Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

End Game Damage

Officer_Triceracop

Question

I have been playing Warframe for quite some time and I still have difficulty doing the insane amounts of damage I see other players dishing out. During sorties I will have a fully modded, heavily forma'd and high base damage weapon that takes 4x the amount of time I see other players taking to kill things. Granted I do play as Trinity, but that shouldn't matter too much. Are there veteran secrets that I am unaware of? Is the difference arcanes? (I have none). Am I a bad and should feel bad?

8 answers to this question

From what you say, it looks like your builds focus on damage. Surprisingly enough, that's a mistake, as damage tends to fall off fast as the levels go up. What you have to do is invest in Crit and Status, depending on what the weapon leans towards. Look up the different elemental damage types, what they're efficient against, and what their procs do, see what looks interesting, and build your weapons for that. Corrosive and Viral are a safe start.

For the damage, it depend by multiples factors:

Which weapon you're using and which type of weapon (A low/high firerate? Crit/status based?)

And which mods do you use and in what order (As an example, if you have a lot of magnetic damage on your weapon against the grineer, you're doing it wrong.)

I suggest you to, basis, farm the  +elemental damage/+ status mods (Like scorch). But, if you really want some help, it would be better to post here a screen of your build.

14 minutes ago, Mcl_BlueMadness said:

From what you say, it looks like your builds focus on damage. Surprisingly enough, that's a mistake, as damage tends to fall off fast as the levels go up. What you have to do is invest in Crit and Status, depending on what the weapon leans towards. Look up the different elemental damage types, what they're efficient against, and what their procs do, see what looks interesting, and build your weapons for that. Corrosive and Viral are a safe start.

I usually stick with corrosive and viral. I have not invested much in crit as it seems when I do it cuts my damage in half and only 60%70 % crit chance. An additional 40% crit at the expense of damage didnt make sense. Is this something that works better than the numbers suggest? As for the status, I do add status chance when I can because i want to get rid of armor and hp.

8 minutes ago, Chimiasai said:

For the damage, it depend by multiples factors:

Which weapon you're using and which type of weapon (A low/high firerate? Crit/status based?)

And which mods do you use and in what order (As an example, if you have a lot of magnetic damage on your weapon against the grineer, you're doing it wrong.)

I suggest you to, basis, farm the  +elemental damage/+ status mods (Like scorch). But, if you really want some help, it would be better to post here a screen of your build.

I considered putting up screenshots, but the truth is I have tons of heavily forma'd weapons and switch depending on the content. I try to stay above 50% status and I don't focus on crit which may be my issue. The supra is my guilty pleasure weapon and it seems to keep up with the higher damage weapons. That makes 0 sense to me.

6 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

Make sure  you're using the right elements for right enemies.

Which are literally always Corrosive (+ Blast) or Viral + Slash. There are no other elements in this game. There was Gas once, but it was a bug and it got removed (Except for Lanka, maybe, but even there it's sketchy).

41 minutes ago, Officer_Triceracop said:

Am I a bad and should feel bad?

You are bad for not using melee. Use melee. Condition Overload/Blood Rush/Maiming Strike and their combinations are alright. Or be Ivara and use Navigator on your Zenistar charge attack.

For guns, the working combination tends to be an arbitrary amount of corrosive proc chance paired with crit viability (crit chance to hit 100% or higher crit chance and a lot of crit damage on top of that). Though, there are some exceptions, like Tigris Prime that can work with Viral + Slash (+ Radiation because you need 100% status chance, after all).

Also, there's always the option of playing Banshee and turning literally any gun in the game into a doomsday device.

51 minutes ago, Officer_Triceracop said:

I do play as Trinity

Make you Link strip armor. Cast Link. Strip armor. Shoot the guy. Guy dies. Repeat.

24 minutes ago, Officer_Triceracop said:

I usually stick with corrosive and viral. I have not invested much in crit as it seems when I do it cuts my damage in half and only 60%70 % crit chance. An additional 40% crit at the expense of damage didnt make sense. Is this something that works better than the numbers suggest? As for the status, I do add status chance when I can because i want to get rid of armor and hp.

Something to keep in mind about crits, is that critical headshots deal 4x damage while regular headshots deal 2x

If you have one weapon that deals 100 raw damage, and another weapon that deals 50 damage with 50% crit chance and 2.0x crit damage: on headshots, the first weapon would deal 200 damage, and the second would deal 100 damage on non-crits, and 400 on crits.

Average it out to 10 shots, and the first one would deal 2000 damage, and the second would deal ~2500.

And this is before applying critical damage mods which would bring the crit build even farther away from the non-crit build. Simply by adding Vital Sense, and bumping that 2.0x crit damage to 4.8x, then the crit weapon would deal 960 on critical headshots. Bringing up it's 10 shot average to ~5300.

The best weapons IMO are ones that are a fusion of both crit and status.

Edited by rapt0rman

Slash with eather mixed crit and status or focused on status combined with eather viral or corrosive are pretty much the peak when it comes to damage. Slash status does 33% off your weapons base damage and scales with basedamage, headshots, crit multipliers and stealth multipliers (melee) in addition to your regular damage and does finisher damage, thus ignores armor, resistances and shields.

Keep your builds kinda clean off anything but basedamage, crit mods and/or your 2 elements of choice though. Slash damage mods, that would also make sense, only affect the raw damage and status ratio, not the status damage or generall chance, physical damage having a 4:1 chance to elemental status by default. They are thus kinda inferior to crit and basedamage mods which boost every aspect of the damage and only recommendet if played with viral on status weapons (only needs one tick anyways. Tigris prime would be a good example where slash damage is good.)

Just go pure damage, crit and combo (drifting contact, blood rush, weeping wounds) and add range and slide crit (maiming strike, riven) depending on the weapon for melee.