The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

THIS GAME IS SO FRUSTRATING FOR NEW PLAYERS

mp3converter

I am new to the game haven't been playing for a week and I keep running into the same issue and it makes me waste my time and progression stuck in levels not having any direction.     ill be in a level like sabotage and The game does a horrible job of explaining what i'm supposed to do and it leaves me in a state of being stuck and not being able to progess and I end up having to quit the level. waste my time and watch a bunch of youtube videos on what to do.  This has happened with Sabotage and Excavation and in Cetus in the tutorial for going there and in the first plains of aidolon quest.  GIVE ME SOME @(*()$ INSTRUCTIONS.  its really annoying that ill be dropped into the game and if I miss what space mom is saying because IM PLAYING THE @(*()$ GAME, I GET PUNISHED BY NEVER BEING TOLD WHAT I NEED TO DO AGAIN, THE INSTRUCITONS DON'T GET CLEARER IF TIME PASSES AND I HAVEN'T DONE THE OBJECTIVE, I'M, LEFT IN THE @(*()$ DARK UNTIL I FIGURE IT OUT BY ASKING SOMONE ELSE.  NOTHING IS MORE INFURATING IN A GAME THAN HAVING ONLY ONE WAY TO FINISH A MISSION AND NO DIRECTION LEAVING THE PLAYER GUESSING.  NO S#&$ IF THIS KEEPS HAPPENING I'M JUST NOT GOING TO PLAY IT ANYMORE, AS MUCH AS I ENJOY THIS GAME THE USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN SUCKS SO BAD I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME IF IT WASN'T FOR YOUTUBE TUTORIALS I WOULD HAVE STOPPED ON DAY ONE.

I appreciate your frustrated. However games like Dark Souls get a pass for being opaque and hard. I’ll admit it isn’t a perfect comparison, but the point is Warframe doesn’t hold your hand. You are encouraged to discover the answers yourself or seek guidance. And as far as guidance goes, the Warframe wiki and reddit beginners guides are excellent. 

So, first things first. Take a deep breath. Breathe in, exhale.

Yes, the game does have a fairly poor new user experience. Many things could be explained better. I think they've become used to having a veteran population who already understand the game's mechanics and systems, and don't require in depth tutorials.

All I can say is if you get confused, just ask in chat. It's also probably a good idea to run missions with others, and ask questions if you have any. Hell, you can hit me up ingame and I'll show you some ropes if you like. IGN: WhiteCr0w

The best example is sabotage on Venus. The game directs you to take a coolant cylinder and then after than immediatly tells you do destroy the reactor, the game is telling me to disregard the coolant thing.  and damage the reactor, but the reactor doesn't take damage for some reason.  that is a huge roadblock and a puzzle that is created by misleading instructions.  

Another example in excavation, the goal is to get an excavator to fully extract the maximum amount it can, but the game directs you through prompts to pursue another excavator as soon as one appears, you can't really defend two at once they are usually far away from each other.  The game directs you to have as many excavators open as you can, but rewards you for going one at a time.  The game leads the player into thinking he will get rewarded for playing inneffectively AND also strays them away from the intended goal entirely making them lost in an aimless attempt to figure out what the game 'wants me to do' you gotta take this into consideration I have bachelors in Informatics and this S#&$ pisses me off, I can clearly tell there is a disconnect between what the worded instructions say and what I'm actually supposed to do at the given moment

Well you just said it... Transmissions tell and explain to you what needs to be done for each particular objective... Hell, every objective is marked even... And when it is a pickup that is marked, Lotus talks to you again inmediately upon picking up and telling what to do with that...
Dude I think you are the only one with this issue... Might be attention problems, don't know... I usually pay attention to the first transmission ever for every new stuff, so I know what to do, then if I repeat that mission, I don't need to re-listen to the transmission cause I already did and understood.
I'm sorry, I really think the problem is on your side and hope you can relax and think about the way you experience the things you live.

1 minute ago, mp3converter said:

The best example is sabotage on Venus. The game directs you to take a coolant cylinder and then after than immediatly tells you do destroy the reactor, the game is telling me to disregard the coolant thing.  and damage the reactor, but the reactor doesn't take damage for some reason.  that is a huge roadblock and a puzzle that is created by misleading instructions.  

Another example in excavation, the goal is to get an excavator to fully extract the maximum amount it can, but the game directs you through prompts to pursue another excavator as soon as one appears, you can't really defend two at once they are usually far away from each other.  The game directs you to have as many excavators open as you can, but rewards you for going one at a time.  The game leads the player into thinking he will get rewarded for playing inneffectively AND also strays them away from the intended goal entirely making them lost in an aimless attempt to figure out what the game 'wants me to do' you gotta take this into consideration I have bachelors in Informatics and this S#&$ pisses me off, I can clearly tell there is a disconnect between what the worded instructions say and what I'm actually supposed to do at the given moment

I would YouTube the clip into a missions feedback thread. The devs do look into how they can improve the game. I’ve personally done this with results. 

