Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Idea (Ability Cosmetics or Actual Ability Damage type Changes)

(PSN)Frost_Nephilim

Okay, have you ever had a moment where you're using a warframe and wished the warframe's abilities looked different? Maybe you're using atlas and want his rumblers to look like molten rock and monsters,  or you're using frost and you want his abilities to look more forest like, where his snow globe is now made of tree branches. 

Perfect example of what I mean is rhino who currently has 3 different Ability reskins for his iron skin which is gold, silver or iron, and your current energy color. Energy isn't iron its just some sort of hard energy that protectes you from bullets. 

We've been getting a lot of skins and syndanas that I absolutely love to death but if DE were to come out with Ability cosmetics or elemental ability changes I'd seriously have to cash out on them all xD!! ( for ability cosmetics skip to the "edit" pargraph or keep reading for ability damage type changes) I mean imagine ember summoning ice spikes from the ground rather then fire when using her world on fire ability! I have Ice spring equipped on her already,  would love to be able to take it to the next level. She'll maintain the way her abilities work while doing a different type of damage. 

To make it fit more in game, I offer making this idea for the warframe something like, a new warframe that doesn't affect mastery. We could find something left behind by a creator of a warframe, that is like some sort of crystal and it just so happens to be something they used to give the warframes their ability elemental damage types or desgins. The crystal must be used while crafting a warframe to give off the desired effect. Maybe allow us to rename the frame in the process while the warframe's actual name is in parentheses or something next to your new created warframe name. So a molten rock frost would cause lava to erupt from the ground and cover enemies for his fourth Ability, and cool the lava causing enemies to be incased in molten rock! Its basically still frost just in a different element. Still has his cc effects. His bubble can still be transparent by making it a lava bubble instead. 

Edit: Or just do ability Cosmetics that don't mess up the theme of the warframe. Like loki's disarm causing all enemy's attacks to be kicks like the moas do,  or maybe weild a weapon other than a sheeve or prova.  Or Nyx's chaos ability making the enemies eyes glow as if they're raging out. Or like the atlas molten rock tumblers mentioned in the first paragraph. The Cosmetics would have to be purchased or obtained from events! 

Any thoughts on this?

And which one do you prefer?  Ability damage type changes to warframe similar to chroma without the energy color affecting the abilities, instead something new 

Or ability cosmetics which are just reskins basically for abilities like rhino's iron skin going from gold to silver? 

Edited by (PS4)Ghost--00--
Changed everything up a bit (along with "Edit:" paragraph) based on feedback.

8 minutes ago, Gandergear said:

Most of your suggestions ruin the themes of the frames, but theme appropriate skins like for the rumblers? Sure

I was thinking maybe it could be apart of some future quest. The warframes were created. Why can't we learn to create parts of them again? Maybe allow us to name them with their original name in parentheses or something. 

Molten Rumblers sound cool. I was thinking of ;

- Frost's Snow Globe takes shape of an ice castle 

- Ember's 4th look like fireworks

- Volt's Speed gets Tron like energy trail

- Nova's Wormhole looks like blackhole

- Nekros's Desecrate gets ghastly figures ( like in Chains of Harrow quest ) around him while its active

etc. without breaking their themes.

Breaking the theme of the warframe's bothers you guys that much?  I mean the warframes still hold their rolls in the game. Is it just too much to handle or something lol. Like seeing ember,  a molten rock frost, a fire zephyr,  and a fire sayrn all together setting the map on fire isn't satisfying? 

Or are you two saying the element they use makes them unique along with the role of their abilities. Like Seeing hydroid turn into a puddle of bubbly acid upsets u cause its not really hydroid anymore its acidroid? 

Hmm, I dunno.

All that came to mind for me was making Nekros Shadows less of a visual detriment to use for the Squad, take away the foliage/flora on Oberon's Hallowed Ground and being able to use any energy color on Chroma.

If I take time to think more on such cosmetics, I might be able to imagine more, but those three were at the top.

