Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Things That Are Currently Damaging Warframe

Spartan336

I love this game. I've played it for 4 years now, and I think it's wonderful how far it's come. I love how you can just freely move around, mass murder everything, and grind away with the friendly player base. But, this is called Things That Are Currently Damaging Waframe. As much as I'd like to, I wont be showering this game in praise. Why? Because some bad stuff has been happening lately. Stuff that needs to be addressed. Stuff that is hindering DE's ability to profit and grow. And stuff that has put the entire community, including me, in a tizzy. 

I'd like to apologize in advance for being so negative during this review. This is meant to be criticism and suggestion, so please don't take it as anything else. 

Tutorials and Introductions

I'm doing this one first because I've already made a thread about it, as seen here. 

For those of you who don't bother to click on that, here's the basic rundown. 

The game is not just refusing to hold a new players hand, but currently straight up abandons them. Simple mechanics are not explained, let alone complex ones. Friends of mine have lost interest in the game due to this, and I recall myself loosing interest at the beginning of my Warframe experience until I found the wiki. The wiki and Youtube should not be an essential part of the game, and most players rely on them or other players that do. Better tutorials and introductions are in order. It's gotten better, but it's not nearly enough.

The Plains of Eidolon

There are some things I like about this update, but of course, I'll be focusing on what is damaging the game. 

First off, this place should NOT have been open to newer players. You can get to the plains in 2 hours from starting the game. As a new player, what do you find in the massive open world PR blast you started playing the game for? Walls. A ton of them. Why? Because PoE is an end-game grind meant for veterans, and some of the veterans don't feel up to the grind. You know what happens when you're hyped, then slammed into walls? You get frustrated, quit the game, and don't pick it up again because there are better places to be and games to play. DE did the right thing with the Twitch drops and PoE to get players to play the game and to get Warframe some attention, but beyond that it's just frustration, causing the newly gained players to leave without giving DE any money, or very little.

I do believe we need a better level cap for the plains, like MR 5 and has completed the Second Dream or something like that. Completionists are going to have nightmares if they spend the months it takes to grind out everything in PoE. It really turns a lot of the older players away, including myself. If you're going to go into the comments and go "PFFT noob. The grind is fine!" Please note that a lot of us don't have that absurd amount of time. This is made evident by Mr. MCGamberCZ here, as he vents his frustrations with the focus system. 

END

DE did good with the PR blast, twitch drops, and ambitious update. But if they want to keep the players they've gained, then they NEED to fix these things. I've seen more new players than ever before, but heard about more new players getting frustrated and leaving than ever before. I really wanted to like the PoE update, and I did to a degree, since DE CLEARLY put a ton of time and effort into it. But between the hotfix's, bugs, and what I've talked about in this post, it's really hard to do so. I urge DE to fix this as soon as possible. I want to share Warframe with my friends and not have them get angry at the game. Thank you. 

Edited by Spartan336
Added Video

9 minutes ago, Volinus7 said:

Warframe is not complex, you don't need mensa level to understand it.

DE want players to get frustrated because they use "frustration for money" monetization model.  

No. Warframe isn't that complex. But even the easy stuff like bullet jumping isn't explained. Those are the kind of mechanics we're talking about here. 

8 minutes ago, Spartan336 said:

No. Warframe isn't that complex. But even the easy stuff like bullet jumping isn't explained. Those are the kind of mechanics we're talking about here. 

There is, in fact, a Parkour 2.0 tutorial where they explain Bullet Jump. They may not do a good enough job of directing new players to it, I don't know about the state of New Player Experience. But they made me play the tutorial when they released Parkour 2.0.

Edited by Ceryk

8 minutes ago, Spartan336 said:

Yes they do explain. The first thing when you start the game! What are you saying?

3 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

There is, in fact, a Parkour 2.0 tutorial where they explain Bullet Jump. They may not do a good enough job of directing new players to it, I don't know about the state of New Player Experience. But they made me play the tutorial when they released Parkour 2.0.

Yeah. They made me play it when it released to. But from what I hear that was temporary. I'll have to confirm though. Several new streamers and such didn't know how to bullet jump, so I'd expect the tutorial wasn't given a spotlight. 

Just now, Spartan336 said:

Yeah. They made me play it when it released to. But from what I hear that was temporary. I'll have to confirm though. Several new streamers and such didn't know how to bullet jump, so I'd expect the tutorial wasn't given a spotlight. 

I think the mandatory enforcement was what was temporary. You can find the Tutorial in the Training part of the Codex under Advanced Movement and there should be a button to play the Tutorial mission at the bottom right.

2 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

I think the mandatory enforcement was what was temporary. You can find the Tutorial in the Training part of the Codex under Advanced Movement and there should be a button to play the Tutorial mission at the bottom right.

Yeah. But then the problem that new players don't even know that exists pops up. 

1 hour ago, wookiefer said:

Yes they do explain. The first thing when you start the game!

You know what my very first warframe experience was? Pick up a sword, see bad guys, run up to them, click left mouse button. My sword now glows cutely, yay! Now, how do I hit bad guys (who, mind you, are shooting me right now) with that sword?

Seriously, who decided that default lmb bind should be channeling and not melee attack?

1 hour ago, Ceryk said:

Might i ask where? I already had a farmed prime set by the time i learned how to bulletjump from a dude in the chats.

