Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Temporary Workaround Found] Unable to login in-game

I_am_your_Sandvich

Message added by [DE]Danielle

Hey Tenno! 

We're aware of login issues and are working to get them resolved ASAP. Thank you for your patience

Mass login issues have been resolved! We are aware, however, that some of you are still experiencing some issues. We are still working out a solution, and will update this thread once we have nailed down a fix! Thank you for your patience. 

4 minutes ago, Mystry said:

I'm amazed that DE would be so clueless as to suddenly require SMB protocols just to log in. I'm COMPLETELY floored. It's like coming home and finding out your roommate decided to replace your hardwood floor with sharp spikes.

F*** it. I, for one, am not willing to open my computer to a MASSIVE, HUMONGOUS vulnerability just to get this game to work, even though I was hyped as F*** for the PoE update. This is completely unacceptable, and I hold DE responsible for coming up with a hotfix or patch that removes this SMB requirement S#&$. Your users should not need to be vulnerable to a cryptolock virus to play your game.

I'm going to make a post about this in general, since I know no one actually reads bug reports.

As stated above, why should we open ourselves to such vulnerability? When before PoE THERE was no such thing, nor "Login failed. Check your info" ?

Just now, Felheart said:

As stated above, why should we open ourselves to such vulnerability? When before PoE THERE was no such thing, nor "Login failed. Check your info" ?

There's no way they'd make that a requirement. They'd need to be brain dead. This is a mistake. I'm opening a new thread.

1 minute ago, Alaestor said:

There's no way they'd make that a requirement. They'd need to be brain dead. This is a mistake. I'm opening a new thread.

Im in the process of typing one up in general right now; watch for it.

can't loggin ((((
24 hrs

28.954 Script [Info]: StartLogin()
28.954 Script [Info]: DispatchLogin()
28.957 Sys [Info]: Logging in as m________@_____.com
29.024 Sys [Error]: login.php failed (Error: Could not resolve host: login.php)
29.052 Sys [Warning]: HTTP request failed.
29.052 Sys [Warning]:
29.052 Sys [Warning]: Could not resolve host: login.php
29.052 Sys [Warning]: Host-IP:
29.052 Sys [Warning]: Client-Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:01:48 GMT
29.052 Sys [Warning]: DNS: 0us, Connect: 0us, Handshake: 0us, Server: 31ms
29.052 Sys [Error]: Login failed: Error: Could not resolve host: login.php

It's a fiasco bro !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-daMyeA8RE

;-)))

For my own sanity I will try to keep this thread as simple as possible.

For anyone getting the 'Login failed, check your info' error, it isn't your fault. With the release of PoE, Warframe suddenly started requiring SMB Protocols to be running in order for the game to connect to the login server. These protocols are based on the 'Workstation' service for Windows operating systems.

Let me be very clear:
SMB PROTOCOLS ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD NEVER, EVER HAVE THEM ACTIVE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

They are a huge virus vulnerability; the biggest one being the cryptolock ransomware attacks within the last few years. These viruses exploit active SMB protocols to lock and encrypt your entire computer, then extort money from you. You don't have to download or run anything. If a Russian with this virus gets your IP and decides to F*** with you, then your computer is now bricked. Because of this, just about every single Windows 7 user manually removed SMB protocols from their machine, and Windows 10 has the vulnerability patched. No such patch exists for Windows 7. Not sure about 8.

I REPEAT: SMB PROTOCOLS SHOULD NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER BE ACTIVE OR USED.

SMB is such a huge security risk that I'm not even going to tell you how to enable them, because I know someone will do so wanting to get into Warframe NOW, and as a result be smacked with a virus from it, and I won't be held responsible. Not only that, SMB has not been used for over two decades.

This is completely unacceptable, DE. Prior to PoE, the game did not require this and functioned perfectly well. I have no clue HOW this slipped past your dev team, but it is an issue that needs to be fixed NOW. As in TODAY. This is the kind of issue that kills your game; this is the kind of gamebreaking problem that annihilates company reputations. I don't want that for you.

Make a hotfix to remove this usage of SMB protocols. There is no acceptable reason that your playerbase should have to open themselves to a serious security risk in order to play your game. This is so, so much more than just 'disable firewall so it doesn't futz with your game while you are playing it'.

I would ask anyone and everyone to reply to this thread to show DE that this is a MASSIVE, UNHEARD OF problem that NEEDS to be fixed, ASAP.

Edited by theclinton
edited bashing title

In the previous thread we determined that the Workstation service (and hence SMB protocol) is required to log in. I hope it goes without saying, that this is... stupid.

An educated guess by some of my fellow FGL members (programmers and security experts)... 

I think I know what happened. 
They likely disconnected the load balancer and then connected the server to the internet directly

If that is the reason, please fix it. If that isn't the reason, and it's something else, well, now you know where to start, and can stop reading here.

</ professional and respectful hat >

If this was an intentional design decision...

Spoiler

and now that hat is off...

If it wasn't a mistake, but is in fact intentional, what. the. hell. is. wrong. with. you.

I hope whoever made that decision and whoever approved that decision both step on a lego.

really really really hoping this is a mistake...
I'm praying that this is just a slip up here... There's no way you would actually require SMB... right? right??

To be fair, yes, you can use SMB securely, assuming it's up to date (which is incredibly rare) and SMBv1 is disabled. But... This is just bad practice. SMB is a massive attack surface. Encouraging your install base to require this is unimaginable. Hell, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single example in the game industry of where this has been done before.

For the sheer insanity this decision would require, I'm assuming this is a mistake... But let's just say I don't have absolute faith in DE's competence...
giphy.webp

Edited by Alaestor
edited to add separation between issue and smack-talk.

I agree. This needs to be fixed. I hope this isn't the only way they got PoE to work. I hope it's unrelated. I hope PoE can still function without it (I don't know anything about SMB protocols, but I just hope they can fix this quickly).