Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fomorian Event Failure Penalty Is Very Bad.

GallyYum

IF we are unsuccessful in our mission:

• Any regions with surviving Fomorians at the end of the event will see their resource drops cut in half for several weeks.

DE I understand you want to peak your concurrent player population numbers with a weekend event, but punishing your players for not meeting your expectations is bad. If you actually implement this penalty, then you are discouraging people to play the game for several weeks thereafter.

It's also a giant slap to the face to any players like me who can barely get on during the weekend, because of having to work and spend time with family. Why are you trying to punish a player like me for several weeks because I failed to participate fully in an event that you only just announced last wednesday.  I play this game somewhat casually and if loot drop rates were halved, it would only encourage me to play other steam games that arent purposefully wasting my time.

I feel like you're making me play this game with your gun aimed at my head.

Grineer got guns on your head, not DE. Besides, this event is SO easy, especially compared to the last one.

We ain't failing this. Even if we do, that just means a consequence in the game, wich may as well fit to the lore, and I'm fine with it (although it will indeed be a pain in the &#!)

well leave all the ships in areas with nano spores alone. focus on the other places. its not like there was already a nano spre shortage anyways. xini and saturn. not a big deal can get more plastids on pluto.

we as a player base just need to prioritize what planets resources are most valuable and i think we all can agree that eris and saturn are least important

Personally i could not care less about the silly mod rewards. Like that game was not easy enough. Plus no way i am sacrificing a mod slot for an ammo conversion BS.

About the penalty - DE if you really want to screw your playerbase by making us paticipate in your silly event and punishing us for not doing so, you've headed the wrong way, my friends.

DE I understand you want to peak your concurrent player population numbers with a weekend event-

Ever heard of "You put the &#! in Assuming"? When did DE ever state their main goal was to "peak" their player population? Yeah sure, that will probably happen, but was it their main goal? No.

-but punishing your players for not meeting your expectations is bad. If you actually implement this penalty, then you are discouraging people to play the game for several weeks thereafter.

So basically: "I'm a person who would rather get rewarded for both my successes and my failures. DE is wrong to give us a chance to actually shape the universe their game lives within. We should always be rewarded even if we lose."

It's also a giant slap to the face to any players like me who can barely get on during the weekend, because of having to work and spend time with family. Why are you trying to punish a player like me for several weeks because I failed to participate fully in an event that you only just announced last wednesday.

Newsflash: This just in! DE has done this with every single event thus far! They give a few little hints during livestreams and cool little youtube vids, Then around midweek, they do a full reveal. This formula hasn't changed at all, and so far every single event they've thrown at us has been successfully finished by the community.  Just because YOU don't have time to play doesn't mean the VAST MAJORITY doesn't. In less than 4 hours the community absolutely destroyed the first 3 ships, and it's not even the damned weekend yet. Please, sit your &#! down.

I play this game somewhat casually and if loot drop rates were halved, it would only encourage me to play other steam games that arent purposefully wasting my time.

Then do so. No one's stopping you - neither is DE. Here's what you're not getting through your obviously thick head.

WE, THE COMMUNITY, asked for this. There were threads asking for more punishment if we lose. More incentive for us to win. DE so far has incorporated or at least placed lights on everything we, the community, has pointed out and talked about. This is one of them. We wanted to shape the universe the Tenno live in, and now we're getting our chance.

This event is definitely the best one so far - not only because it's bringing the community together far better than the other events, but because we now have a truly strong purpose. A reason for doing this event instead of some simple little reward.

A gun to your head *rolls eyes* How melodramatic. Yeah, if we lose, our characters are all dead. Our accounts totally wiped. No plat returned. Infact, no, WE'RE dead. DE is going to come to our houses and shoot us in the head. Ugh, I greatly dislike people who say S#&$ like this.

The same Universe where running higher level missions solo so that they are infinitely harder to accomplish than running in a group, garner's less reward?

Community event. Community event. Once again, the forums lit up like crazy last event because everyone felt like it wasn't group oriented. Now, DE makes a group oriented event and people still cry. *rolls eyes again* My eyes are gonna fall out of their sockets if this amount of derp continues.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Might want to stick to speaking for yourself and yourself alone, you are neither the voice of the community or privy to any of DE's plans, as for calling another poster melodramatic, pot meet kettle.

Edit: I'm putting a cap on this argument before it begins, since I have things to do today.

My post is not just my opinion. I've read the forums - both during this event and the last...and the one before it. I've been in many different threads arguing about the events for this game and what us players actually want.

The first event was a bit basic and, though not as group oriented as this one, it wasn't extremely competitive either. DE's way of "testing the waters" so to speak. The community was mixed. Some pointed out how basic the event was while others were just happy we had events suddenly. Of course the reward for that event is a different (and even more controversial) conversation.

