The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Whats the point of Focus Pool?

Dulran

In Focus 2.0 I don't really see people speccing/unspeccing certain traits that much (also as far as I can see there is also not a maximum of things you can skill) and if it's just about cost wouldn't it make more sense to just add the cost on the traits (eh...) and remove the pooling system altogether? Currently at least for me it's mostly a nuisance and makes it a lot harder to estimate the cost for the next trait. So, they question is what is the point?

I agree. The focus pool system just feels like an awkward way to gate us into spending more focus for abilities. I doubt that we will see the focus pool completely removed, but I'd like to see a compromise where at least fully unlocked Waybound passives don't use up your focus pool. There's already a considerable amount of focus invested. Just to have all waybound passives takes up 83 drain which is about 2.3mil focus and that's not counting pool cost for wanting another abilities in that school.

In Devstream 100, they spoke about this - the idea they're tossing around is to have a single pool for all the schools, instead of a separate pool for each school.

It's a mistake to look at DE as big meanies trying to "slow us down."  What they are trying to do is find a sweet spot where they keep people entertained enough so they'll keep playing and keep investing in the system, so that enough people keep buying plat to keep the game and company going. 

So the long and the short of it is, that they have to find that point of intersection between peoples' tolerance for grind and DE's need to make money.  Sometimes they'll overshoot, but it's better for them to overshoot and then pull back, than to start low and then up the grind. 

There's whining when they do the former, and that's bad enough, but the whining when they do the latter is apocalyptic.

1 hour ago, Omnimorph said:

It's a mistake to look at DE as big meanies trying to "slow us down."  What they are trying to do is find a sweet spot where they keep people entertained enough so they'll keep playing and keep investing in the system, so that enough people keep buying plat to keep the game and company going. 

I wouldn't mind if they'd add the pool cost just to the nodes instead tbh, I just think that the pool mechanic makes this more complicated then it has to be. My point isn't that the costs of the pooling is the problem but that the mechanic is completely redundant in Focus 2.0, because you usually don't think about "Do I spec this vs. this?" but instead just skill whatever you want and be done with it. Pool would make sense if there was a maximum that wouldn't allow us to skill everything but as far as i can see thats not the case.

Making the capacity slots shared is a great move, but I still think you're double dipping by paying twice for each point you put in a tree, which always sucks. Granted, I'll take double dipping once over double dipping in five different trees, but still, it's imho no fun.

In the end, reminds me of syndicates, where you constantly force to sacrifice huge amounts of earned standing for a reward that's not even close to the value of your sacrifice (ex: throwing away 100k and getting a 25k mod as a reward).

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...