1 minute ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Hmm, I dunno.

All that came to mind for me was making Nekros Shadows less of a visual detriment to use for the Squad, take away the foliage/flora on Oberon's Hallowed Ground and being able to use any energy color on Chroma.

If I take time to think more on such cosmetics, I might be able to imagine more, but those three were at the top.

Definitely with you on the chroma colors and nekros

3 hours ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

It’s a cool idea on paper, but doesn’t really fit Warframe that well.

Well I don't really see the harm in something like Excalibur proto skin having a differently designed sword that looks bigger, or nova's portal looking like a spiraling black hole as someone said above. The cosmetics don't have to be too big I mean, it could be something like rhino where he has 3 different skins that affect his iron skin appearance from gold,  silver,  or your current energy color (I was so happy when I seen I could use a energy colored iron skin and not the gold or silver lol). They've basically already done it I'm just asking that they do it more on a slightly bigger scale. Maybe have chroma's 4th ability create a full looking dragon that is transparent and made out of your energy color,  that way you won't have to look like someone ripped your chromas skin off which bothers some people I've recently found out. Or perhaps loki's decoy not being a display of Loki but instead captain vor or a kubrow. 

Sorry for the long paragraph lol,  I just see some fun things they could do with this for players who like a certain warframe but don't use it not because of the skin, but the way the ability looks. I had a squad m8 who made their banshee's fourth look like she was on fire, I was in awe lol, she was like an erupting volcano shaking the ground! 

9 hours ago, wtrmlnjuc said:

I like it as long as it doesn't break the theme of the Warframes. Or if it does, it would need a gameplay reason for breaking it.

Well how do you feel about bullet jump fx's such as lightning dash. They can basically mess up the theme of a warframe by choice. Does it bother you ever seeing a black and red frost using fire walker?

5 hours ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

Well how do you feel about bullet jump fx's such as lightning dash. They can basically mess up the theme of a warframe by choice. Does it bother you ever seeing a black and red frost using fire walker?

And there's a gameplay reason for changing it. Lightning Dash etc. add mobility and elemental damage. So no, it doesn't bother me. it would bother me to see Frost casting flames unless something like a Warframe Augment converted his abilities to fire.

Edited by wtrmlnjuc
missed a letter

On 1/17/2018 at 4:11 PM, wtrmlnjuc said:

And there's a gameplay reason for changing it. Lightning Dash etc. add mobility and elemental damage. So no, it doesn't bother me. it would bother me to see Frost casting flames unless something like a Warframe Augment converted his abilities to fire.

Gotchya, reworded everything. I still like the idea of actual ability changes and themed cosmetics,  Thanks for the feed back! 

It sounds like a good idea as long as the cosmetic doesn't break what the warframe's primary element is. For ex:

22 hours ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

I mean imagine ember summoning ice spikes from the ground rather then fire when using her world on fire ability! I have Ice spring equipped on her already,  would love to be able to take it to the next level. 

Icy Ember? Sounds idiotic. But like you said with the molten rumblers, it seems like it would be a meh addition. The only problem is, how would you obtain these ability cosmetics. Plat? Crafting? Aside from that, i like the idea.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)XxDenyer143xX said:

It sounds like a good idea as long as the cosmetic doesn't break what the warframe's primary element is. For ex:

Icy Ember? Sounds idiotic. But like you said with the molten rumblers, it seems like it would be a meh addition. The only problem is, how would you obtain these ability cosmetics. Plat? Crafting? Aside from that, i like the idea.

Yea the abilities would have to actually have a change in elemental effects. Plus ember's just a name, I used "icy ember" because its the best way to describe what I mean by keeping the way her abilities worked with ice instead of fire. Like icy Excalibur to firey Excalibur using the chromatic blade augment. Ability type basically changes to something else. 

23 hours ago, (PS4)XxDenyer143xX said:

Just Added the answer to my first post in the "Edit:" pargraph. Play for sure though!