The second event could've been alot better. It wasn't terrible, but it was far too competitive and promoted solo play. Players flocked to the forums outlining how both boring the event was and how they did far better soloing instead of playing as a team. Then the whole "exploit" deal came in, where players would make teams so more enemies would spawn and have only one player kill all the "balloons" to boister their kills. But again, that's another conversation for another time. The jist of the anger in the forum, was that it wasn't a true group effort, and promoted playing solo instead of as a cohesive team. There was also alot of talk about how the rewards were handed out. How they rewarded people too easily for too little work they put into the event.

Throughout both these events, there were threads and posts asking for better rewards as well as actual punishment for failing these events. Many, many players cited Mass Effect 3's multiplayer - where if you fail, you get some sort of punishment.

This third event is proof that DE listened to us. Though solo is still an option, this event promotes group play. Just like we asked. It's giving us a reward for winning or a punishment for losing. Just like we asked. There are now multiple tiers of rewards you can obtain - the most either taking a long time to achieve solo or rather quickly if you play in a team. Just like we asked.

Either way, even if the community didn't ask for any of this, I'd still be against you and the OP. I like being rewarded. But I also feel it's justified to be punished if I lose. It gives more incentive to win, and brings the community together towards one common goal. It doesn't get any better than that, and nothing you will say will change that fact - just as nothing I can say will change your opinion.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go play with friends, join my fellow Tenno, and eradicate these monstrosities.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Its a bad penalty cause its just "lose and you'll have to grind more".

It could have been so event failure resulted in Grineer incursion and Grineer getting better equipment on their maps, making things more difficult. Maybe the get more bosses in their systems. Maybe boss style enemies show up in normal Grineer maps. But that would require actually making content that requires quite a bit of effort.

To be fair I don't like the win or the lose. Wining gives me mods (okay), but doesn't result in the Corpus faction changing, like say a group of them split off from the Corpus and support the Tenno.

.....But that would require actually making content that requires quite a bit of effort.

And that's when I stopped taking your post seriously. DE made this whole entire game that both you and I play from scratch, and are constantly improving it -DAILY- with hotfixes and full featured content every friday. They stay up all night, work all hours of the day, and obviously read the forums constantly in order to bring your self-entitled, ignorant &#! a FREE game to play while also listening to their community. And you reward them by saying they don't put effort into what they're doing? I don't care if you disagree with certain choices they made. Hell, I've disagreed with quite a few myself. But saying something like this because you don't like an event they made that caters to the community as a whole instead of the typical soloer?

Know what? I don't care if I get a warning for this, because you deserve it. F*** off, dude. Try to make a game with even a quarter of this one's content while catering to a large and rather rabid fanbase, and see how far you go.

Edited by SoulEchelon

I don't personally like being compelled to do an event I may or may not enjoy playing (I don't enjoy defense maps and this has defense. It's just not fun for me). Ultimately, the game comes down to fun for me. Not lore, not realism, not just punishment and reward.

I don't want to be forced to play defense maps all weekend to prevent myself from being unable to collect all the neurodes and alloy plates I need for the new gun and all the other clan tech I haven't finished yet.

If fun is taking the back seat to anything else in a video game, I guess I don't understand the majority of today's gamers. I like accomplishment, sure, but there need not be a punishment on the other end for a reward to mean something.

Edit: Also, grineer are my least favorite faction because of how stupid rollers and scorpions are, in my opinion. That's another reason I don't like these maps.

Edited by Nubsawce

I don't personally like being compelled to do an event I may or may not enjoy playing (I don't enjoy defense maps and this has defense. It's just not fun for me). Ultimately, the game comes down to fun for me. Not lore, not realism, not just punishment and reward.

I don't want to be forced to play defense maps all weekend to prevent myself from being unable to collect all the neurodes and alloy plates I need for the new gun and all the other clan tech I haven't finished yet.

If fun is taking the back seat to anything else in a video game, I guess I don't understand the majority of today's gamers. I like accomplishment, sure, but there need not be a punishment on the other end for a reward to mean something.

Edit: Also, grineer are my least favorite faction because of how stupid rollers and scorpions are, in my opinion. That's another reason I don't like these maps.

Today's gamers?

This event feels like something from the days of arcade game that ate your coin every time you lose. That was RL money down the machine for a few minutes. That was definitely harsher punishment than this event. What about gaming before the invent of save point? Hours down the drain for a single mistake.

Reward and punishment are always there in gaming. Performing poorly doesn't mean you're free from repercussion. And from the event's background, it's a dispute over resource. Make sense that if Grineer somehow win, they will take away the resource and leave us dry.

The lower-level ships get blown up in hours.

As long as Mercury/Venus/Saturn/Earth/Mars/Jupiter/Europa are alright, it really doesn't matter what happens to Neptune/Ceres/Eris/Pluto because there are other places you can farm that stuff.

The ONLY planet that is VITAL to save, is Jupiter, because that's the 1-and-only place to get Neural Sensors.

And even then, Mercury is kinda "meh", because the only thing good from there is Morphics, which you can also get from Mars. The Ferrite and Bundles can be gotten elsewhere.