Just now, mp3converter said:

Incorrect it says find a way to destroy the reactor, then gives you a pretty clear objective icon. In front of it is an item that fits the slot. the coolant also fits the slot. 

The excavation lets you know another spot is ready. It never forces you to have to go to it. Experienced teams can split off to do more than one.

2 minutes ago, mp3converter said:

Another example in excavation, the goal is to get an excavator to fully extract the maximum amount it can, but the game directs you through prompts to pursue another excavator as soon as one appears, you can't really defend two at once they are usually far away from each other.  The game directs you to have as many excavators open as you can, but rewards you for going one at a time.

I can see how you'd be lead to believe that, but think of those other excavators like being in a queue. If you're solo, I'd advise only having one going at a time. The others won't disappear or anything. Do one at a time unless you're in a group.

For Sabotage, honestly, just go wherever the map markers are. Hack if something can be happened, destroy if it can be destroyed, etc.

Just now, mp3converter said:

its telling me to destroy something thats invicible the only words were sabotage the reactor and the icon was a red marker on the reactor and the reactor was invincible...

Did you damage the parts that extended? Usually most reactors have parts that Extend when ready to destroy. Designed to be a visual cue of something changed shoot this part.

Edited by Omega-Shadowblade

2 minutes ago, mp3converter said:

its telling me to destroy something thats invicible the only words were sabotage the reactor and the icon was a red marker on the reactor and the reactor was invincible...

Assuming your mission wasn’t bugged, reactors have weak points. So, you could have been shooting invulnerable parts. 

Upload some video. 

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

10 minutes ago, mp3converter said:

Good examples, actually. As an experienced player, I already know what to do sabotage, but not so much when I started playing a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

The excavation lets you know another spot is ready. It never forces you to have to go to it. Experienced teams can split off to do more than one.

Excavation is a tricky one, you have to think for a second and determine the most efficient approach as a new player. Specially if running public where you are never guaranteed an experienced player is joining in. Everyone runs to next one, previous is destroyed.

Good feedback, specially for other new players.

Which is what DE counts on, on players actually helping each others by using forums, wiki, chat, etc.

Edited by Souldend78

5 minutes ago, mp3converter said:

I am new to the game haven't been playing for a week and I keep running into the same issue and it makes me waste my time and progression stuck in levels not having any direction.     ill be in a level like sabotage and The game does a horrible job of explaining what i'm supposed to do and it leaves me in a state of being stuck and not being able to progess and I end up having to quit the level. waste my time and watch a bunch of youtube videos on what to do.  This has happened with Sabotage and Excavation and in Cetus in the tutorial for going there and in the first plains of aidolon quest.  GIVE ME SOME @(*()$ INSTRUCTIONS.  its really annoying that ill be dropped into the game and if I miss what space mom is saying because IM PLAYING THE @(*()$ GAME, I GET PUNISHED BY NEVER BEING TOLD WHAT I NEED TO DO AGAIN, THE INSTRUCITONS DON'T GET CLEARER IF TIME PASSES AND I HAVEN'T DONE THE OBJECTIVE, I'M, LEFT IN THE @(*()$ DARK UNTIL I FIGURE IT OUT BY ASKING SOMONE ELSE.  NOTHING IS MORE INFURATING IN A GAME THAN HAVING ONLY ONE WAY TO FINISH A MISSION AND NO DIRECTION LEAVING THE PLAYER GUESSING.  NO S#&$ IF THIS KEEPS HAPPENING I'M JUST NOT GOING TO PLAY IT ANYMORE, AS MUCH AS I ENJOY THIS GAME THE USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN SUCKS SO BAD I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME IF IT WASN'T FOR YOUTUBE TUTORIALS I WOULD HAVE STOPPED ON DAY ONE.

Hiya,
The Lotus says the instructions and the game shows you the instructions all the time.

Mission objectives are always marked by red/yellow/white/green markings, depending on the type of mission and the progress. (for example red = kill/destroy, yellow = interact/protect)... The left side of the screen tells you exactly what you should do.

You are basically carried by Lotus and all the markings, all you need is to just look and listen...

I've been a new player once as well and I've never had a problem understanding what to do in any missions besides Spy (which took a while to learn, but now those are my favourites)

I mean even the mission names hint on what to do..
Defense - just the name of the mission says what to do..
Mobile defense - same
Survivial - same
Exterminate - same...
etc...
as for Sabotage - here's a tricky one because there are three or four kinds of that one (not exactly sure), you just need to follow instructions and markings and tadaaa, done

etc...

Trust me there are some games giving you absolutely no info what to do or where to go, yet people still complete it. More listening and watching the screen and less pointless frustration and less mindless smashing.