology.

And now something on topic, after playing on the plains for a while I want other types of mobility even more. I cant use archwing yet(3 days to research the object needed for it), and even if flying in air will be great it doesnt change the fact that moving on ground sucks, and for people who prefer traveling on the ground this is bad. doing bullet jump combo to travel is very immersion-breaking while normal running speed is slow(and please dont tell me about speed abilties of frames I dont want to be forced to use certain frame to travel faster on the ground), I dont want super speed on ground but would want to travel a big faster then our running speed.

Also after playing a while I am even more sure that vehicles(and "mounts") would give us certain tactical advantage since the way we fight in the plains is very different from normal missions, enemies can shot you from very far away(so far you can barely see them, especially if they are in some bush or something) and frequently there is nothing to hide behind from enemy fire(there is also problem with the fact that some frame abilties werent made with big open spaces in mind, for example my favorite frame is nova sadly its Molecular Prime ability doesnt really work well in plains since it expands too slowly in such large area where enemies can shot you from far, yes you can use it in close range by jumping between enemies and using it but nova also lacks survivability, you can counter it with quick thinking mod that keeps you alive at cost of energy but energy economy got gutted by changes to focus)

ability to travel through plains with some protection(armored vehicle ?) or silently(mount ?) would help in the plains.