And the nice thing about this event, is that if 1 world falls... it doesn't matter all that much. Not like before with the Snipetron event, where if you hit 99% and the time runs out, you lose everything.

Today's gamers?

This event feels like something from the days of arcade game that ate your coin every time you lose. That was RL money down the machine for a few minutes. That was definitely harsher punishment than this event. What about gaming before the invent of save point? Hours down the drain for a single mistake.

Reward and punishment are always there in gaming. Performing poorly doesn't mean you're free from repercussion. And from the event's background, it's a dispute over resource. Make sense that if Grineer somehow win, they will take away the resource and leave us dry.

I feel like you didn't actually respond to my discontent, and instead just re-asserted that these punishments should be there. I don't understand.

And just because I said today's gamers doesn't mean I want to go into the way back machine of the late 80's. Even Baldur's Gate and other difficult games from the 90's weren't punishing if you saved with any frequency. There were consequences, but none of them were "we're going to cripple you for weeks". The punishment is a death and a re-load.

And as a re-statement since my point seems to have been missed: where is it written that all games must have reward and punishment? And do you know who made this event's background and could have made -any- event with -any- background? Yeah. This entire crippling punishment was designed at the same time the event was designed. The Fomorians could have easily been bringing all-out war onto Corpus ships in an attempt to obliterate them and take all the resources for themselves. It even makes more sense for them to do that then destroy the resources they wanted to buy for cheap prices.

Crippling me is not fun and thus it is a punishment that makes me not want to play the game. Dying because I failed is a punishment I understand and it doesn't affect me in anything more than the immediate circumstances. As long as the game has some balance, a death is my fault, is quick, is an understood punishment, and allows to feel accomplishment. If I could never fail, I agree, there would be little accomplishment. But a failure shouldn't stay with me for so long. That's what's so un-fun.

Edit: Also, lost myself a bit in the length so forgive me, it's an event that requires you to repeatedly play the same map type or be punished. I don't want to be pigeonholed into one map type either. Why does that make me worthy of punishment?

Edited by Nubsawce

Today's gamers?

I always laugh at the "today's gamers" argument that I see come up in a lot of games. I remember playing the same game/MMOs for hours and hours at a time. You know what happened in the interim? A decade and a half passed by. Things changed. Like a lot of other people, I grew up, got a job, and had things to do besides sit at my computer for hours on end grinding at the same thing. And what of younger people who might be on summer vacation and not even around? Should people who weren't able to make this 3-day window be punished for everyone failing? For example, a friend and clanmate of mine is moving this weekend. Is it really smart to discourage him from playing the game for a while when he returns with lower drop rates?

And sure, games of this nature always passively punish you for not playing by making you lag behind, but I can't think of many instances off the top of my head of games ACTIVELY punishing you for not being able to play. The rest of that I can't really get anything out of besides the usual "in my day we had to walk FIFTEEN MILES in the snow, uphill, both ways.". Games are supposed to be fun, period. I do work at work.

Also, as an aside, where the heck are the Corpus during this? Did the Grineer throw a bunch of AAA batteries at them and make them spazz out from the shock damage?

Edited by LightCleric

DE I understand you want to peak your concurrent player population numbers with a weekend event, but punishing your players for not meeting your expectations is bad. If you actually implement this penalty, then you are discouraging people to play the game for several weeks thereafter.

It's also a giant slap to the face to any players like me who can barely get on during the weekend, because of having to work and spend time with family. Why are you trying to punish a player like me for several weeks because I failed to participate fully in an event that you only just announced last wednesday.  I play this game somewhat casually and if loot drop rates were halved, it would only encourage me to play other steam games that arent purposefully wasting my time.

Why do you blame DE for not looking into you calender and see your personal life. Hey, today I had to work too. I mean. How unfair is it that they havent placed the event around my personal life..... QQ end

And that's when I stopped taking your post seriously. DE made this whole entire game that both you and I play from scratch, and are constantly improving it -DAILY- with hotfixes and full featured content every friday. They stay up all night, work all hours of the day, and obviously read the forums constantly in order to bring your self-entitled, ignorant &#! a FREE game to play while also listening to their community. And you reward them by saying they don't put effort into what they're doing? I don't care if you disagree with certain choices they made. Hell, I've disagreed with quite a few myself. But saying something like this because you don't like an event they made that caters to the community as a whole instead of the typical soloer?

Know what? I don't care if I get a warning for this, because you deserve it. F*** off, dude. Try to make a game with even a quarter of this one's content while catering to a large and rather rabid fanbase, and see how far you go.

See, the thing is here, I never said they were lazy. You just decided to be self righteous. DE is a small studio so I'm not expecting a lot here. What I suggested would take some solid story writing. Go on and white-knight some more sir, when you enjoy things like the poorly done nightmare mode and laughable bosses, tell me how fun your game is then.

Just because I think DE is doing a good job over all doesn't mean they aren't going to get called out to be criticized. They can make fantastic looking maps, so why can't they put some of that passion into making stronger, more enjoyable events?