GottFaust

[Unofficial] Weapon Dps Calculator (Current V0.5.4)

Question

thanks! love this little tool. i shared it with the clan too. keep it up man! :D

Just in case you're interested in making the calculator even more accurate, Mad5scout and Rmosley753 tested and figured out the order of operations and rounding for damage calculations: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Mad5cout/Warframe_Damage_Calculation_Research

They also have some research going on for critical hits: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Mad5cout/Critical_Damage_Research

If you do calculate it in a different order and don't round (or round at the end), it doesn't make a big difference though.

Edited by CitizenV
  • Upvote 1

Just in case you're interested in making the calculator even more accurate, Mad5scout and Rmosley753 tested and figured out the order of operations and rounding for damage calculations: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Mad5cout/Warframe_Damage_Calculation_Research

They also have some research going on for critical hits: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Mad5cout/Critical_Damage_Research

If you do calculate it in a different order and don't round (or round at the end), it doesn't make a big difference though.

As far as I can tell, the rounding portion is only for display. I'll do more research on the matter however. If it is done, it's an extremely inefficient and uncommon way to go about it. Hence my skepticism.

As to the OOP I'll check that out, but at a cursory glance seems to match mine.

Edit - Upon examination of his data-sets his crit and damage formulas return incorrect values nearly 50% of the time, and usually off by just enough to indicate that he's losing precision via rounding. This supports my statement that any rounding is only for display purposes.

Edit 2 - My OOP is exactly identical to his, so no changes needed their either. Overall this is interesting information, but he's making some bad assumptions (namely assuming that the output format indicates the processing format) and it's nothing I haven't tested out already.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention regardless.

Edited by GottFaust

As far as I can tell, the rounding portion is only for display. I'll do more research on the matter however. If it is done, it's an extremely inefficient and uncommon way to go about it. Hence my skepticism.

As to the OOP I'll check that out, but at a cursory glance seems to match mine.

Edit - Upon examination of his data-sets his crit and damage formulas return incorrect values nearly 50% of the time, and usually off by just enough to indicate that he's losing precision via rounding. This supports my statement that any rounding is only for display purposes.

Edit 2 - My OOP is exactly identical to his, so no changes needed their either. Overall this is interesting information, but he's making some bad assumptions (namely assuming that the output format indicates the processing format) and it's nothing I haven't tested out already.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention regardless.

Hm, that is a good point. Energy functions in that way, where the energy bar displays rounded values but there's actually no rounding going on when calculating reduced energy costs when you have Power Efficiency mods. Damage could very well be done in the same way.

EDIT: Ok, so I talked to him and he was fairly sure it does round (he also tests things fairly thoroughly as you may have seen in those research blogs). I then tested it in-game myself, and my results also suggest that it does:

I used a Braton Prime with rank 2 Serration. That's 25 * 1.3 = 32.5 damage -> 32 damage (rounded down).

My friend had a Frost with 450 shields. I shot him 5 times with it, and it did 32 damage each time:

450, 418, 386, 354, 322, 290

If there was not any rounding, we would have definitely seen it on the shield display. If damage was not rounded, but shields were rounded down (has to be some sort of rounding on the display), it would have shown:

450, 417, 385, 352, 320,  287 (alternating 33 and 32 damage)

If shields were rounded up, or rounded to the nearest integer:

450, 418, 385, 353, 320, 288 (alternating 32 and 33 damage)

Edited by CitizenV
  • Upvote 1

Hm, that is a good point. Energy functions in that way, where the energy bar displays rounded values but there's actually no rounding going on when calculating reduced energy costs when you have Power Efficiency mods. Damage could very well be done in the same way.

EDIT: Ok, so I talked to him and he was fairly sure it does round (he also tests things fairly thoroughly as you may have seen in those research blogs). I then tested it in-game myself, and my results also suggest that it does:

I used a Braton Prime with rank 2 Serration. That's 25 * 1.3 = 32.5 damage -> 32 damage (rounded down).

My friend had a Frost with 450 shields. I shot him 5 times with it, and it did 32 damage each time:

450, 418, 386, 354, 322, 290

If there was not any rounding, we would have definitely seen it on the shield display. If damage was not rounded, but shields were rounded down (has to be some sort of rounding on the display), it would have shown:

450, 417, 385, 352, 320,  287 (alternating 33 and 32 damage)

If shields were rounded up, or rounded to the nearest integer:

450, 418, 385, 353, 320, 288 (alternating 32 and 33 damage)

After some extensive testing it appears that something weird is going on here. I can't seem to get results consistent with rounding or not rounding at all. Some fit, most do not.