37 minutes ago, Nyaa314 said:

You know what my very first warframe experience was? Pick up a sword, see bad guys, run up to them, click left mouse button. My sword now glows cutely, yay! Now, how do I hit bad guys (who, mind you, are shooting me right now) with that sword?

Seriously, who decided that default lmb bind should be channeling and not melee attack?

Ah yeah i remember that too.

3 minutes ago, wookiefer said:

I do remember I was affraid to fail. Up to a point where I said to myself "so what if I do" and took the things slowly and manage to understand them. And...I have no memory of the channeling stuff. xd Oh wait... but I made it. Oh wow.

I don't think the message of my posts is reaching your incredibly sarcastic ears. This is a fairly serious issue right now. Even some of the people who "take it slowly" will find that the game straight up abandons them in terms of direction and explanation. This causes people not to want to play the game. If you can prove this is not the case, then go ahead. But this is what me, and many others, are seeing. 

I am not sarcastic, I just don't see it as an issue. Having a different opinion bothers you? There are so many, so so many players in Warframe and one left, oh my gosh. And saying that the tutorial is buryed in codex.. First you do the turorial, isn't it? Yes, the game has a really new use of the keys and that can be a chalenge at the beginning but, again, it does have a tutorial. And there are more serious and real issues that make people not playing it or leaving. Sorry for looking sarcastic to you, I am just dead serious.

25 minutes ago, wookiefer said:

I am not sarcastic, I just don't see it as an issue. Having a different opinion bothers you? There are so many, so so many players in Warframe and one left, oh my gosh. And saying that the tutorial is buryed in codex.. First you do the turorial, isn't it? Yes, the game has a really new use of the keys and that can be a chalenge at the beginning but, again, it does have a tutorial. And there are more serious and real issues that make people not playing it or leaving. Sorry for looking sarcastic to you, I am just dead serious.

That one player isn't an isolated event, it's the example for whats generally happening. Warframe already has a large player base, and DE are trying to expand it. The problem lies with how crappy the introductions are. To rehash, you practically need the wiki and youtube to figure stuff out since the game just drops you in. Thats a problem, and one that can turn a player away, as it has done so many times now. This problem has persisted throughout Warframe's life-span, and if DE are trying to make it this big, then they're going to have to finally address it. Modding, Relics, Movement, Channeling, Trading, Prime Parts, Damage types and damage in general, all of these and more are either not explained or buried in a codex entry that the new player has no knowledge of since the codex isn't explained. Without youtube, the wiki, or another player helping them people may very well just up and leave. 

3 hours ago, Nyaa314 said:

Oh god I had almost forgotten about that.

Why do they even have different binds? Left click for attack! You don't need to have 'shoot' and 'sword' have different buttons when you can only use one at a time!

I seem to recall the button mapping for things like crouching and such also making bullet jumping a pain in the &#!, but like hell I'm resetting my binds now to check.

5 hours ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Oh god I had almost forgotten about that.

Why do they even have different binds? Left click for attack! You don't need to have 'shoot' and 'sword' have different buttons when you can only use one at a time!

I seem to recall the button mapping for things like crouching and such also making bullet jumping a pain in the &#!, but like hell I'm resetting my binds now to check.

Yeah. That was one of my friends other frustrations. E for melee when you're using M1 to shoot made no sense to him, or me when I thought about it. I don't think this is something that absolutely needs fixing, or even will be fixed, but it is off-putting. 

Are you sure the tutorial doesn't explain Bullet Jumping?  I definitely remember a tutorial right at the beginning before I even reached the Orbiter telling me how to wall jump and bullet jump and stuff, but now I'm doubting myself and wondering if maybe I imagined it.

I keep hearing about how awful the new player experience is, and all I can think is that the only thing that really threw me off through it was the keybindings.  I guess they wanted to have consistency between Quick Melee and Melee, but it's pretty self-evident that there's significant differences between those two modes and not having M1 being "use equipped weapon" is unnecessarily strange.

I still don't understand how someone could miss the existence of the codex, it's a big screen right there, and I'm surprised there was anyone who didn't thoroughly investigate the Orbiter and everything it could offer them as soon as they could, to me that would be like not knowing the Foundry or Arsenal existed.

New mechanics and such drastically NEED better tutorials. Even the new plains I had no clue what to do, how to get there, how to get out onto the plains, who did what. It took me over an hour just talking to everyone and stumbling around to figure it out. I got a bounty, it counted down then I didn't teleport like normal which confused the hell out of me. After looking up a bunch I realized I had to go out the door now.

Stuff like this does hurt the game in the long run. Every time I take a long break from the game (typically 6-10 month stints) I come back and am absolutely flustered. I'm not quite sure where to start, how to get into the new stuff etc.

I know that many new players cant load plains at all because the game crashes due to lack of video memory, plains is not playable on weak pc. So many can't progress at all, stuck in cetus gates forever. Cetus and plains mustn't be mandatory and must have avoid path in order to move through the system instead the half of Earth.

Edited by Freeros

9 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Might i ask where? I already had a farmed prime set by the time i learned how to bulletjump from a dude in the chats.

Go to the Codex, under the Training Tab there's one called Advanced Movement that should have a button at the bottom right to access the Tutorial on it. For awhile when Parkour 2.0 launched it was mandatory to play but it looks like they don't do a good enough job directing new players to it now.