However, given the hints via Twitter that U10 may launch this friday, I'll hold off trying to figure out exactly what they are doing until we see what Steve changes with the new formula.

Yeah that is a good idea. They could change everything completely D:. I'm not looking forward to having to trying to figure stuff out again, especially since Pwnatron hasn't been updating.

• Upvote 1

Yeah that is a good idea. They could change everything completely D:. I'm not looking forward to having to trying to figure stuff out again, especially since Pwnatron hasn't been updating.

You and me both. I get the feeling that I may have to rewrite my entire calc.

After some extensive testing it appears that something weird is going on here. I can't seem to get results consistent with rounding or not rounding at all. Some fit, most do not.

Getting the right order of rounding is important, as an incorrect formula can return good results most but not all of the time.

Though, if your damage calculator is still using approximations for enemy resistances, complete accuracy isn't really essential.

If it were... I'm curious how the game handles weapons where the fire rate isn't precisely divisible to the frame rate or internal clock.

Getting the right order of rounding is important, as an incorrect formula can return good results most but not all of the time.

Though, if your damage calculator is still using approximations for enemy resistances, complete accuracy isn't really essential.

If it were... I'm curious how the game handles weapons where the fire rate isn't precisely divisible to the frame rate or internal clock.

I was able to get extremely close by doing no rounding what-so-ever until the very end and then doing a direct integer cast. Basically: don't round at all until you go to actually apply the damage and then simply trunkate all decimal points. It probably won't make a huge difference however considering how it's likely to change completely later today.

Considering that very few games use framerate-based internal clocks anymore and they have gone out of their way to make the fire rate frame-rate independent it probably doesn't matter. If it does have an internal clock with a precision worse than a millisecond the most common way of handling that is to slate it to the closest slot and throw out any precision past that.

As to resistances and armor: they were removed from the calc early on due to the announcement of the complete damage/armor overhaul that we'll be getting later today. I'll be attempting to figure out the new system completely before I update the calc.

Edit - I really shouldn't post before I've had my coffee...

Edited by GottFaust
  • Upvote 1

First I wanted to say awesome program I love it. This may sound silly but when I put info into it which Damage should I be looking at? I know there's Crit Damage, but then there's average damage, dps, average dps and so on. Which ones should I care about the most out of all the info it provides?

First I wanted to say awesome program I love it. This may sound silly but when I put info into it which Damage should I be looking at? I know there's Crit Damage, but then there's average damage, dps, average dps and so on. Which ones should I care about the most out of all the info it provides?

Average Damage - Weighted average between critical and non-critical damage.

Damage per Mag - Total damage dealt before reloading.

DPS - Aggregate damage per second. It factors the the raw (burst) damage per second, magazine size, and reloads.

Burst DPS - Damage per second not factoring reloads.

What you should be looking for varies greatly depending on what you want out of a weapon.

Edited by GottFaust
  • Upvote 1

Just a quick reminder that development on this is postponed until we get Armor/Damage 2.0. I get the feeling that I'm going to have to completely rewrite the entire algorithm when it goes live.

• Upvote 3

Small update to add Corrupted Mods.

Still waiting on Damage/Armor 2.0 to do any serious development, but I figured it's taking long enough to release that I should keep it up to date on mods in the mean time.

Also: Only Heavy Caliber and Magnum Force actually result in a net DPS gain, and they're only good on the Ignis, Synapse, Flux and Embolist respectively due to the massive accuracy drop. Note that Critical Delay results in a major loss of DPS on the Vectis due to it taking up a more useful mod slot and the fact that the Vecits' fire rate dictates the delay between the shot and when reloading starts.

Edited by GottFaust
  • Upvote 1

Nice to see an update and nice to see you are ready to take on what ever damage 2.0 throws at us xD

Ready, waiting, and looking forward to it. I always love figuring out new things.
  • Upvote 1

Aaaaand we have 0.4.3 with a major fix to the DoT DPS calculation. Thanks to Patzer for pointing out the discrepancies in my DoT DPS calculations and inspiring me to find this bug. I have no idea how I missed it until now.

for some reason, adding seeker (pistol puncture) doesn't allow it to calculate. removing it fixes things.

for some reason, adding seeker (pistol puncture) doesn't allow it to calculate. removing it fixes things.

Nice catch. Fixed and uploaded without a version change. Re-download it and it should work now.

I had the word "Seeker" as seeker's mod power base. Turns out the word Seeker doesn't parse out as an acceptable double.

Edited by GottFaust
  • Upvote 1